Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-31-2014, 03:36 PM   #1
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 51
Is this MH California smog compliant?

I live in California. My friend, also a Californian, wants to buy a 2000 Safari Trek, model 2430 with a Chevy Vortec gasoline engine. The MH is registered in Texas. How can he be sure it complies with California's strict smog control requirements? Are all MHs made it the year 2000 fifty state compliant in regards to having the proper smog control equipment. I realize, even if it has all the smog control equipment, it still has to pass California's smog test.
Kenneth Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free! RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-31-2014, 05:37 PM   #2
Senior Member
falconman's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: On the Road
Posts: 1,219
There should be a factory emissions sticker under the hood. It will state if it is 50 state compliant. There are few exceptions that would allow a non compliant vehicle to be registered, but not many. If it doesn't have the 50 state smog endorsement, I wouldn't purchase. DMV is not smog friendly. If it does have the proper sticker it will still need a smog test conducted in Calif, and possible a VIN verification.
Dan & Arlene
2005 Monaco Dynasty Diamond IV
Chasing the good weather
falconman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 10:39 PM   #3
Senior Member
38Chevy454's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 849
I believe that even if a 49 state version, CA should have different limits for the 49 state for the testing. The motorhome will require all of the stock smog equipment in place.

However given CA illogic, you may have to retrofit additional smog stuff. Check with CA Air Resources Board (CARB) for exactly what is required. Never ass-u-me anything with CA political rules.
2017 Renegade Verona 36 VSB
2005 Kenworth Showhauler truck conversion. sold.
I used to have a handle on life, but it broke
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 10:49 PM   #4
Senior Member
stink's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,414
From a retired tech w/ smog license. Ca will not force you to install any smog stuff that your chev did not come equipped from the factory with. If something was removed then you will need to reinstall. Falcon man talks about the emissions label and this label will list all factory equipped emmissions devices. If and when you register in ca don't listen to the unscrupulous tech who tries to sell you an emmissions device not listed on your label. The bar has referee stations you can take your mh too to verify needed stuff. Your nh is OBD2 and most are 50 states anyways.
Dave and Laura & two cats
02 Discovery with Accord toad
retired auto rv tech and teacher, wife rt nurse
stink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 06:33 AM   #5
Senior Member
LEMO's Avatar
Fleetwood Owners Club
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Yuma, AZ
Posts: 219
From CAL DMV Web Site:
Buying a Vehicle From Out of State - Can You Register it in California? FFVR 29

(PDF) Version

The Bottom Line
If you are a California resident and acquire a new car, truck, or motorcycle from another state, it must be certified to meet California smog laws to be registered in California. This includes certain diesel-powered vehicles. DMV cannot accept an application to register a vehicle in California that does not qualify for registration (California Health and Safety Code 43150 – 43156).

What Is Considered a New Vehicle?
California considers any vehicle with less than 7,500 miles on the odometer at the time of purchase or trade by a California resident or business, to be a new vehicle. This is true whether or not the vehicle has been registered in another state.

Aren't All Vehicles California Certified?
Not all new vehicles are manufactured to be sold in California. Many manufacturers make vehicles to be sold only in the other 49 states. These vehicles (49-state) are made with smog equipment that meets federal emission standards, but not California standards. California-certified (50-state) vehicles are made to be sold in California.

Check the Label
To find out whether a car, truck, or motorcycle is California certified, check the emission label under the hood. For a motorcycle, check the frame or refer to your owner' s manual for the location. The label should read that the vehicle conforms to California regulations, or that it is legal for sale in California.

There are a few exemptions to the law. As a California resident, you may be able to register a 49-state vehicle if it was:

Obtained as part of a divorce, inheritance, or legal separation settlement.
Purchased to replace your California-registered vehicle that was stolen while you were using the vehicle out-of-state.
Purchased to replace your California-registered vehicle that was destroyed or made inoperative beyond reasonable repair while you were using the vehicle out of state.
An emergency vehicle, pursuant to California Vehicle Code 27156.2 and 27156.3.
Registered by you in the state of your last active military service outside California.
A street motorcycle or motor-driven cycle year model 2005 and older, with an engine less than 50 cubic centimeters (cc) displacement. Beginning January 1, 2006, street motorcycles and motor-driven cycles year model 2006 and newer, with engines less than 50 cc displacement, require an emission label certifying them to meet U.S. Environmental Protection Agency emission regulations, and may be registered regardless of mileage.

