Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-23-2021, 07:49 AM   #1

Inverter repair, or just replace it

Doing a systems check this spring, my inverter is throwing a fault for transfer relay problem. Therefore I cannot invert, but AC passes through fine, and the house batteries charge. Model is a Xantrex Freedom 2000, I’m on the fence about trying to get it repaired versus just getting a new Magnum 2000watt and calling it a day. Would prefer the better option, vs just going for the cheaper option. So I guess my question is, Would you trust a repaired unit in the same way as a new one, or just replace it and move on?
Part Timer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-23-2021, 08:03 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Part Timer View Post
Doing a systems check this spring, my inverter is throwing a fault for transfer relay problem. Therefore I cannot invert, but AC passes through fine, and the house batteries charge. Model is a Xantrex Freedom 2000, I’m on the fence about trying to get it repaired versus just getting a new Magnum 2000watt and calling it a day. Would prefer the better option, vs just going for the cheaper option. So I guess my question is, Would you trust a repaired unit in the same way as a new one, or just replace it and move on?
Can you afford it? If so, get a brand new unit. I like My magnum just fine if that helps. Also, the other thing to consider is downtime for a repair. If you are on a budget and aren't in a hurry, you could see what it would cost to repair it.
iluvuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 08:30 AM   #3

Yes, I can afford to get a new one. Probably end up going that route, was just curious to hear other peoples opinions.
Part Timer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 08:38 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
I would have no issue trusting a repaired device. Especially since, in my opinion, this is a nice-to-have type thing, not a must have or something that you can't be without. If when working it does everything you need, and the repair is noticeably less expensive, then that'd be the way I'd go. If a newer model has features you'd like to have, then you can take this opportunity to upgrade.
Old 04-23-2021, 10:47 AM   #5

Both are good inverters, a transfer switch is cheap and simple to replace. If it passes shore power you might even be able to clean the contacts for the inverter power and have it work again.

One thing I would consider is what you'll have to do to install a new remote panel for the Magnum. Pulling wiring in these definitely requires patience and ingenuity. Opening size differences between the 2 might give you some headaches.
Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 11:04 AM   #6

My suggestion, if you decide to replace, is to purchase a Pure Sine.

Ray
texasrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 11:14 AM   #7

Jayco Owners Club
A deciding factor for me would be to determine the cost to repair vs replacement. I would contact Xantrex and see if they could tell me what the repair would cost for the transfer switch (they would probably tell you they can only give an estimate after they get it and determine what all is needed). Once they get it and give you an estimate, then you would be in a better position to make a decision. I would have no concerns with a repaired unit that was repaired by an authorized Xantrex shop as I highly suspect they would also tell you if your inverter appeared to be at the end of its life or not. On the other hand, if I didn't like it anyway because it wasn't powerful enough or wasn't pure sine wave and I wanted pure sine wave or any reason I didn't care for it, I would not waste my time with a repair and simply purchase the inverter that I wanted. ~Craig
CRV2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 11:26 AM   #8

Had mine repaired at a boat repair facility that was a Magnum source. It's been 8 years since, trouble free.
Old 04-23-2021, 11:42 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If it's a MSW to PSW upgrade, I'd for sure do it. Magnum tech folks can likely provide details of best model and lifting required.

The existing remote cable can likely be reused, maybe with a modification or adapter. I did a xantrex to magnum and the existing cable worked as is.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 11:43 AM   #10

Alpine Owners Club
From someone who's been down this rabbit hole...replace it or do what I did.
Our Freedom 2000 did the same thing only the transfer circuit failed all together, leaving most of the coach in the dark on shore power or gen set.
Nearly everything 15a or less in our coach went thru the breaker sub panel, connected to the Freedom 2000. Who the heck runs the convection oven or anything plugged in to an outlet, such as a portable heater, toaster or hair dryer off their inverter with a 7.5 Onan onboard? All things considered our coach was wired to potentially overload the Freedom transfer circuit, which it did while on vacation. The converter/charger still functioned normally though...
No one locally seemed very interested in repairing our old Xantrex and I didn't really feel like dropping 2large on something rarely used.
As a "quick fix" I disconnected the inverter feed leg to the sub panel and wired it from the unused washer/dryer breaker in the main panel. I purchased a 300w PSW inverter and "temporarily" wired it independently to the 15a circuit feeding both TV's, kitchen overhead light and the two bedroom outlets. Perfect, now I can rest stop boondock, watch TV and use my cpap in the bedroom. I guess you need to ask yourself what do you use your inverter for? If you're like us mainly to watch a movie quietly at night, or use a cpap then perhaps this is a relatively cheap alternative.
Yes, someday I'll probably buy a new Magnum and replace the Xantrex, but for now the old non inverting inverter works just fine, since we probably spend 90% of the time on shore power.
2000 Alpine 36 FDS #74058
04 Jeep Wrangler TJ
"On the road to find out..."
Alpine36 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 12:35 PM   #11

Looks like AC boards run 250 to 350 this places sells parts looked at two those were prices . So my guess for service $500 minimum. Maybe more for 2way shipping. I'm not saying this is your exact issue or boards although there are relays on them. I wanted to see if you can actually get boards.A few times on here owners found burnt internal fuses as well as me opening up their inverters.Your symptoms don't sound like this.
https://inverterservicecenter.com/11...EALw_wcB#intro

https://inverterservicecenter.com/Xa...-0131-03#intro
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 12:49 PM   #12

I take it you're beyond the 2-year warranty?
SacRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 04:06 PM   #13

Don’t know if you are close enough to get to Elkhart, Indiana; but there is a Xantrex repair facility there. You cannot just walk in. You have to call Xantrex and get a Return Authorization Number. I wrote the number on a 3x5 card, taped to top of unit. Walked in to the Elkhart facility with my Xantrex on my hand truck and was stopped by an employee stating they didn’t accept walk in service. But he stopped and you have an RA#. I’ll call a tech. The tech stated it would be about two days. I got a call the next morning to pick it up. $90.00 charge. And the tech helped me put it back in the motor home.
mrboyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 06:13 PM   #14

How long do these inverters generally last?

I've been considering a Lithium battery upgrade which could also mean inverter as well. So if my 16 year old inverter is on borrowed time I can somewhat justify the required inverter swap.

Tags
ace, air, inverter, repair, replace