Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-07-2010, 06:31 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Jack Problem

We were getting ready to go home from a trip. I tried to retract the HWH leveling jacks. Left front jack would only raise about an inch off the ground. I read the manual and it said to turn the solinoid screw until it retracts and then turn screw back to original position. Which I did and jack retracted. After arriving home, I put jacks down and sprayed with WD40 and wiped clean. Then placed some transmission fluid on a rag and cleaned. The jack will now retract but a little slower than before. The right side front jack retracts in about 15 seconds. The problem left front jack retracts in about 45 seconds. Before this problem, both jacks were the same, about 15 seconds. The rear jacks take about 90 seconds. Is this really going to be a problem with left front jack? Or should I just live with it. I have noticed another problem, after setting up and extending the jacks, overnight one of the jacks will come up maybe 1/4 inch off the ground. I don't remember which one I had to re-adjust. What could cause this problem?
Thanks ....................
TXredfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-07-2010, 07:34 PM   #2

First question I would have is do you have the updated springs? The old springs are straight while the newer style have a taper on the ends. This helped mine but I still had problems later. I've had aggrevating issues with both jacks on the left side. Usually the front but sometimes the rear. Most of the problem was related to the "Jacks down" alarm going off while traveling. I would have to stop and pry the jack up 1/4". On other occations it wouldn't retract until I gave it a little help. Recently, I've had the same issue you are having. I have to pry it up all the way. I removed both jacks and sent the to HWH for repair. I wanted to let the local hydraulic shop fix them but they can't get the seal kit and HWH will not sell them. I should get them back this week. I'll let you know how it works out.
RottenRalph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 12:02 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXredfish View Post
We were getting ready to go home from a trip. I tried to retract the HWH leveling jacks. Left front jack would only raise about an inch off the ground. I read the manual and it said to turn the solinoid screw until it retracts and then turn screw back to original position. Which I did and jack retracted. After arriving home, I put jacks down and sprayed with WD40 and wiped clean. Then placed some transmission fluid on a rag and cleaned. The jack will now retract but a little slower than before. The right side front jack retracts in about 15 seconds. The problem left front jack retracts in about 45 seconds. Before this problem, both jacks were the same, about 15 seconds. The rear jacks take about 90 seconds. Is this really going to be a problem with left front jack? Or should I just live with it. I have noticed another problem, after setting up and extending the jacks, overnight one of the jacks will come up maybe 1/4 inch off the ground. I don't remember which one I had to re-adjust. What could cause this problem?
Thanks ....................
the hwh reservoir fluid has to be serviced to full with the jacks and slides fully retracted. if the reservoir is low, air can get in a jack and cause problems like you are experiencing.
extending and retracting the jacks and slides will bleed the air out. don't overheat the electric pump motor by trying to run the system too long without a cooling off period.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L 5sp allison SW Wa,. Good Sam, SKP. RVM 198 AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. Michelins, TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '21MB GLA FWD on dolly
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 11:28 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Hi TXredfish,
You should be okay with the retraction times mentioned in the OP. I spray my jack pistons about once every 3 months. I do not us WD40. I use Solder Seal Penetrating Oil. It is in a spray can at Lowe's. Just spray the pistons, do not wipe them down.

Consider trying this when breaking camp.
1. Start the engine.
2. Store the jacks.
3. While the jacks are storing themselves, do your final walk around.
4. If you return to the cockpit and the warning buzzer is still sounding, the pistons need to be sprayed.

Per an earlier post, check the springs. If they are straight to the end, get new springs.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote