Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-06-2020, 11:40 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Kwikee step gear replacement

I have to replace the flat Half Moon Gear that raises and lowers that steps. There were several broken teeth on the gear has anyone else had this problem ?
My question is where should the gear be position so the steps will go all the way in for all the way out. I replaced the gear today and the steps are not going all the way in by about 4" ???
scooterbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-06-2020, 12:55 PM   #2

Make sure that they are well lubricated. Sticking is the biggest cause for the gears to strip. Disconnect the stairs from the motor and see if they go in by hand. Mine did not and the small gear on the motor stripped.
Old 04-06-2020, 08:03 PM   #3

I believe the motor turns until the controller senses a rise in amperage. This happens when the steps are either all the way in or all the way out. As per the post above, you should ensure that the steps are free to move easily and there's no high friction point. This would cause an amperage rise and the motor would 'think' it's done and would stop.
It's surprising that your large gear would break or lose teeth. The gear drive in the motor is usually the weak link per all the threads in this forum.
Old 04-07-2020, 10:00 AM   #4

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Inspect to see if hitting a stop, or is something bent? Mine sticking out 4" is normal
Old 04-07-2020, 10:13 AM   #5

I saw a thread about this which included a video made by a clever person. Don't recall where it was but searching might find it. It was fairly recent.

One thing I recall was the caution to let the steps fully extend and lock into place before stepping on it so the lock carried the load and not the plastic gear.
Old 04-07-2020, 03:05 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
I did a search but could not locate the thread you were talkin about. the gears in mine or are not plastic they are metal.
Old 04-07-2020, 03:25 PM   #7

Ben there done that. Grit, grime, dust, of minor amounts will cause these steps to stop working or not work properly. Get you several cans of brake cleaner and clean the tracks, then clean them some more. You can lube them if you like,personally I don’t - I found that causes them to just attract more grit and grime.
There is a fairly new post where they built a cover to protect the steps from road spray and other. Good luck!
mlwhitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 05:40 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldCat25 View Post
I saw a thread about this which included a video made by a clever person. Don't recall where it was but searching might find it. It was fairly recent.

One thing I recall was the caution to let the steps fully extend and lock into place before stepping on it so the lock carried the load and not the plastic gear.
May not apply to your situation but I found the thread.

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f107/ent...ng-482546.html
Old 04-07-2020, 06:33 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Thanks for the info I did check that video but my steps are a different type I think it's a series 25 and it has a half moon gear that the teeth are stripped off on I replace the gear but I don't think I have it the right adjustment because the step doesn't go in by about 4 in.
Old 04-08-2020, 08:23 AM   #10

That is the same one I have. The teeth on my large gear were a bit messed up but the pinion on the motor was the culprit and I was able to replace just that for about $9.00. I cleaned up the teeth on the large gear with a file and lubed all pivot points on the steps. Works perfectly. Have you dropped the assembly with the motor and the gear?
Old 04-08-2020, 11:12 AM   #11

I am quite sure that you don't have to index the motor and the gear that you replaced, based on a repair I did to my system last summer. The motor simply runs in the desired direction when 'instructed' to do so by the logic. It runs until the step hits the stop and it quits when a high amperage is detected. There are two adjustable stops, but I don't think the range of adjustment will replace how far your steps are out when they stop. Here's a link to where I got my manual:

https://support.lci1.com/kwikee-steps

If this didn't form a hyperlink, just copy-paste it into your browser. And, please take careful note of the safety instructions. That thing will bite you hard and fast if you're not careful. Best of luck with your repairs.

Tags
ace, kwikee, replace, replacement