Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-19-2010, 08:53 PM   #1

King Dome Problem Finding Signal

I use a DirecTV Plus receiver in my motorhome. I have a Kingdome to find the satellite. When I move from one location to another there is no power for the receiver so it needs to reboot when power is available. Apparently it needs to detect a signal to reboot. Also, apparently the Kingdome needs to detect a working receiver in order to find the right satellite. Sometimes it will lock on to a satellite right away and the receiver reboots OK. But other times I have left it on as long as a half hour and it never locks on to a satellite and the receiver never completes a reboot.
When this happens I have an old receiver that I hook up and although I have no subscription for this receiver a signal is located within minutes and I can then hook up my Plus receiver and it reboots normally. While this works it's a PITA and a mystery why I need to do this now and then. I have talked to DirecTV about this but they don't seem to even know what I'm talking about. I'm not the only one with this problem as I know of two other people with the same problem. Hopefully someone here can offer some help,

Don in Tracy, Calif.
bounderdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-20-2010, 02:29 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Don, welcome to iRV2.com. We are glad to have you join us here and we look forward to reading of your adventures and experiences. I am sure you will enjoy the website and forums. Be sure to click on the "User CP" button and edit a signature; stating the year make & model of your coach. Also when dealing with any system that has a model number; that info will help our members, help you better.
I think you need to contact Support Center as they can be very helpful. I think it may be the compatibility between the receiver and the satellite system. Good luck and keep us posted.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 06:13 AM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I contacted Directv service center with the same recurring problem. Was told to push the reset button on the receiver. I dont know what it does but it worked.
az bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 07:35 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I've had the same problem using Direct, really didn't start having problems until they turned it off once for non-use?
Well anyway I've used the reset and it really never helped, just kept going through the motions.
My next time out I'm going to fire it up and contact Direct right of way and hopefully nail it on the spot.

Regards,
RovinOn
05 Southwind 37C
RovinOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 08:53 AM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
On my King Dome & DIRECTV Series II TiVo enabled DVR setup, I've found that the power up sequence has an effect. Part of our "arrival" process is that I turn on the DVR, go out and plug in to the pedestal (or start generator or turn on inverter as circumstances dictate), do other stuff like water, then hit the “search” (3 seconds) switch on the King Dome single-button controller. By this time the DVR is up and displaying the message about acquiring satellite signal with the parenthesis between which the colored dots appear. If for some reason it takes too long for me to get in and start the King Dome search the DVR will complain that the satellite signal was not found. It offers options, one of which is to try again and that is the one I choose.

I have had situations where the King Dome searches and searches and cannot seem to lock on to a satellite. Assuming the DVR is up and looking for a satellite signal, I just turn off the King Dome and restart the search. Pressing the search button for one second after the King Dome has already locked on to a satellite is supposed to send it on to the next satellite. That has occasionally worked for me but often it starts locking on to satellites that are not supplying my DIRECTV service. It takes a long time to sift through all of the available satellites in this way. So what I do is power down the King Dome and start a new search (3 second button push). This has always resulted in a successful lock on a DIRECTV satellite.

On rare occasion the TV itself has lost its way and had to be rebooted. My configuration uses the original dinosaur TV and I was stumped about how to remove power (as in unplug) without affecting anything else. Then I remembered reading here on iRV2 about the no-TV-while-driving-relay. I turned on the ignition for a few seconds then off and the TV came right up.

All in all, we’re very happy with this arrangement. We just unplug the DVR in DW’s den and carry it out to the Dipper and plug it in there. We got a digital-to-analog converter to put between the antenna and routing box so now we can have any combination of DIRECTV, off-air antenna, or DVD/VHS TV on the front and/or bedroom TV’s. We don’t bother with the RV park’s cable, though we could if necessary for some reason.

FWIW
Dave & Cathy, 2002 Country Coach Affinity, 42', #6103, CAT C12, Sold - Retired From RV'ing, Linux Mint
CoCoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 05:24 PM   #6

King Dome Problem Finding Signal

Well it looks like there are others having the same problem as I do. I have tried all of the suggestions received so far (thanks) which doesn't always work. I then get out my old receiver, connect it in place of the DVR receiver and soon have a signal and TV picture. Guess I will just continue this way as it's a lot less frustrating.

Don in Tracy, Calif.
Old 02-21-2010, 05:33 PM   #7

Just leave the old receiver in there and use an A/B switch for the input connection. Use the old receiver to search and then hit the A/B switch and you will be connected to your DVR.
Bill Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 02:45 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Adams View Post
Just leave the old receiver in there and use an A/B switch for the input connection. Use the old receiver to search and then hit the A/B switch and you will be connected to your DVR.
Bill Adam's suggestion of just hooking up the old receiver with an AB switch sounds good. I think this is what I am going to do. Thanks again to everyone responding to my problem. Looks like I'm not alone with this problem.

Don in rainy Tracy, Calif.