RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 08-01-2020, 06:40 AM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Posts: 17
Is it new or used?

This is my first large RV a 40' diesel pusher with Cummins. Without naming names I bought this long distance without actually seeing the coach. I looked at several and drove one on the lot but when I got back to my home state(1000 miles away) I saw a different one on line I liked better. Got a sales contract that stated it was "new" with 0 miles. We agreed to a price and I wired them the money. I get the title paperwork and it all says there is 2200 miles on it!

Needless to say I am upset and think I am being duped here. Now I understand there may be 1000 miles to get it from the midwest to the dealer but 2200 seems excessive. I cannot get to the dealer for probably a month and last night the dealer said he would investigate and find out why there are so many miles on it. He said they would wire my money back if that's what I wanted so they doing the right thing IMO. I'm sure they could resell this rig quickly.

So I feel good they aren't trying to pull one over on me but I think at the minimum I should ask for a service before delivery or a free one when it is due. Not sure how many miles the first service should be. Am I being unreasonable here?
__________________

eastern1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-01-2020, 06:51 AM   #2
Community Moderator
 
Lt Dan's Avatar


 
Tiffin Owners Club
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: DFW, Texas
Posts: 4,996
It could have been used by the dealer as a display unit at shows. I agree that 2200 miles is excessive for delivery. Find out exactly when the chassis was put in service because your warranty on it will start then. Also, make sure the date you purchase is the date your full warranty starts. To me the miles would not be a deal killer if you like the coach and everything else is okay. I would insist on a full service, especially if the in service date is six months old. I think Freightliner still requires first service at six months.
__________________

__________________
Dan & Ro with two Rescued Boston "Terrorists" Jade & Jewel
2017 Phaeton 40IH XSH Maroon Coral - Power Glide Chassis with IFS (05/17)
Previously '15 Tiffin Allegro RED 38QRA and '06 Itasca Sunrise 35A
'16 Jeep JKU Wrangler Sahara or '08 Honda Goldwing
Lt Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 07:30 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
CountryB's Avatar
 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Orlando, Florida
Posts: 4,816
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastern1 View Post
Got a sales contract that stated it was "new" with 0 miles. We agreed to a price and I wired them the money. I get the title paperwork and it all says there is 2200 miles on it!
You are in a good position to get the priced reduced - or cancel the purchase. There is no amount of weasel talk I would accept. You should demand a price reduction (look up a typical "car lease contract" and see how much they charge the lessee for going over the agree mileage when they turn the leased car back in (x$/mile over the maximum allowed mileage). That could be the starting point for this negotiation.

Also check that this Coach was not "titled". Do a VIN search or Carfax or similar search. Any vehicle that was titled previously is not considered "new" and the price of a used Coach (same model year) is at least 15% below new.
__________________
Mike ----- 2005 Beaver Patriot Thunder CAT C13 525HP, 42-ft Tag, with HydraLift -----
*SMC-Bvr-Mnco History/Chassis Info https://1drv.ms/f/s!AtvAXw_lfqbToxXYREK9YdBP08Jn
*SMC-Bvr-Mnco Wiring Diagrams https://1drv.ms/f/s!AtvAXw_lfqbTm0WTuuNqpn9a8hCh
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 07:55 AM   #4
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Posts: 17
Thanks. I don't think being upset is unreasonable but being new to this I wanted to hear others opinions. I will do a VIN search and see what shakes out. Should hear from dealer today so I will post what happens. Don't want to kill the deal but I feel they should offer something.
eastern1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 08:20 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Boston,ma
Posts: 183
Not to change the subject ( assuming all works out and you do go through with the deal ) but are you going to have this delivered or are you picking it up and driving it home yourself ? finalizing the deal without you personally doing the pre delivery inspection and seeing everything work is a serious mistake. This should take hours and you need to do it yourself. Go back through previous posts and you will see what a disaster this has been for others. Do not trust the dealership people to have your best interests at heart.
JMHO, Buyer beware.
Roy-c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 08:50 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
jacwjames's Avatar
 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 6,989
Before buying our first motorhome, a Class C, we went to a lot of dealerships to look at motorhomes. I was surprised at the amount of mileage on some of the coaches that were being labeled as "new".

Some salesman said that some of the mileage was put on taking the rig to RV shows. Others said the owner would take different rigs on weekend trips to "test" them out. Oh ya, the rig was taken out for a bunch of test drives. That's my story and I'm sticking to it!!

Either way, mileage is mileage and the rigs loose value with every mile. Long term it may not make a difference but short time if you had to sell tomorrow you would take a hit.
__________________
Jim J
2002 Monaco Windsor 38 PKD
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee w/5.7 Hemi
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 09:03 AM   #7
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Posts: 17
Heard from the sales manager a while ago and he was very apologetic and said the business manager should have put the exact mileage on the sales contract from the beginning. He stated that the coach was driven there and was taken to a roundup by the dealership but never slept in. He said he would do a complete fluid change and give me my first service free and start the warranty from the date I picked it up and not from the mileage date. So I think they made an error and are willing to do the right thing including refund my money if I choose.

