Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-13-2013, 07:20 PM   #1

Lots of posts about folks worrying about chips on their toads, and protect a tow and full width mud flaps (et al). Is it just "bling"?

Here it is. 23k miles on the odometer, another 15k as a toad. 2 chips from off-road. From being a toad, none. About 12 ft from rear hub to bumper. Just standard mud flaps.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2128981865.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	681.1 KB
ID:	38839

Just wondering......

Dave
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-13-2013, 07:27 PM   #2

I agree Dave. We've not had much damage at all on four toads.
Old 05-13-2013, 07:40 PM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Mud flaps are necessary on RVs and big trucks as their wheel wells are not designed like a car, rides higher off the ground, and the tire tread is wider in which gravel tends to stick in. Vehicles that tend to travel off paved surfaces are more prone to throw debris and rocks in the air. NOW they may change the air flow regarding dust and rain. I myself try to stay on paved roads and off the road during rains. No eye candy on my coach.
They look pretty with chrome BUT many times the full flaps and brooms throw up gravel because they drag on the roadway when the vehicle bounces and crosses over low areas.
Doggy Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 09:50 PM   #4
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
A lot has to do with the coach, distance from rear axle to bumper, coach height, hitch length, height of toad and so on. I have a DP with a rear mud flap and I don't have issues. I do use a bra on the toad, just in case, but nothing when I have left it off. I often find small gravel pieces around the windshield.

Also remember that on rear radiator DP's, they are like huge vacumn cleaners, sucking up road debris and blowing out the back. What doesn't get sucked all the way up bounces out the back under the coach.

I think the most important protection are the mud flaps directly behind the duals. They need to be tight against the duals and just clear the ground.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 09:59 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Dave - I'm rushing out to take my Boulder logo'd tail dragger off first thing in the morning. Oh wait. That sounds like work and I have a day job anyway. Looks like it stays for now.
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 05:21 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doggy Daddy View Post
BUT many times the full flaps and brooms throw up gravel because they drag on the roadway when the vehicle bounces and crosses over low areas.
I have noticed the same thing when a MH passes me. At times, the rear flap will actually touch the roadway in a dip, and when raining or dusty there is a visible vortex-like wind at the bottom of the flap that twirls upward.
Old 05-14-2013, 10:49 PM   #7

The need for the rear mud flap depends greatly on how high the rear of the coach is, and how much overhang there is after the dual wheels.
It is absolutely necessary to have mud flaps behind the dually tires that are wide enough, and low enough to do the job. You do not want them to be any closer than 4" to the ground, and they should be within 7" of the ground. Make sure you measure for length while the air bags are down to make sure you do not hit the ground when you let the air out. Then also measure with it in drive height to make them as long as possible, but again, avoiding the ground. Many motorhomes are out there with mud flaps that are too short or without any mud flap at all. It is often very difficult to get inside the fender well to install these mud flaps. If you are installing them by drilling into a compartment, just make sure you seal the hole so no water gets in. If you catch us at a rally or gathering, we are able to install these for you.
For the most part the rear mud flap simply adds a little bit more protection. It does need to be kept at least 4" off the ground to keep it from hitting the ground and throwing gravel at your tow vehicle.
I do hear from customers about how the rear mud flap did stop large flying objects from reaching their tow vehicle. Of course it was going at such speed that it tee boned the mud flap, but that is far less expensive than the front end of their toad.
It is not too late to order a mud flap to be brought to Gillette in June for a free installation. The free install is only for those who order ahead of time.
Find more information at www.duraflap.com
DuraFlap Mud Flaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 05:12 AM   #8

Thanks for all of the responses!

According to DuraFlap, "For the most part the rear mud flap simply adds a little bit more protection."

I now have confidence that the standard flaps behind my dualies are doing a great job and that a full-width rear flap is not required on my rig.

Dave