RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-01-2020, 06:40 AM   #1

Is it new or used?

This is my first large RV a 40' diesel pusher with Cummins. Without naming names I bought this long distance without actually seeing the coach. I looked at several and drove one on the lot but when I got back to my home state(1000 miles away) I saw a different one on line I liked better. Got a sales contract that stated it was "new" with 0 miles. We agreed to a price and I wired them the money. I get the title paperwork and it all says there is 2200 miles on it!

Needless to say I am upset and think I am being duped here. Now I understand there may be 1000 miles to get it from the midwest to the dealer but 2200 seems excessive. I cannot get to the dealer for probably a month and last night the dealer said he would investigate and find out why there are so many miles on it. He said they would wire my money back if that's what I wanted so they doing the right thing IMO. I'm sure they could resell this rig quickly.

So I feel good they aren't trying to pull one over on me but I think at the minimum I should ask for a service before delivery or a free one when it is due. Not sure how many miles the first service should be. Am I being unreasonable here?

eastern1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-01-2020, 06:51 AM   #2
Community Moderator

Tiffin Owners Club
It could have been used by the dealer as a display unit at shows. I agree that 2200 miles is excessive for delivery. Find out exactly when the chassis was put in service because your warranty on it will start then. Also, make sure the date you purchase is the date your full warranty starts. To me the miles would not be a deal killer if you like the coach and everything else is okay. I would insist on a full service, especially if the in service date is six months old. I think Freightliner still requires first service at six months.

'16 Jeep JKU Wrangler Sahara or '08 Honda Goldwing
Lt Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 07:30 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastern1 View Post
Got a sales contract that stated it was "new" with 0 miles. We agreed to a price and I wired them the money. I get the title paperwork and it all says there is 2200 miles on it!
You are in a good position to get the priced reduced - or cancel the purchase. There is no amount of weasel talk I would accept. You should demand a price reduction (look up a typical "car lease contract" and see how much they charge the lessee for going over the agree mileage when they turn the leased car back in (x$/mile over the maximum allowed mileage). That could be the starting point for this negotiation.

Also check that this Coach was not "titled". Do a VIN search or Carfax or similar search. Any vehicle that was titled previously is not considered "new" and the price of a used Coach (same model year) is at least 15% below new.
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 07:55 AM   #4

Thanks. I don't think being upset is unreasonable but being new to this I wanted to hear others opinions. I will do a VIN search and see what shakes out. Should hear from dealer today so I will post what happens. Don't want to kill the deal but I feel they should offer something.
Old 08-01-2020, 08:20 AM   #5

Not to change the subject ( assuming all works out and you do go through with the deal ) but are you going to have this delivered or are you picking it up and driving it home yourself ? finalizing the deal without you personally doing the pre delivery inspection and seeing everything work is a serious mistake. This should take hours and you need to do it yourself. Go back through previous posts and you will see what a disaster this has been for others. Do not trust the dealership people to have your best interests at heart.
JMHO, Buyer beware.
Roy-c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 08:50 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Before buying our first motorhome, a Class C, we went to a lot of dealerships to look at motorhomes. I was surprised at the amount of mileage on some of the coaches that were being labeled as "new".

Some salesman said that some of the mileage was put on taking the rig to RV shows. Others said the owner would take different rigs on weekend trips to "test" them out. Oh ya, the rig was taken out for a bunch of test drives. That's my story and I'm sticking to it!!

Either way, mileage is mileage and the rigs loose value with every mile. Long term it may not make a difference but short time if you had to sell tomorrow you would take a hit.
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 09:03 AM   #7

Heard from the sales manager a while ago and he was very apologetic and said the business manager should have put the exact mileage on the sales contract from the beginning. He stated that the coach was driven there and was taken to a roundup by the dealership but never slept in. He said he would do a complete fluid change and give me my first service free and start the warranty from the date I picked it up and not from the mileage date. So I think they made an error and are willing to do the right thing including refund my money if I choose.

I am definitely planning on doing a personal walk through and orientation before I leave the lot. That is a given and they expect me to as well. Thanks
Old 08-01-2020, 09:17 AM   #8

And, on a positive note, it's been test-driven long enough for any new vehicle drive train/chassis issues to be eliminated.
Old 08-01-2020, 09:27 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
I got mine with over 2000 miles new.

Dealer has about a dozen locations nationwide. When I asked how come so many miles?

They told me "Simple... went from the factory to Florida then some location then here. do the math, it adds up."

So I did and did milage from the factory to their location in Florida, then to the next stop, then to the dealer I bought it from and it was within about 100 miles. I was ok and purchased it.

Hope this helps.
We RV'd ALL of the lower 48 states and into Canada
AZ RV'r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 10:27 AM   #10

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy-c View Post
? finalizing the deal without you personally doing the pre delivery inspection and seeing everything work is a serious mistake. This should take hours and you need to do it yourself. Go back through previous posts and you will see what a disaster this has been for others. Do not trust the dealership people to have your best interests at heart.
JMHO, Buyer beware.
This is the best advice.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
Gillig Bus Chassis
deandec is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 11:18 AM   #11
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Heard from the sales manager a while ago and he was very apologetic and said the business manager should have put the exact mileage on the sales contract from the beginning. He stated that the coach was driven there and was taken to a roundup by the dealership but never slept in. He said he would do a complete fluid change and give me my first service free and start the warranty from the date I picked it up and not from the mileage date. So I think they made an error and are willing to do the right thing including refund my money if I choose.

I am definitely planning on doing a personal walk through and orientation before I leave the lot. That is a given and they expect me to as well. Thanks
Glad you got it worked out! Have fun and keep her between the ditches!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 01:48 PM   #12

Booked a a quick flight to go check it out in person Monday before I sign all the paperwork. It will be worth the peace of mind doing this as I can't get there before September due to obligations. Thanks for the advice and I am sure I will be back here for more.
Old 08-01-2020, 01:57 PM   #13

When I was a fleet guy it was not unusual to get trucks delivered with upwards of 3000 miles on the clock. Think about it, the chassis were produced in either Denton Texas, Montreal Quebec or Mexico, piggybacked to Watertown SD or Duluth Mn for body/aerial up fitting and driven to the Utility. The piggyback horse always had many more miles on it, and these were usually the best trucks. Delivered "broken in" so to speak.
2000 Alpine 36 FDS #74058
04 Jeep Wrangler TJ
"On the road to find out..."
Alpine36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 04:44 PM   #14

Quote:
This is my first large RV a 40' diesel pusher with Cummins. Without naming names I bought this long distance without actually seeing the coach. I looked at several and drove one on the lot but when I got back to my home state(1000 miles away) I saw a different one on line I liked better. Got a sales contract that stated it was "new" with 0 miles. We agreed to a price and I wired them the money. I get the title paperwork and it all says there is 2200 miles on it!

Needless to say I am upset and think I am being duped here. Now I understand there may be 1000 miles to get it from the midwest to the dealer but 2200 seems excessive. I cannot get to the dealer for probably a month and last night the dealer said he would investigate and find out why there are so many miles on it. He said they would wire my money back if that's what I wanted so they doing the right thing IMO. I'm sure they could resell this rig quickly.

So I feel good they aren't trying to pull one over on me but I think at the minimum I should ask for a service before delivery or a free one when it is due. Not sure how many miles the first service should be. Am I being unreasonable here?

0 miles how do you think they got it, dropped off by a helicopter.