RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-08-2020, 06:14 PM   #1

Is remodeling an older RV sensible?

Iím talking about 15-20 year old class A or Class C...

Arguably, come of the older class Aís are built better than the newer ones...

You can easily change lights, counters, tile, flooring, showers, hardware, reupholster, newer electronics, better monitors, etc

Now, with a house, a remodel gets you your money back and then some...

What are folks experiences with remodeling RVís and selling them later?

I ask as almost every rv I saw when shopping, was original down to the gold fixtures and floral decor... almost never saw one with updates. And those that did, weíre asking twice what an original was asking...

Makes sense to me, you get a newer looking rv, still for 1/3 the price of a new one...

But whatís the real world experience? Iím sure banks donít finance based on looks, they live and did by blue book...

Any real world experiences appreciated...
bpu699 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-08-2020, 06:26 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
No experience yet. But, we are looking to put in LVP floors instead of carpet, add motorized blinds, change out some of the decorative fabrics and possibly paint the cabinets. Resale value had not been a consideration. The thinking is driven more by a desire to improve practicality, modernize the appearance and brighten the space.

We want to like it more than we already do.
Kluffinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 06:33 PM   #3

No idea what you are capable of doing but from my experience in completely refitting an older 28' RV and a 42' sailboat, you should double what ever you think it will cost.
Old 11-08-2020, 06:48 PM   #4

This question is the heart of how a person views Rving.
We have owned our Discovery for over 16 years. It is a 1999. At that time the coach was of good quality. Freightliner XC chassis, Cummins ISB 275 engine.
Over the years we have renewed the interior curtains, couches, sinks, water pumps, ac units, added voltage protection, changed the bedroom decorations,
plus all the normal maintenance tasks that occur over 130,000 miles that we
have put on the coach. Also a few major repairs: VP 44 high pressure pump,
bent front axle,and front air bags.
For us, the layout of the coach was what we have always wanted and enjoyed.
Enough space at 37 feet to be comfortable for long trips and stays in parts of the US.
Our advice would be to look for a recent used unit (which was what we did),
look for good quality with know good quality chassis and engine.
Do consider a maintenance insurance policy after any remaining warranty.
But make sure you like the layout.
Regards,
JimB
JBDISCOVERY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 06:48 PM   #5

My plans are simple...

All gold hardware replaced
Floral patterns removed
PO already reupholstered couches
Update camera to 4 way
Update radio for hands free/CarPlay/etc
Change gold faucets
Change gold shower doors
All new led lights
New battery management system
Led lighting strips
Tile backsplash RVís

Flooring is new, but carpeting, prior owner just did. No point in replacing...

Iím pretty much almost done. Removing the gold finishes and dated upholstery made a huge difference...

A cheap new class a diesel is 200k or so... buying used an upgrading really made sense... suprised more people donít do it...
Old 11-08-2020, 06:54 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
I have done a small C.. 1.5 times, once to get by then I learned and thought.. did it better,,

My Current 25 tobe yearsold c ,, I did a small face lift.. Lamfloor, tv, lights
lots of tehc updates:
smart bat chgr,, more battterys
fridge fans, inside and out,,
dig tv ant upgrades
hotspot/wifi/etc
sway control,cooling,mech update,
added usb chg repts

still need better AC
blinds
possible ditch dinnette for recline chairs..not sure yet
new microwve/convect....
sibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 07:00 PM   #7

Check out their YouTube channel for inspiration...

https://youtu.be/2J3iyyRjOQs
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	547009D6-A3ED-4AFE-AEBA-9BDB22C6729B.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	206.0 KB
ID:	307339  
Old 11-08-2020, 07:12 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
When we bought the coach ~11 years ago the carpeting was already showing age so the first thing I did was put down laminate. It has held up well and would do it again if faced with the same decision.
Fortunately the cabinetry in our coach is excellent condition and is probably superior then anything you could buy in a new coach (unless is was top of the line), no need to nothing there. The window treatments show a little weathering but still look pretty good.

As far as value, I doubt you would ever recover the difference in what you put into it. The decision to do any type of an remodel should be based on your personnel preference and what you would be satisfied with.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 07:51 PM   #9

One big plus of a vintage rig of the years you describe:
* somebody dealt with most of the warranty issues.

Based on my experience
* a RecreationVehicle probably could use some patching around the holes in the roof.
* a RecreationVehicle could probably use some attention to the plumbing and electrical.
* As we are learning, some RecreationVehicles can use a non-self-immolating replacement fridge.
* carpets could be replaced with tile or slate.
* bamboo flooring can replace carpet, too.

For powered RecreationVehicles, the running gear was designed to outlast the few miles a recreational user might accumulate, so you are probably good in that department.

For trailers, new brakes provide peace-of-mind.

All vehicles need new tires every six years... or sooner.

For my purposes, modifying the interior into a cozy mobile office meets my idea of practical.

Irregardless of the cost in materials and labor, the value of a vintage RecreationVehicle far exceeds the costs of a new rig after we look at depreciation, interest on loans, and warranty issues.

A new rig off-the-lot is just another new rig off-the-lot, while a well-loved vintage rig shows major class!
LargeMarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 08:13 PM   #10

I am going to answer this one as it made sense for me.

I bought a 1998 Beaver Patriot Savannah 33 footer in Fla between 2 Hurricanes for 15K. Motivated seller with a great running Cat 3126 330 hp engine and a Allison 6 speed transmission. The down side it had some water damage and the interior was dated.

