Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-03-2017, 08:08 PM   #29

A niche market, for sure

They had some of those set up for rent on full hookup RV lots at Mill Creek ranch Resort in Canton, TX.

Starting from the ground up:

They were build on very heavy-duty trailers. They sported tandem Dexter 8 bolt 7K Torflex axles with E-Rated (10 ply) LT tires. They had 10" main beams and 3" C-Channel outriggers. Connection was a lunette ring.

Floors were 16" OC 2X6 joists, OSB subfloors covered with laminate. Walls were 2X4 standard stud, 16" OC. Plumbing was all PEX. No holding tanks (like a FEMA trailer). Standard fixtures. Instant hot water. Windows were Pella equivalent. I think that they had standing seam steel roofing.

I thought that they were built sturdily enough to be transported. I would not hesitate to haul one to a long-term destination such as one of the Thousand Trails Resorts or some of the lakeside resorts that sell or lease spots. If you decide to move your weekend cabin to the mountains, well then, slap your pintle hitch into the receiver of your 3/4 ton pickup (or rent a U-Haul) and be on your way. You can have a vacation home in the mountains for the summer, and on the coast for the winters.

Is it a traditional RV? I wouldn't call it that. But you can't call the FEMA trailers that are now everywhere a true "RV" either. The tiny houses aren't really set up for boondocking, but I don't think that their target demographic group is into dry camping at remote locations.
DryCreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!