Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-13-2015, 10:40 AM   #1

Kwikee Step closing erratically

(Posted this earlier in the Class C forum and decided it might get more response/answers in the general RV forum..?)
Just installed a new electric motor on my Series 26 single-step Kwikee step (2009 Fleetwood Icon) after reading "Bob's guides to electrical steps". The guide stated that the plastic gears in the motor get stripped which can cause the step motor to act erratic.

The original motor was acting erratic when opening and closing (step would jump "in & out" a few times before settling into it's proper position) This happened when I opened or closed the step...

Installed the new motor (Ford, Taurus electric window motor) and it worked fine for exactly a week. Now it opens fine, but when I retract it to the closed position, it continues to jump "in & out" before it settles into the closed position.

Can't find anything on the Kwikee website about adjustments and all the moving points are lubricated properly.

Anyone else experience this problem..? Any help much appreciated..!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-13-2015, 12:05 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave6152 View Post
(Posted this earlier in the Class C forum and decided it might get more response/answers in the general RV forum..?)
Just installed a new electric motor on my Series 26 single-step Kwikee step (2009 Fleetwood Icon) after reading "Bob's guides to electrical steps". The guide stated that the plastic gears in the motor get stripped which can cause the step motor to act erratic.
The original motor was acting erratic when opening and closing (step would jump "in & out" a few times before settling into it's proper position) This happened when I opened or closed the step...
Installed the new motor (Ford, Taurus electric window motor) and it worked fine for exactly a week. Now it opens fine, but when I retract it to the closed position, it continues to jump "in & out" before it settles into the closed position.
Can't find anything on the Kwikee website about adjustments and all the moving points are lubricated properly.
Anyone else experience this problem..? Any help much appreciated..!
dave6152
Me thinks Bob is correct.
Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 12:28 PM   #3
YC1

If it wasn't an exact match up and you didn't use all of the mounting holes it could be jumping. I just went through this issue. Replacing the motor with the steps still mounted led me to take a few short cuts. Taking the steps off allowed me to really get at it and install it much tighter. I did have to drill my own holes except for one.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 01:48 PM   #4

The Ford P/W motors are notorious for the gears stripping; or more accurately the torque pins break. The motor is usually fine, and it will spin or skip because the torque pins are what is broken, not the electric motor. Follow this for a $0.25 fix.
1) Remove motor assy.
2) Take your old motor assy and remove the cover over the center gear (should be 3 small fasteners)
3) The center gear will lift out from the larger motor driven gear, notice that the center gear is kind of triangular shape on the side that interfaces with the motor driven gear. Between the two gears are three pins that transfer the torque from the motor driven gear to the center gear.
4) These torque pins are what break. Instead of replacing them with the same nylon round pieces, use six 1/4 inch nuts. Six of the 1/4 inch nuts is about $0.25 at hardware store.
5) Clean out the gear housing of old grease and broken pin pieces.
6) Dry fit the six 1/4 inch nuts, you stack two nuts at each of the three locations. It is kind of tight fit, but dry fit will let you verify the assy.
7) Now put clean grease, and the six nuts, and place the center gear in place.
8) Reinstall cover.

Now your motor will work and not skip. BTW, this repair will work for your car or truck windows that have the same problem.
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 10:29 AM   #5

"Torque pins stripping"

Not sure what you mean by "torque pins", but I'll take a picture of the gear housing when I remove this motor to install the new Dorman motor # 742-240

The actual motors bolt up just fine as they are an identical match (relative to installation), it's just that the inner gear train is garbage, plastic...

Hoping the Dorman motor has better gears, but if not, I'm sure the warranty will be better.

Thanks again for the input/help..!
Old 07-16-2015, 04:50 PM   #6

Once you take that cover off the gear, then remove the gear, you will see where the torque pins are located, or more likely where the broken pieces of plastic pins are.
Old 07-16-2015, 06:50 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 38Chevy454 View Post
Once you take that cover off the gear, then remove the gear, you will see where the torque pins are located, or more likely where the broken pieces of plastic pins are.
38Chevy454
There are no plastic parts, (pins or gears), in my 19 year old Kwikee steps.
Mel
'96 Safari
Old 07-17-2015, 11:52 AM   #8

Here is a post with pictures. If your motor looks like this one, the parts that break are inside. If not the same, then ignore it. Skip the part where removing formt he truck, and look at the motor disassembly and fix. This style Ford P/W motor was used in many models for many years.

Power Window Motor Repair - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums
Old 07-19-2015, 07:53 PM   #9

Kwikee step motor help...

WOW..! thanks to ALL the posters here (I've been camping in Jeddiah Smith campground and out of WIFI)...

Yeah, I see the "cogs" or pins can be replaced with stainless nuts... cool! (that looks like the inside of the motor I ordered that worked for a week)

As soon as I get my Kwikee motor I will check the internal parts (RV guy said the insides are all metal)... we shall see..

Will update around Tuesday...

Muchas Gracias to IRV2.COM !!!!
Old 07-30-2015, 11:02 AM   #10

Kwikee step motor versus Ford Taurus window motor

Took Kwikee (or whoever owns Kwikee now) over a week to deliver the motor...

RV place "guaranteed" the guts are all steel parts (no plastic)

The actual outer gear is almost twice as big as the Taurus motor gear...

Before I install it, I will open it up and verify the "steel guts" and take some more pics...

Here are a couple of the actual gears side by side (front motor is Kwikee motor)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0239.jpg
Views:	787
Size:	380.9 KB
ID:	101593   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0238.jpg
Views:	338
Size:	313.4 KB
ID:	101594  

Old 07-30-2015, 11:04 AM   #11

Kwikee motor was $134.62 (includes shipping)
Old 07-30-2015, 12:13 PM   #12

Quote:
Took Kwikee (or whoever owns Kwikee now) over a week to deliver the motor...
RV place "guaranteed" the guts are all steel parts (no plastic)
The actual outer gear is almost twice as big as the Taurus motor gear...
Before I install it, I will open it up and verify the "steel guts" and take some more pics...

Here are a couple of the actual gears side by side (front motor is Kwikee motor)
Quote:
Kwikee motor was $134.62 (includes shipping)
dave6152
That is the exact same motor as a rebuilt $39.99 Cardone Ford power window motor, (p/n 42-309), at AutoZone...and a new ACI, (p/n 83094), $53.99...also at AutoZone.
BTW, my local AutoZone store has both "in stock".
Mel
96 Safari, (2 step Kwikee)
Old 08-04-2015, 09:18 AM   #13

"Exact SAME motor...?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
dave6152
That is the exact same motor as a rebuilt $39.99 Cardone Ford power window motor, (p/n 42-309), at AutoZone...and a new ACI, (p/n 83094), $53.99...also at AutoZone.
BTW, my local AutoZone store has both "in stock".
Mel
96 Safari, (2 step Kwikee)
Except the "innards" aren't steel/metal...

Step works great now and I'm a happy camper... not sure why the top motor with
plastic "innards" only lasted a week, but the next time it acts up I'll update the
"innards" to metal parts and update this post!

Thanks again to all who offered help..!
Old 08-04-2015, 10:29 AM   #14

Kwikee steps

Dave6152,
I have a 2006 National Dolphin Ford V-10 and my steps are very erratic. They seem to only work when I get down and tap the motor with a mallet, and that is only some of the time. I suspect that my issue is the motor as I have checked all of the connections, cleaned them, and lubed everything very good. My issue now is that I cannot get the 3 bolts that hold the housing loose to remove the motor. They seem to just turn and turn, and will not drop down to remove the assembly. Do you have any suggestions?
Thanks
dlduck is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kwikee