Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-15-2007, 05:32 AM   #1

American Coach Owners Club
What are your thoughts on putting the leveling jacks down some...when parked in the driveway at home....shouldn't this take some weight off the tires and add some insurance against flat spots..cracking..etc.
How about spring fatigue...
Just wondering, since I haven't heard of this procedure for storage..
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-15-2007, 05:32 AM   #2

American Coach Owners Club
What are your thoughts on putting the leveling jacks down some...when parked in the driveway at home....shouldn't this take some weight off the tires and add some insurance against flat spots..cracking..etc.
How about spring fatigue...
Just wondering, since I haven't heard of this procedure for storage..
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 06:04 AM   #3

I will be interested in everyone's opinion on this, as I too have read that it's a good idea to store with the jacks down for the reason dpg4851 states above.
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 06:30 AM   #4
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
I vote for jacks down.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 06:58 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Mine sits with the jacks down. I try to move it at least once a month during the off season for some exercise (and to satisfy my urge to drive the beast).
Old 11-15-2007, 07:01 AM   #6
Moderator in Memoriam

Monaco Owners Club
We didnt store our first Toy hauler with the jacks down and neither did several others in our storage area, a big wind came and flipped a 5th wheel, and shoved several other campers into others. On our unit it fell off the 2 blocks we had the electric tongue jack on, and it turned about a foot and was a inch away from the boat next to it. None of the campers that moved had their jacks down. Let me tell you we do now. After that I read someplace that anytime your rig is parked it should be like your in it all secured.

Have fun
Old 11-15-2007, 08:01 AM   #7

My TT rode 3 hurricanes with the jacks down a few years ago. When I went to the storage lot after each, you could see where the jacks had rubbed the concrete. You could tell it had moved several inches back and forth at each end of the trailer.
I vote for down.

(fka TonyT)
BeenThere DoneThat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 09:39 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Jacks down during storage periods. It's better for the tires and assuming the jacks are working correctly, leaving them extended is what they are made to do. When our rig is parked for extended periods, I operate the jacks every now and then and usually take it for a ride once a month or so.
CoastieSCPO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 03:28 PM   #9

What does HWH say about it. I live overlooking the ocean and I'm concerned about the thin film of rust that forms on everything around here. If that happens and I retract them - there goes my seals and I'm faced with a total rebuild. Happened once with the Hyd. cylinders on my tractor loader. So, I leave them up - wished I could store with the weight off the tires and springs! I know that HWH suggests cycling them every so often, but, I haven't a clue about full time storage. Mine are swing down style, mounted on a 29ft Class C.
Eddielee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 03:54 PM   #10

Forest River Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">What does HWH say about it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
At Winnebago GNR in 2006, the HWH rep said "put the jacks down and leave them. That is what they are designed for." He said nothing at all about "cycling" them at any interval. He also said that the leveling jacks on Winnebago coaches are a "special metal" that will not rust.

When we stored our coach, we always stored it with jacks down, not just "some," but fully leveled just as it would be if we were using it. Now that we are fulltiming, we leave the jacks down for however long we sit in one place.
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 05:16 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Many RVers winter in warm climates. Some for 5 months or more. Jacks are down during this time. If there was a problem, we would have heard about it by now.

If anyone is concerned about corrosion, spray the exposed surfaces with Gunk Brand light libricating oil. It leaves no residue and keep my jacks retracting very quickly.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 04:23 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
I just left factory training at HWH, you DO NOT HAVE TO CYCLE them unless you WANT TO. They said they can be left down and as long as you need to.

As far as corrosion goes there should not be any unless your jacks have scorned (scratches) then you might have other problems.

2 Boys & My Pups
NYMoose "Lenny" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 06:40 AM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by GaryKD:
If anyone is concerned about corrosion, spray the exposed surfaces with Gunk Brand light libricating oil. It leaves no residue and keep my jacks retracting very quickly. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Gary,

Is Gunk lubricating oil ok to use on these? I had always heard that I should only use silicone spray. My old coach had HWH jacks and I loved them. My current coach has Power Gear, and they are not as user friendly. I find that I have to spray the jack pistons with silicone frequently to get them to fully retract. I seldom had to do that with the HWH's. If the Gunk spray works better than silicone and is ok to use, I'll definitely give it a try.

My wife does all the driving - I just hold the wheel...
Gadget Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 03:52 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
My calls to HWH have resulted in their answer saying no spraying is needed and they make no recommendations. I've been using this spray, exclusively on this coach since it was new. Without it the jacks take up to 5 minutes to retract. With it, the jacks retract in less than a minute. So far so good.

I apply the spray 3 times a year.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote