Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-12-2017, 05:53 PM   #1

Keeping Coach cool while traveling

One more question for our 99 Newmar Mountain Aire. While traveling how do you get the A/C to work in the Coach to keep it cool inside and in the Bedroom? I know the Dash Air keeps the Drivers compartment cool, but what if you have more passengers riding in the back, how do you keep them cool.
Thanks
johnridders is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-12-2017, 05:56 PM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Run the generator and AC. I get everything running before I back out from our covered storage. Mid 90s here and coach stays nice and cool the entire trip and is cool when we setup camp.
TripleGGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 05:57 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
Keeping Coach cool while traveling

Run the generator and house/coach AC.
Old 07-12-2017, 06:15 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Obliviously Run the Generator and all the AC's. In the event you can't do that get a couple of number 2 wash Tubs fill them with ice and run a battery operated fan over the top. Good place to put a couple of 6 packs also.
Old 07-12-2017, 06:59 PM   #5

If it's not extremely hot out, and you start early, opening the rearmost roof vent and setting the dash a/c to coldest (but NOT recirculate) and point the vents straight down the middle of the coach.

The fan is the weak part of a dash a/c system, opening the vent creates a vacuum at the back and draws the cool air back there for you.
Old 07-12-2017, 09:37 PM   #6

Well thank you all for the replies!
Being new to this I was afraid that I would have to run the Generator together cooling to the rest of the coach but had hoped that I had missed some trick! At the end of August we're doing 1800 miles in 2 days to get to our eldest daughter in Canada and running the Generator that long while driving is not a good option. You'd think that something that costs as much as these Coaches do they'd have a better system, maybe routing some dash air to the rear like Sleepers on big trucks do. SMDH
johnridders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 09:45 PM   #7

If it's hot we run the generator regardless of the distance. I've had the generator running for trips over three thousand miles, we like to stay comfortable.
soonerdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 09:50 PM   #8

These diesel gen sets are designed to run thousands of hrs and use surprisingly little fuel, it actually benefits them to run them, change oil, air and fuel filters, check coolant and good to go!!
baileysden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 10:00 PM   #9

Thor Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Lack of use is harder on a generator than being used. Just do maintenance and enjoy.
TripleGGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 05:30 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnridders View Post
Being new to this I was afraid that I would have to run the Generator together cooling to the rest of the coach but had hoped that I had missed some trick! At the end of August we're doing 1800 miles in 2 days to get to our eldest daughter in Canada and running the Generator that long while driving is not a good option. You'd think that something that costs as much as these Coaches do they'd have a better system, maybe routing some dash air to the rear like Sleepers on big trucks do. SMDH
The "better" system is already installed. Your diesel generator and roof A/C's! Use them.
mpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 05:45 AM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
The generator running the roof airs will not only keep you cooler, but, at least on my coach, uses less fuel than the dash air.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 06:00 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
Like all the others have said. Run the generator it likes to be ran. It sips fuel and will provide all the power and cooling you need going down the road. No need to make it more complicated.
Old 07-13-2017, 01:40 PM   #13

Yep....just run the generator and air conditioner. That is what they are designed for. It won't hurt a thing, and you will be comfortable.
Old 07-13-2017, 01:46 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnridders View Post
"Being new to this" as you say....1800 miles, in 2 days....in a motorhome....is rather 'optimistic', to say the least.

Tags
travel