Drove it home during a marathon evacuation time and started stripping and up dating the MH myself. Removed all the windows and had them resealed. Took off the padded wall paper and carpet from the walls and floors. Replaced the walls with vinyl clad aluminum over bead board. The floors went to LVT except in the bathroom which retained its factory installed tile.

Repairs included the Hurricane Heating system, Onan 7.5 diesel generator, new air bags, shocks, tires, fantastic fan, re upholstered seats, and some plywood for the water damage that was there.

Upgrades include a Safe-t-plus with a Super Steer self centering adjustment. TPMS, Garimn GPS, New back up camera, side and additional rear view camera with split screen monitor, 2 new roku smart TV's, new central stereo DVD/CD system, new mattress,New window valances and shades, Air tabs, a new Dometic 15K A/C unit on the front and one ordered for the rear! and a new custom built sofa/sleeper.

All of this added about another 15k and gave me a lot of piece of mind.
So all in I am around 30K and a lot of my time. The coaches I see for 30K all need something, and right now mine does not need anything. I know that will change as repairs are inevitable. But for 30K I have pretty much everything working like it was designed. I have also been offered all my money back, but feel like hanging onto it right now.

I feel like my coach has good bones and the maintenance has been caught up on. I have seen plenty of newer coaches with less than good bones form the factory and more issues than I would want to address. I did get bite on a little bit of hidden damage, but over all went in knowing what I was getting.

Honestly I would have liked to pay a little more had had to do a few less repairs, but short quality DP's are hard to find and I went for this one when I found it is decent enough shape.
crb478 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 08:21 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by crb478 View Post
I am going to answer this one as it made sense for me.

I bought a 1998 Beaver Patriot Savannah 33 footer in Fla between 2 Hurricanes for 15K. Motivated seller with a great running Cat 3126 330 hp engine and a Allison 6 speed transmission. The down side it had some water damage and the interior was dated.

Drove it home during a marathon evacuation time and started stripping and up dating the MH myself. Removed all the windows and had them resealed. Took off the padded wall paper and carpet from the walls and floors. Replaced the walls with vinyl clad aluminum over bead board. The floors went to LVT except in the bathroom which retained its factory installed tile.

Repairs included the Hurricane Heating system, Onan 7.5 diesel generator, new air bags, shocks, tires, fantastic fan, re upholstered seats, and some plywood for the water damage that was there.

Upgrades include a Safe-t-plus with a Super Steer self centering adjustment. TPMS, Garimn GPS, New back up camera, side and additional rear view camera with split screen monitor, 2 new roku smart TV's, new central stereo DVD/CD system, new mattress,New window valances and shades, Air tabs, a new Dometic 15K A/C unit on the front and one ordered for the rear! and a new custom built sofa/sleeper.

All of this added about another 15k and gave me a lot of piece of mind.
So all in I am around 30K and a lot of my time. The coaches I see for 30K all need something, and right now mine does not need anything. I know that will change as repairs are inevitable. But for 30K I have pretty much everything working like it was designed. I have also been offered all my money back, but feel like hanging onto it right now.

I feel like my coach has good bones and the maintenance has been caught up on. I have seen plenty of newer coaches with less than good bones form the factory and more issues than I would want to address. I did get bite on a little bit of hidden damage, but over all went in knowing what I was getting.

Honestly I would have liked to pay a little more had had to do a few less repairs, but short quality DP's are hard to find and I went for this one when I found it is decent enough shape.
Thatís the same for me... I really wanted a diesel. Class a diesel seem to start around $180k... and thatís on the cheap end. Looked at them, though wasnít seriously considering one. They felt a bit flimsy until you got to 300k$ or so...

A used diesel pusher was 1/10 that... even if you spend 10k on tires and updates... that still dirt cheap...
Old 11-09-2020, 08:40 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

I don't think you will get your money back, especially if you pay somebody else to do the remodel (DIY is much lower cost). However, a fresh look makes for a quicker & easier sale and helps assure you get top dollar rather than low-ball offers. However, you aren't going to increase the overall value much, just stay at the top end of the market range for that year & model. Also be aware that your perfect & beautiful remodel may not suit another persons tastes at all. Different strokes for different folks!

Remodeling makes sense if you plan to keep the rig awhile. Invest in your enjoyment and don't worry about a monetary return on investment.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 09:35 AM   #13

The problem with older Class A diesels is that the mechanical parts can eat your wallet up real quick. It depends on how they have been maintained and operated. Many older Class A pushers have things that are expensive and difficult to repair, hydraulic driven fans for example. Engines that are fast becoming more and more difficult to find someone to work on them, or parts that are very expensive due to low volume sales if they are available at all, new.

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed std cab long bed Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. Previous, Being repaired and will be sold, is a 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180. SOLD - 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.
CharlesinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 10:10 AM   #14

On the cabinets, if keeping and redoing. Look up gel stain. I had to redo mine because the cheep press wood swelt. to fix sewlt, I sanded, dried, sanded, thinned out expoxy rezon, and put that on, and sanded, stained. I painted multiple times, and hated the paint look. It was driving me nuts. Then I tried gel stain, it levels very nice, like a spray on finish.
I ripped out the cheep dynet, and went island type on wheels 2 stools and 2 droors. Ripped out the cheep couch and went gaming chair, as it reclines to full and goes up and down, also on wheels, can go outside, has lumbar vibrating pillow, retractable leg/foot rest.
Best of luck.
Traveler4321 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
remodel