Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-09-2019, 08:48 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
It's Time to renew or change

Its time to renew or change my roadside assistance plan. I've used Good Sam for years and they have treated me well with the exception of their 2 hour response time they give providers. Setting on the side of the interstate with a flat tire for 2 plus hours is not fun. My last provider arrived at exactly 2 hours after my call. He was only 10 minutes away but waited until he had completed mowing his yard before coming. He said they told him he had 2 hours to get to me.

I joined FMCA last year and am considering switching to their RSA. They told me if I didn't have someone at my location within 30 minutes to call them back immediately.

My new to me rig is a 2007 Itasca Meridian. Have had it for almost a year and have gradually been bringing it up to par. Getting ready to hit the road next month for 51st anniversary.

Since many of you have used one of these two or both I am asking for input on which is best. Thanks in advance. Have a great day - Richard
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-09-2019, 10:13 AM   #2

I just had to use the FMCA plan and wasn't super excited by their response. They gave me three numbers of local places to call, none of which could help, and I was stuck on the road for two additional days, luckily at the campsite I limped into. I have yet to call and see if I can get reimbursed on any of the extra fees I was charged or for the extra nights I had to pay for. I have my doubts.
Bogie71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 03:59 PM   #3
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I've been with Good Sam since 2001 but will be switching to FMCA on the next renewal date!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 04:53 PM   #4

CoachNet
Old 04-09-2019, 06:04 PM   #5

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
FYI communications take time and add to that the workload the service provider is under at the time of your breakdown may just be when they are overbooked. This is true of all insurance roadside assistance providers.

The biggest issue is between the insurance company and service provider. If they have a contract in place, no issues other than workload. If they don't, then the insurance company has to negotiate a rate or seek out someone who will accept their rate as payment in full.

I've spoken to service providers who refuse to work with some insurance companies...why? Because the insurance companies are slow to pay and make them jump through hoops. Keep this in mind the next time you are waiting along side of the road and wonder why its taking so long.
USA-RVNomads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 06:21 PM   #6

https://www.google.com/search?q=%22r...earch=irv2.com
Old 04-11-2019, 06:35 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks everyone.

Sorry I haven't been back quicker but threw my back out so haven't been back on.

I appreciate your info - Richard
Old 04-11-2019, 08:38 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
I've been with Good Sam since 2001 but will be switching to FMCA on the next renewal date!
I just did Monday last. For the price difference $69 vs $149, I'll take a chance. The coverage is practically the same.The woman I spoke with was very helpful, polite, and patient, while explaining my questions. The FMCA/Saferide premium raises to $74/yr in 2 years.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 08:47 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
The FMCA/Saferide premium raises to $74/yr in 2 years.
Actually according to my recent email the price goes up in just about 2 weeks on May 1st. I'm assuming thats what you meant.

Like you stated its just $5 more but why pay more next month. I just newly enrolled last week and did it for 3 years. So I saved $15 ........ WOO HOO!!!
AZ RV'r is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 09:36 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
I just did Monday last. For the price difference $69 vs $149, I'll take a chance. The coverage is practically the same.The woman I spoke with was very helpful, polite, and patient, while explaining my questions. The FMCA/Saferide premium raises to $74/yr in 2 years.
It is my understanding that with FMCA, you must also be a member which adds 60 dollars to the 69/74 dollar cost of road service. This brings the cost closer to Good Sam. If your simply comparing cost.

Now if you can use some of the other benefits of FMCA Membership, then it may be a good deal.

Good luck with whatever you choose.
Fyrflie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 09:41 AM   #11

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Just the medical evacuation benefit of FMCA is worth far more than the yearly membership cost.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 09:49 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
With FMCA membership FMCA assist his free. I don't remember what it is with Good Sam. That makes it worth joining. I hope i never use either one.
Old 04-12-2019, 09:58 AM   #13

We have been treated well by Good Sam. In the past 3 years we had to have our DutchStar towed twice (serpentine belt and fan clutch). It requires a wheel lift tow truck or flat bed. We also had to rely on GS for a couple 24v jump starts.

I will never again use AAA because their dispatchers are simply not trained to understand the needs after an rv failure.
EZDZIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 03:20 PM   #14

I have both coach.net and fmca (primarily for the medical assist).
Sandy Swede is offline   Reply With Quote