Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-27-2022, 10:31 AM   #1

Question inverter question

Xantrex 3000 inverter question When I scroll though the control panel (precision control systems) It comes up Inverter none. THe inverter is on and I hear it kick in. However I am not getting any power to my 120 volt receptacles on inverter power. When I plug into shore power everything works. Yesterday I ran the ac and the receptacles on inverter but today wont run except the shore power..Advice thanks
boiledowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-27-2022, 12:49 PM   #2

Unless you have quite a big battery bank I wouldn’t think you would get much time running your AC before the batteries are run down. Depending how low they were they might not have had time to recharge.
Old 06-27-2022, 02:18 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by boiledowl View Post
Yesterday I ran the ac and the receptacles on inverter but today wont run except the shore power..Advice thanks

Are you sure that had no other power source than you Xantrex inverter? I have never heard, nor seen, a RV air conditioner run off of an inverter.

What kind of RV do you have>
matcoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 02:56 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

It sounds as though the batteries may be discharged to the point where the inverter cannot operate, typically around 11v. Did you recharge (from shore power) after the previous inverter use?

It is highly unusual to have the a/c wired to the inverter, since few rigs have enough battery amp-hours to power the inverter more than a few minutes via the inverter. Is this a custom set-up?
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 04:44 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by matcoman View Post

Are you sure that had no other power source than you Xantrex inverter? I have never heard, nor seen, a RV air conditioner run off of an inverter.

There are lots of people posting about running off an inverter in these forums. Most factory units, especially older ones are not wired that way.

There are some units that now come with whole house inverters wired in at the transfer switch. Many people who have installed medium to large solar and battery banks install single in-line and now there are dual in-line inverters.

In my case my inverter with 60 amp pass though is wired at the transfer switch to L1. Any item on L1, including an A/C will run off my inverter. I only have 6 AGM batteries so can only run about 2.5 hours with no additional input. This comes in real handy when trying to run both A/C on a 30 amp hook up.

Now you have heard about it and know at least 1.
Nwcid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 05:44 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by matcoman View Post

Ok, this is coachmen crosstrek 27 xg. I am kind of new so this is all a learning experience for me. I have a single deep cycle 12 volt agm battery, xantrex 3000 inverter and a inteli-power model pd9280a 9200 series converter charger. So from what I am hearing you all telling me is that everything runs off the battery and I may have run it down to the point being to low to operate the 120 volt receptacles. Is this true? ( I plugged it in to shore power since yesterday but have not been out yet to check on it). So the inverter only allows me to run 120 volts off my battery and the PD9289 intelli power is my battery charger for this deep cycle battery...THanks all..
Old 06-28-2022, 07:36 AM   #7

wow, something doesn't seem right! a 3000 watt inverter and a single battery?

do you have a residential refrigerator? we do and it runs off a 2000 watt inverter. why would they put a 3000 watt inverter in your unit unless it is also designed to run more stuff than just a refrigerator. but a single battery is not enough for just a refrigerator let alone more things.

your configuration seems perplexing.
bigchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 05:21 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigchick View Post
wow, something doesn't seem right! a 3000 watt inverter and a single battery?

do you have a residential refrigerator? we do and it runs off a 2000 watt inverter. why would they put a 3000 watt inverter in your unit unless it is also designed to run more stuff than just a refrigerator. but a single battery is not enough for just a refrigerator let alone more things.

your configuration seems perplexing.

not a residential fridge.it is a norcold 12 volt. The inverter is designed to run the the A/C along with the microwave and other 120v receptacles
Old 06-29-2022, 07:48 AM   #9

Quote:
not a residential fridge.it is a norcold 12 volt. The inverter is designed to run the the A/C along with the microwave and other 120v receptacles
If you are correct then the refrigerator does not appear to utilize the inverter for it's power since the inverter transforms 12V power from the battery into 120V power, thereby, the 12V systems would not be on the inverter. Your inverter might be capable of running the items you describe above but, with only 1 battery, provided you are running off the battery only, with no other source of power, your battery would be depleted very quickly unless that 1 battery has a massive amount of amp hour capacity. The 3000 watt inverter, the 120V circuits you describe as running off the inverter and only 1 house battery is not consistent with expectations for a fully functioning system.
2007 Newmar Baystar; 3201; SumoSprings Front; Timbren Springs Rear; Safe-T-Plus; 2016 Fiat 500; Roadmaster Falcon 2;Demco SBS DUO Braking System;TST 507; Bilstein shocks; Garmin RV 785; Supersteer Rear Trac Bar, Thule Easyfold XT2,RVWhisper
rffowler55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 07:57 AM   #10

Agree, that single battery is NOT sized appropriately for a 3000 watt inverter.

