Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-09-2020, 04:57 PM   #29

Depends. To begin with an RV is basically a money pit. You pour money into it and get enjoyment ( and sometimes aggravation ) back. Houses appreciate and RV's depreciate. They are toys, and costly ones at that. Most of the time you don't get the money back that you put into one in upgrades and sometimes the upgrade that you love kills the sale to the next person. A case in point, we looked at a high end, older class A that was in reasonable shape that the owner had redone the interior. He stripped it out completely and installed interior shiplap walls that he made out of plywood and painted with latex paint. He also painted the cabinets. He and the wife thought they were a great selling point. I couldn't get out of there quickly enough. That unit was for sale for years and ended up going for less than 1/2 the original asking price.
Buy an older RV if that is what suits you and make it your own. Use and enjoy it, that is how you get your investment back.
And yes I do have an older RV. 1987 Wanderlodge, and we love it.
One other thing. If you do go for an older RV get a high end model.
Roy-c is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-09-2020, 06:02 PM   #30

I have to throw my 2 cents in on this topic. I was very patient ( looked for 2+ years online) and found my ideal motorhome. It's a class a pusher that was very well built for it's time. I knew it needed work but runs and drives great. Picked it up for $5500! I know I won't get all my money back and certainly not my.time but I am giddy just thinking about how I own my "dream" machine for what I can afford.

I still have a young family and work full time. The idea of getting on the road and making memories while I drive this amazing time machine makes me happy. I will be remodeling and upgrading several things along the way. I know that in the end when the time comes to sell I don't care what I get back because the adventure is worth it
nbluesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 06:58 PM   #31

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVPioneer View Post
Can you provide an example of something that might be added that couldn’t be removed?
Quartz Counters, remodeled cabinets, flooring.....to name a few
2006 Alpenlite 32RL - Sold
paul65k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 10:19 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVPioneer View Post
Can you provide an example of something that might be added that couldn’t be removed?
Calling it "a remodel" when all somebody did was paint everything white bugs me. It's very easy to throw paint around and the devil to get it off.

An example that killed me was a local guy who had a quite large hand carved wooden eagle in his front yard as part of the decor. Wasn't really to my taste but it was a very nice carving and surely not cheap. One day I went by and saw that he had decided to paint it. Not very realistically, just brown and white with a yellow beak. So if you didn't know it was wooden sculpture you'd now think it was just some plastic thing that came from a thrift store. Or maybe one of those cast concrete things.

Kind of the same effect when someone paints woodwork cabinetry. I get that the finish, oak, cherry, whatever may not appeal but just slapping paint all over it is often just kind of cheesy and the reverse of an improvement. If the cabinetry is actual wood then it's possible to remove the paint but it's an awful job. If it's actually particle board stuff with a plastic veneer and you paint it, it's pretty much permanent. Best you can do is repaint it.
GypsyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 05:04 AM   #33

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyR View Post
Calling it "a remodel" when all somebody did was paint everything white bugs me. It's very easy to throw paint around and the devil to get it off.

An example that killed me was a local guy who had a quite large hand carved wooden eagle in his front yard as part of the decor. Wasn't really to my taste but it was a very nice carving and surely not cheap. One day I went by and saw that he had decided to paint it. Not very realistically, just brown and white with a yellow beak. So if you didn't know it was wooden sculpture you'd now think it was just some plastic thing that came from a thrift store. Or maybe one of those cast concrete things.

Kind of the same effect when someone paints woodwork cabinetry. I get that the finish, oak, cherry, whatever may not appeal but just slapping paint all over it is often just kind of cheesy and the reverse of an improvement. If the cabinetry is actual wood then it's possible to remove the paint but it's an awful job. If it's actually particle board stuff with a plastic veneer and you paint it, it's pretty much permanent. Best you can do is repaint it.
So, don’t buy the one that’s painted white. Everything can still be repainted or removed. I’ve seen faux wood grain paint work that is so realistic you’d have to take a second or third look to realize that you’re not looking at real wood.

It wasn’t that long ago that paint was rare and considered a luxury. I’ve been in mansions that have incredibly ornate wood work throughout. Sometimes mahogany or oak. All painted, because it was considered a sign of wealth to be able to afford to paint the inside of your house.

