Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-13-2016, 09:12 PM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
To add to my input a few post back...
My brake is on 99% of the time and the cruise control MOST of the time...
I control the brakes 100% downshift by using the cruise control as my throttle pedal

If I want to slow just a bit without hitting brakes and engaging exhaust brake, I just tap the cruise control speed adjustment a few times, it slows down without dropping the tranny, etc...

works fine for me and that emergency stop is ready at any moment.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-13-2016, 09:30 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by B Dubya View Post
I suppose I could search this forum's database, but I'm sooooo tired of searching for MHs.....I admit I'm feeling lazy (and tired).

OK. You drive up a 6% grade with a 5k lb trailer behind you. You get to the top and it's a 5 mile 6% grade going down. Do you down shift the tranny? Do you get to the speed you want and activate the engine brake? Do you tell the Misses it's her turn to drive? What exactly do you do? An inquiring mind wants to know!!!
We just came across the Big Horns today on US-16 to Buffalo, WY. 6, ,7, & 8% grades. Our coach is programmed to downshift to 3rd gear when the Jake Brake is engaged. I downshifted the transmission to 4th and engaged the Jake Brake as needed. Never touched the brakes until the traffic light in Buffalo.
We have an 04 Monaco Signature with a 14 liter Detroit.
OB-One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 10:47 PM   #17

My truck and trailer stomped the scales at 19,000 lbs. The f250 turbo diesel works with the cruse control and jake brake together. I set the cruse at 50, hit the jake button, and down the hill we went. never over 50, and I did not have to step on the brake. I was super impressed at how that system worked.
Old 03-13-2016, 10:59 PM   #18

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
Mr_D
Do you have an exhust brake?
Or a compression release engine brake?
(I thought only compression release engine brakes had variable settings).
Mel
'96 Safari, with an exhaust brake, (by Pacbrake)
Missed my sig didn't you? ISX's don't come with an exhaust brake at all. Ours has the three stage control, but in Class 8 trucks they often use a 6 stage control.
600hp of braking force DOES slow you down!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 06:26 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Missed my sig didn't you? ISX's don't come with an exhaust brake at all. Ours has the three stage control, but in Class 8 trucks they often use a 6 stage control.
600hp of braking force DOES slow you down!
Mr_D
I did see your signature... but I had no idea that the Cummins ISX engines don't come with an exhaust brake at all.
Thanks for the education.
Mel
'96 Safari, 250hp 3126 Cat
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 07:14 AM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
When travelling in the flats - I usually leave the engine brake off. I almost always have the cruise control on ... but often use the "cancel", "set" and "resume" buttons to adjust our speed to maintain an appropriate gap between us and whoever is in front of us. When I hit the cruise control "cancel" button - I simply want to coast a bit, NOT have the engine brake engage to slow me down. Only when I need to actually slow down do I engage the engine brake. Going downhill is another matter - I tend to engage the engine brake as soon as I start down a hill where "speed buildup" is going to be an issue.
Old 03-14-2016, 07:32 AM   #21

I leave my engine brake on all the time. It's there for an emergency when I need it. If I want to coast, just leaving your foot resting on the accelerator is enough to keep it from engaging.
FRR2EYW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 08:57 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRR2EYW View Post
I leave my engine brake on all the time. It's there for an emergency when I need it. If I want to coast, just leaving your foot resting on the accelerator is enough to keep it from engaging.
FRR2EYW
Is your "engine brake" an "exhust brake"... (like a Pacbrake)?
OR a "compression release engine brake"... (aka: Jake Brake)?

Wondering.

Mel
'96 Safari
Old 03-14-2016, 09:07 AM   #23

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wire Wrat View Post
My truck and trailer stomped the scales at 19,000 lbs. The f250 turbo diesel works with the cruse control and jake brake together. I set the cruse at 50, hit the jake button, and down the hill we went. never over 50, and I did not have to step on the brake. I was super impressed at how that system worked.
Does your button have the word "Jake" labelled on it? - in the 2016 Ford diesel?

Brian
Towr: 2007 Country Coach Allure 470 - 37 Sunset Bay Cummins 400 ISL, Coach #31563
Toad: 2016 F150 King Ranch - 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 Supercrew (curb weight 4,775 lbs)
Toad: SOLD 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee (yes, it has a Hemi) (curb weight 4,720 lbs)
BrianGlenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 09:26 AM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
That is confusing to most especially when mine says "Engine Brake"!

is it a jake,
a compression,
an engine,
an exhaust,
an artichoke ?!?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Engine brake.JPG
Views:	93
Size:	45.6 KB
ID:	121410  
Old 03-14-2016, 09:28 AM   #25

Mel, it is a variable geometry turbo.
FRR2EYW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 11:58 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRR2EYW View Post
Mel, it is a variable geometry turbo.
FRR2EYW
If you aren't satisfied with the braking performance of your variable geometry turbo you can add PacBrake’s LoadLeash engine brake which will increase your braking power.
See:Better Braking with a REAL Engine Brake for 6.7L Cummins |
Mel
'96 Safari
Old 03-14-2016, 06:44 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
Mr_D
I did see your signature... but I had no idea that the Cummins ISX engines don't come with an exhaust brake at all.
Thanks for the education.
Mel
'96 Safari, 250hp 3126 Cat

The ISX does not come with an exhaust brake because it has a 3-stage Jake Brake. A true Jake (a "compression" brake) is much more powerful than any exhaust brake.
Rich-n-Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 07:55 AM   #28

reply to Brian Glenn

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianGlenn View Post
Does your button have the word "Jake" labelled on it? - in the 2016 Ford diesel?

Brian
it just has a picture of a "puff of air" The sales man used the term engine break. I did not know the difference between the two mentioned in the above posts. I guess Ford uses the transmission, and the "engine break" together. All I know, is that for the five mile decent, it did its job. other vehicles were passing me with break lights on and one 18 wheeler was smoking quite profusely. I do not know if the computer used the engine/transmission/breaks together to keep the unit at 50 mph, but it all worked and I did not have to use the break pedal. All of this new fangled computer magic is way beyond me

Tags
brake, engine