Were you to demand all 3000 watts, divide by 12 VDC gives you a 250 amp draw on that poor battery.

Now, if shore power did not recharge the battery (let us know either way): You need to tell us if this is a 3000 watt inverter/CHARGER or if you have a separate converter.
Old 06-29-2022, 10:40 AM   #11

Quote:
Ok, this is coachmen crosstrek 27 xg. I am kind of new so this is all a learning experience for me. I have a single deep cycle 12 volt agm battery, xantrex 3000 inverter and a inteli-power model pd9280a 9200 series converter charger. So from what I am hearing you all telling me is that everything runs off the battery and I may have run it down to the point being to low to operate the 120 volt receptacles. Is this true? ( I plugged it in to shore power since yesterday but have not been out yet to check on it). So the inverter only allows me to run 120 volts off my battery and the PD9289 intelli power is my battery charger for this deep cycle battery...THanks all..
single deep cycle 12 volt agm battery
xantrex 3000 inverter
Progressive Dynamics Inteli-power PD9280A converter charger

A Xantrex 3000 watt inverter is capable of running one 1200 to 1800 watt air conditioner. It is possible it could run two 1200 watt air conditioners.

AGM batteries come in many different sizes. However, one AGM battery used in an RV is nowhere near capable of supporting a Xantrex 3000 watt inverter.

A 3000 watt inverter requires a 600 amp hour battery bank. That could be six 100 amp hour 12 volt lead acid batteries.

A 1500 watt air conditioner would require a 300 amp hour battery to run the air conditioner for one hour using the Xantrex 3000. It would require double that battery bank size to start the compressor motor.

As you can see, running air conditioners for hours using an inverter and a 12 volt battery bank requires extremely large battery banks as well as a large inverter. Most RV owners choose to use shore power or generator power to run air conditioners in hot weather.

It is unlikely that you ever ran your air conditioners using the Xantrex 3000 and your one battery.
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 10:45 AM   #12

If you want us to tell you how to operated the Xantrex 3000 inverter, you will have to post the full Xantrex model number. Xantrex makes or has made dozens of 3000 watt inverters. Most have different operating systems.
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 10:51 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
I looked up his RV - it's got a lot of battery:

Quote:
Largest Battery Capacity in Class - 400 AMP Hour AGM gives you more time off the grid (Optional 800 AMP Hour Lithium Available)
And it does have a 3000w inverter.

Quote:
3000 Watt Inverter - Pass through inverter provides power when needed, flexible to work with either AGM or lithium batteries.
And, it does run the A/C

Quote:
Renogy Empowered State-of-art Hybrid Electrical System - Designed to operate every coach function from battery power, including A/C. Convenient for operating systems while traveling without the use of a generator.
I noticed that his is a 2020 so it's a bit different:

Quote:
The 330Ah AGM battery with state-of-the-art 3000 Watt Xantrex inverter,
It is a smaller A/C unit: 11.5 BTU
Old 06-29-2022, 03:02 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
I looked up his RV - it's got a lot of battery:

And it does have a 3000w inverter.

And, it does run the A/C

I noticed that his is a 2020 so it's a bit different:

t

It is a smaller A/C unit: 11.5 BTU

that about sums it up. The battery did operate my a/c for about 45 minute one day and 30 minutes the next. I am aslo tinkering around with a tv set and firestick These did all run on battery power alone. I think however as someone mentioned the battery was run down too much the third day to supply 120 volt power. I plugged in to shore power for 3 days and today unplugged the shore and everything is working as should be. I think coachmen kind of made it sound like this battery config would last a lot longer than it should but oh well. Now onto my propane leak.. UGH.... I do appreciate y'all..

Tags
inverter