Does This Apply to Someone Moving to California?
If you are moving to California from another state, you may register a new 49-state vehicle if it was first registered by you in your home state, or for military personnel, in the last state of your military service. When applying for vehicle registration in California, you must provide evidence that the vehicle was registered.

Vehicles Purchased From Out of the Country (Grey Market)
California has special requirements for vehicles imported from other countries (including Canada and Mexico). It may be very costly or impossible to modify these vehicles to meet California emission requirements and/or federal motor vehicle safety standards (FMVSS). No direct import vehicle less than two years old can be converted to California emission standards. Not all direct import vehicles over two years old can be converted to California emission standards and FMVSS. No motorcycle or diesel-powered vehicle can be converted to California emission standards. For details, contact the California Air Resources Board (ARB).

Drive Clean
Are you looking to reduce your carbon footprint, save money on gas or just contribute less to smog? is California' s buying guide for clean and efficient vehicles. Since motor vehicles are responsible for more than half of the smog and global warming pollution in California, the vehicle you buy directly impacts air quality, global warming, and energy security.

Visit for more information about the Environmental Performance Label, to compare scores and to find the latest incentives.

More Information on…
California residency and vehicle importation laws and requirements visit DMV online at or call the DMV Technical Compliance Section at (916) 657-6795.
California Smog Check program, visit the Bureau of Automotive Repairs online at Bureau of Automotive Repair, State of California, Dept. of Consumer Affairs or call 1-800-952-5210.
California smog laws, grey-market vehicles, and 49-state vehicles, visit ARB online at Air Resources Board - Homepage or call 1-800-242-4450.
Off-highway vehicle registration, see the How to Register an Off-highway Vehicle (HTVR 19) brochure at How To Register an Off Highway Vehicle.
2018 Thor Windsport 31s
2004 Ford Sport Trac
LEMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 12:13 PM   #6
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 51
Thanks for the great info. I forwarded your replies to my friend. My friend spoke with a Trek representative and was told that model is CA compliant. Let's hope he's right.
Kenneth Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 05:55 PM   #7
Senior Member
Fred and Bonnie's Avatar
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Pacific Northwest or SoCal
Posts: 3,035
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
Originally Posted by Kenneth Neal View Post
Thanks for the great info. I forwarded your replies to my friend. My friend spoke with a Trek representative and was told that model is CA compliant. Let's hope he's right.
Ken, I don't understand how your friend talked to a "Trek Representative". The company doesn't exist. Hopefully it wasn't a sales person.

Fred and Bonnie
2005 Dolphin LX 6375
Abby, Ruffles & Scarlett, "The Cats"
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 06:27 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus
Scarab0088's Avatar

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Lone Star State
Posts: 19,203
FFVR 29 is for buying a NEW Vehicle and trying to bring it to CA.

Once the car registers over 7,500 miles or is 366 days old, it is no longer new...
...after that, you can buy and bring a 49 state car to CA.

I have done this several times. It will still have to pass a SMOG check - so be sure it has not been modified (like with install of a non-CARB compliant ECM chip, removal of the Catalytic Converter(s) or removal of the fuel filler inlet restrictor).

Here's the steps the DMV will follow for registering a used vehicle:
How To Register A Vehicle from Out-of-State (Nonresident Vehicle)

Best luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
California to Illinois baldtat Navigation, Routes & Roads 15 04-09-2014 07:02 AM
California, Oregon and Washington bound M&MFarms Boondocking 8 03-18-2014 11:50 AM
Pricing In California sundown08 Tiffin Owner's Forum 6 02-22-2014 12:53 AM

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:07 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.