I am definitely planning on doing a personal walk through and orientation before I leave the lot. That is a given and they expect me to as well. Thanks
eastern1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 09:17 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Elk Grove CA
Posts: 897
And, on a positive note, it's been test-driven long enough for any new vehicle drive train/chassis issues to be eliminated.
__________________
BobC
2002 Itasca Suncruiser 35U
BCam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 09:27 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
AZ RV'r's Avatar


 
Fleetwood Owners Club
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Phoenix, AZ.
Posts: 320
I got mine with over 2000 miles new.

Dealer has about a dozen locations nationwide. When I asked how come so many miles?

They told me "Simple... went from the factory to Florida then some location then here. do the math, it adds up."

So I did and did milage from the factory to their location in Florida, then to the next stop, then to the dealer I bought it from and it was within about 100 miles. I was ok and purchased it.

Hope this helps.
__________________
2019 Fleetwood Southwind 37 F
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL - towing
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon - not towing
We RV'd ALL of the lower 48 states and into Canada
AZ RV'r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 10:27 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
deandec's Avatar


 
Country Coach Owners Club
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Northern California
Posts: 4,582
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy-c View Post
? finalizing the deal without you personally doing the pre delivery inspection and seeing everything work is a serious mistake. This should take hours and you need to do it yourself. Go back through previous posts and you will see what a disaster this has been for others. Do not trust the dealership people to have your best interests at heart.
JMHO, Buyer beware.
This is the best advice.
__________________
Dean
1995 38' CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
Gillig Bus Chassis
deandec is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 11:18 AM   #11
Senior Member/RVM #90
 
MSHappyCampers's Avatar
 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Columbus, MS
Posts: 42,192
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastern1 View Post
Heard from the sales manager a while ago and he was very apologetic and said the business manager should have put the exact mileage on the sales contract from the beginning. He stated that the coach was driven there and was taken to a roundup by the dealership but never slept in. He said he would do a complete fluid change and give me my first service free and start the warranty from the date I picked it up and not from the mileage date. So I think they made an error and are willing to do the right thing including refund my money if I choose.

I am definitely planning on doing a personal walk through and orientation before I leave the lot. That is a given and they expect me to as well. Thanks
Glad you got it worked out! Have fun and keep her between the ditches!
__________________
Joe & Annette
Sometimes I sits and thinks, sometimes I just sits.....
2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 01:48 PM   #12
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Posts: 17
Booked a a quick flight to go check it out in person Monday before I sign all the paperwork. It will be worth the peace of mind doing this as I can't get there before September due to obligations. Thanks for the advice and I am sure I will be back here for more.
eastern1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 01:57 PM   #13
Senior Member


 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Hoodsport Wa
Posts: 813
When I was a fleet guy it was not unusual to get trucks delivered with upwards of 3000 miles on the clock. Think about it, the chassis were produced in either Denton Texas, Montreal Quebec or Mexico, piggybacked to Watertown SD or Duluth Mn for body/aerial up fitting and driven to the Utility. The piggyback horse always had many more miles on it, and these were usually the best trucks. Delivered "broken in" so to speak.
__________________
2000 Alpine 36 FDS #74058
04 Jeep Wrangler TJ
"On the road to find out..."
Alpine36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 04:44 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
Tha_Rooster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Georgia
Posts: 6,210
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastern1 View Post
This is my first large RV a 40' diesel pusher with Cummins. Without naming names I bought this long distance without actually seeing the coach. I looked at several and drove one on the lot but when I got back to my home state(1000 miles away) I saw a different one on line I liked better. Got a sales contract that stated it was "new" with 0 miles. We agreed to a price and I wired them the money. I get the title paperwork and it all says there is 2200 miles on it!



Needless to say I am upset and think I am being duped here. Now I understand there may be 1000 miles to get it from the midwest to the dealer but 2200 seems excessive. I cannot get to the dealer for probably a month and last night the dealer said he would investigate and find out why there are so many miles on it. He said they would wire my money back if that's what I wanted so they doing the right thing IMO. I'm sure they could resell this rig quickly.



So I feel good they aren't trying to pull one over on me but I think at the minimum I should ask for a service before delivery or a free one when it is due. Not sure how many miles the first service should be. Am I being unreasonable here?


0 miles how do you think they got it, dropped off by a helicopter.
__________________

__________________
2007 Fleetwood Revolution LE 40V
Tha_Rooster is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Trading in - used to newer used tuffr2 5th Wheel Discussion 5 03-27-2015 05:26 AM
Visone RV ? Has anyone used these folks for used parts ? johnboy2 Monaco Owner's Forum 15 11-05-2014 03:49 PM
Buy new or used? Hate to pay full price of new. Too risky used? OswegoLion iRV2.com General Discussion 19 02-27-2014 08:28 AM
Are used 2000+ Windsors/Dynasty's a decent used RV? hogdriver Monaco Owner's Forum 4 06-16-2013 07:26 PM
Used Gas MH vs. used Diesel MH? tiniree Class A Motorhome Discussions 10 04-30-2006 07:57 AM

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:19 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×