Paint can be stripped from wood cabinets. Wood or particle board cabinets can be replaced. Wooden sculptures can be removed from yards, painted or not.
RVPioneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 09:17 AM   #34

Class A, maybe if it was a really top of the line coach to begin with and has never had leaks. Class C, never as most all of them leak in the cab over bunk area and the corners. I owned two older class Cs and the structural repairs never ended.
As others have said, don't expect to get your money back. 20+ year old coaches are impossible to finance. So you're looking for cash buyers willing to take a chance and there are one owner, well cared for coaches to choose from.
Teamfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 09:26 AM   #35

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy-c View Post
Depends. To begin with an RV is basically a money pit. You pour money into it and get enjoyment ( and sometimes aggravation ) back.
Buy an older RV if that is what suits you and makue it your own. Use and enjoy it, that is how you get your investment back.
And yes I do have an older RV. 1987 Wanderlodge, and we love it.
One other thing. If you do go for an older RV get a high end model.
Probably the best answer right here^^^^^
2000 Alpine 36 FDS #74058
04 Jeep Wrangler TJ
"On the road to find out..."
Alpine36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 06:30 AM   #36

I looked at a rebuild situation and almost liked it. You can do so much better for the interior layout and customization. I only purchased a new gasser because of the engine and wanting the newest tech advancement in fuel system delivery, ignition, and transmission.
terntes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 01:15 PM   #37

I agree that if you decide to go through with this, buy a high end model. We did and are very happy with our choice.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 01:28 PM   #38

Monaco Owners Club
We've done it twice. There are a lot of "that depends". We started with very high end coaches so I was able to recover the money spent on the last one.

Like Paul says, it also helps if you are willing to do the work yourself. At $150+ per hour for labor you can drain your account very fast.
To replace our current coach with a 2020 equivalent would cost well over $500k and we would not get some of the same features.
It's also rewarding when a job turns out well.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 08:58 PM   #39

Only remodel for what you personally want. That makes the rv your own and you will enjoy it more. DO NOT ever think you will make money at resale because of the work and expense you put in. This will not happen
ROADOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 08:50 PM   #40

Really It depends on the MH.
A friend owned a 1979(I think) Bluebird MH. Instead of spending the money to buy a new 1 million mile bus conversion he took his to the factory and had the interior completely redesigned to his wife's desires, had the drivetrain inspected and updated as necessary, electronics updated, then had the MH repainted.
He brought home a for all practical purposed a new MH. The total cost was less than a new Bluebird MH, yet he still paid taxes, insurance and license plates on a 1979 MH.
It really does depend on that with which you begin.
BTW, I know where another old Bluebird is parked behind a business if you're interested; it's been there so long the awnings are rotted away.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 04:32 AM   #41

OK, first of all I don't believe any bank ( or other lender ) will finance a 15-20 year old RV.
You could take out a home equity loan but that would be a personal choice.
As to an older Bluebird Wanderlodge ( we own a 1987 and love it ) they are surprisingly affordable, have million mile drivetrains and are built like a tank. Pretty complicated for their age ( they were top of the line when built and had what was then the best of everything )
While they are orphans ( manufacturer is now gone ) there is nothing that about them that hasn't been seen, fixed and documented by the owners at Wanderlodge Owners Group. All of the original blueprints and other records have been saved by this knowledgable and helpful group. I have found way more help there than I have seen others get from todays manufacturers.
Oh ya, no DEF, emissions and other problematic cheap junk.
Don't believe me, check out the WOG site for yourself. Read the posts looking for help and the quick replies they generate.
Roy-c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 03:50 PM   #42

Ford Super Duty Owner
My area of interest is more about the mechanics of a 15 - 25 year old model. New paint, floors, curtains and whatever else is fine. Fine to you but maybe not to the next buyer. I find it's tough to create a new look that is still neutral. Occasionally I will see posts of those who have redecorated and I think to myself, can you see what you've done here ? If you are doing a renewal with yourself in mind and no thoughts of selling then that is good. Many people attempt to sell an RV with their emotions included in the price. It's great that you love all you did to it but it may hold no value to a possible buyer and exactly no value to a ban who will loan money for it.

Just me, but the mechanical end of it needs to hold my highest attention when considering a purchase.

LSC9901 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
remodel