Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-26-2010, 05:39 PM   #1

Kwikee step not working

The automatic retracting Kwikee step on my coach has stopped working. The motor is OK. Looks like there is no power to the unit. Anyone know if there is a dedicated fuse for it? I can't find one. Any other ideas?
Thanks for your help.
Dave Weber?
dwebcbceo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-26-2010, 05:43 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
I'd suggest you tell us the model and year of the coach so that someone with the same might be able to tell you about the fuse and location. There has to be a fuse in there somewhere - can you trace the wires back to a power source?
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 05:46 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Dave,
Check the magnetic door switch on the screen door. Acutally, the switch is on the door jam and not the door, the magnet is on the screen door. This is a normally open switch so jumping across it will determine if it's working.
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 06:31 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJay View Post
Dave,
Check the magnetic door switch on the screen door. Acutally, the switch is on the door jam and not the door, the magnet is on the screen door. This is a normally open switch so jumping across it will determine if it's working.

Also suggest that you tap on the magnetic switch(at hinge side of door frame)with a metal object. Have had the switch hang-up,and a tap freed it up.
heavyequipt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 09:43 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
How do You know that the Motor is OK?

Check the Grounds, as well inspect the Wire bundle that attaches the Control Unit to the Motor,
The flexing and pulling on the wiring often results in a break!
Old 07-27-2010, 04:33 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ciderdog View Post
I'd suggest you tell us the model and year of the coach so that someone with the same might be able to tell you about the fuse and location. There has to be a fuse in there somewhere - can you trace the wires back to a power source?
You are right that I left out important info. My coach is a 2008 Alpine Limited SE 40 ft with triple slides. Thanks.
Dave
Old 07-28-2010, 09:22 AM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Clean all of the connections, check all of the wires for breaks, check the fuse. I did all of this and then had the "brain" replaced.
Vegasdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 06:44 AM   #8
Community Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwebcbceo View Post
The automatic retracting Kwikee step on my coach has stopped working. The motor is OK. Looks like there is no power to the unit. Anyone know if there is a dedicated fuse for it? I can't find one. Any other ideas?
Thanks for your help.
Dave Weber?
Twice when mine didn't retract, I went under the steps a jiggled every connection I could see and checked the green ground for proper connection ( very important). Anyway when I got up and retried the door , the steps came in like new.

ps

Mine has a fuse for the step switch ( 3 amp ) and one for the motor( 20 amp ). They are located in my battery control center.But mine is a Fleetwood, maybe someone on the Alpine forum can help you.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 07:26 AM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
My steps don't usually work either. When I brought my coach to the dealer, they worked perfectly; of course. Now, i have my 14 year old son slide under the coach and give the motor a couple of whacks with a hammer like when your car starter is beginning to fail. Presto! The stairs are out. Don't know if will help you or not but, it works for us.
Old 07-30-2010, 08:03 PM   #10

Quote:
Thanks for your help.
Dave Weber?
I'll give all of a follow up on the Kwikee retractable step that didn't work. First let me thank all who took the time to make suggestions as I appreciated the ideas. I tried them all and didn't find a solution. I then took it to a local RV repair shop (we were traveling) and he found that the control module was bad. So $145 later it's fixed.

Dave Weber
2008 Alpine Coach MDTS 40 ft
Old 07-30-2010, 09:07 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Same here. Ther steps would either not retract or would not deploy at random. The control box went bad. Nice place to put the thing too, under the coach in the open. Isn't that the most sensible place to put electronics????
DutchStar38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 07:05 PM   #12

Glad you got it fixed, esp. while traveling. For future reference, Kwikee's website has an excellent trouble shooting guide. If you use it, you can determine if it is bad ground, controller, motor, or other problem. Some have found Ford power window motors a direct match replacement if that is your problem.
yudamann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 05:08 PM   #13

Thanks for the info. I had looked at their website but didn't find it helpful. Guess I didn't search adequately.

Dave Weber
08 Alpine 40MDTS
Old 08-01-2010, 08:45 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
I'll give all of a follow up on the Kwikee retractable step that didn't work. First let me thank all who took the time to make suggestions as I appreciated the ideas. I tried them all and didn't find a solution. I then took it to a local RV repair shop (we were traveling) and he found that the control module was bad. So $145 later it's fixed.

Dave Weber
2008 Alpine Coach MDTS 40 ft
Hey Dave, It's always nice to read about a mechanical problem and then what it took to fix it...one never knows...thanks for the follow up. Bob

'05 Monaco Windsor 40 DST - ISL / '08 Wrangler
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote