Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-05-2020, 10:05 AM   #1

Keep Blowing 15 amp fuse for light!!! Help!!

Hello,
I am new to this whole rv things so bear with me lol

Everything in my rv was working perfectly fine. I replaced the ceiling lights to led and everything was good. I went to sleep and woke up the next morning and all of a sudden now I keep blowing a 15amp fuse for the front half of the lights. The rears by the bedroom work fine but the front lights by the kitchen keep blowing. I removed all the lights that are not working on the fuse and it still blows the fuses. I’m can’t wrap my head around why they worked the night before and I didn’t even move the rv and now all of a sudden this fuse keeps blowing. Any ideas?
Michael85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-05-2020, 10:18 AM   #2

Welcome to iRV2

Sorry your first post is about problems .

I have to ask if you're sure the fuse is dedicated to lighting only .
Are all the lights in question switched at the fixture , or is there a wall switch involved?
Install a 12 volt test light across the terminals in place of the fuse , and then wiggle the wiring for each fixture around to see if the light will go out .

I would suspect that while working with the light fixtures , you moved the wires around and started a cut in the wire insulation that slowly allowed power to be grounded out to the RV's frame causing your short.

If you could add info about your RV to your post maybe other members with similar units can provide more help.
Old 05-05-2020, 10:18 AM   #3

Did you replace the fixtures or just the "bulbs" with LEDs?

When you say you removed all the lights, did you remove the fixtures or just the LED's themselves?
BCam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 02:33 PM   #4

Hi guys sorry I should have included it before but I have a 34ft four winds xl motorhome.

Skip246- from what I have seen while investigating it looks to be only the lighting on the passenger side of the motorhome. They are powered together so there is no switch on the wall for them. I will try to test light and see if I find anything! Thank you!

Bcam- I replaced the entire fixture with new LED fixtures. When I removed the lights I took the entire fixture off the wall and disconnected the positive and negatives. I made sure none of the +/- were touching and still blows every fuse.

My next question would be let’s say there is a short somewhere l and it’s causing this random issue. How does someone fix that without pulling the entire ceiling off lol
Old 05-06-2020, 03:55 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
I would take the fixture that you replaced back off the wall and double check the connections. You may want to take the wires loose from the fixture and separate them and then replace the fuse. If it doesn't blow then the problem is either a short in the fixture or a wiring problem there at the fixture.
dabrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 05:15 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael85 View Post
Hello,
I am new to this whole rv things so bear with me lol

Everything in my rv was working perfectly fine. I replaced the ceiling lights to led and everything was good. I went to sleep and woke up the next morning and all of a sudden now I keep blowing a 15amp fuse for the front half of the lights. The rears by the bedroom work fine but the front lights by the kitchen keep blowing. I removed all the lights that are not working on the fuse and it still blows the fuses. I’m can’t wrap my head around why they worked the night before and I didn’t even move the rv and now all of a sudden this fuse keeps blowing. Any ideas?
I've been doing this RV thing for years and before that it was boats. I do most if not all my own maintenance and 'projects'.

When something doesn't work all of a sudden, I usually go back and un-do the stuff I did. I've learned.

Many times my issues are 'self inflicted'.

That being said, it's also possible the new fixtures are shorting out inside itself.
windsorbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 09:37 PM   #7

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Look for broken plastic on any sockets where bulbs plug in. If old, round auto bulb base, remove bulb and look closely inside each socket. The plastic that holds the two wires apart may have broken, allowing wires to touch together?
Old 05-07-2020, 03:04 AM   #8

Quote:
Hi guys sorry I should have included it before but I have a 34ft four winds xl motorhome.

Skip246- from what I have seen while investigating it looks to be only the lighting on the passenger side of the motorhome. They are powered together so there is no switch on the wall for them. I will try to test light and see if I find anything! Thank you!

Bcam- I replaced the entire fixture with new LED fixtures. When I removed the lights I took the entire fixture off the wall and disconnected the positive and negatives. I made sure none of the +/- were touching and still blows every fuse.

My next question would be let’s say there is a short somewhere l and it’s causing this random issue. How does someone fix that without pulling the entire ceiling off lol
Any of these lights in a slide? There is a J-box under the RV that provides a change over from Romex wiring to rubber cord for flexibility. Start there.
Old 05-07-2020, 07:58 AM   #9

I thought about this as well but they worked perfectly fine for 5-6 hours the night before after installation. I went to bed that night and woke up and they just started blowing fuses. Very random and I can’t wrap my head around that lol
Old 05-07-2020, 07:58 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
Any of these lights in a slide? There is a J-box under the RV that provides a change over from Romex wiring to rubber cord for flexibility. Start there.

No side these light fixtures are all on the ceiling
Old 05-07-2020, 08:43 AM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I would suspect one of the new fixtures has gone bad after the initial five or so hours of operating well as stated. Is it possible to disconnect fixtures individually then operate the lights remaining to see if problem still exists?
Old 05-07-2020, 09:01 AM   #12

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:

At our shop, we would start at the last fixture, remove both wires, replace the fuse, if it blows, rewire. Move to the next fixture, remove both wires, replace the fuse, if it blows, go to the next one, etc. When you get to the bad one the fuse will not blow.
Old 05-07-2020, 09:12 AM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Did you use screws to attach the new fixtures? I accidentally screwed in to my wiring and blew a fuse! You created a short somewhere. Keep looking.
AlanTerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 11:19 PM   #14

Quote:
No side these light fixtures are all on the ceiling
I said SLIDE. Not SIDE. Room with walls and ceiling that move to make the RV bigger. The lights would be in the ceiling of the SLIDE

there is a j-box under this moving room.

Tags
fuse, light