Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-03-2022, 11:03 AM   #1

Kwikee Step Problem

Background: The coach door was open with the 2 steps out. The engine was started just before the passenger put their weight on the steps when entering the coach. Later the steps stopped short on closing and the unit chattered as it attempted to close completely which it never did. The chatter stops after a few seconds. Lifting and pushing the steps or giving them a slight kick did cause them to close but didn't solve anything permanently. Alas the noise, after a few of these kicks or lifts, then also occurred when the steps started to extend. However, they did extend fully with no further help. They continued to chatter when incompletely closing too. The amount the steps stick out from being fully closed is about 3 inches.

The first step was to disconnect the curved "A" arm connected to the gear box. The steps manually worked smoothly from fully open to close, and fully shut to full extension. In other words there was no restriction in movement. (Obviously they did not lock open or closed.)

Next the entire unit was removed. Since the steps did extend and retract in seemed that the motor portion was operating and thus the gears were probably stripped. Not so! These aren't plastic but are heavy duty metal. No chipped gears or even wear observed on either the gear box gear or the motor gear. No foreign objects were noted anywhere.

I could just put it all back together but I suspect the same problem will exist. Has anyone else experienced anything similar?

After reading this I noted that I didn't say that the gear box movement was smooth as expected. But I never checked the motor side. It was not expected to freely turn. It didn't but it did turn approximately 18 degrees. This seems like it might be high so unless someone tells me something else I'll order a new motor early next week. Maybe there is a plastic gear or another weak component in the sealed motor.
TurtleBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-03-2022, 11:21 AM   #2
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I'm thinking that the chatter may be stripped gears!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2022, 11:25 AM   #3
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Inside the motor assembly is a plastic worm gear that is probably stripped. Replacements are available on Amazon and that would be my first thing to replace. Stripping of the plastic gears is very common. If the motor shaft turned easily then it's definitely stripped as it's shouldn't turn at all against the worm gear. Here's the latest one I ordered for our replacement and should be the same or similar to yours.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0B6PFZ1YL
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2022, 12:09 PM   #4

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBack View Post
Maybe there is a plastic gear or another weak component in the sealed motor.
Yes, there are three little cylinder shaped, nylon / plastic pieces under the large plastic gear. These appear to be the sacrificial parts of the gearbox. Mine were totally crumbled, so, easy to see, but I'm sure if they even get slightly out of round, they would allow the gearbox to slip.
Old 12-03-2022, 12:18 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBack View Post
Background: The coach door was open with the 2 steps out. The engine was started just before the passenger put their weight on the steps when entering the coach. Later the steps stopped short on closing and the unit chattered as it attempted to close completely which it never did. The chatter stops after a few seconds. Lifting and pushing the steps or giving them a slight kick did cause them to close but didn't solve anything permanently. Alas the noise, after a few of these kicks or lifts, then also occurred when the steps started to extend. However, they did extend fully with no further help. They continued to chatter when incompletely closing too. The amount the steps stick out from being fully closed is about 3 inches.

The first step was to disconnect the curved "A" arm connected to the gear box. The steps manually worked smoothly from fully open to close, and fully shut to full extension. In other words there was no restriction in movement. (Obviously they did not lock open or closed.)

Next the entire unit was removed. Since the steps did extend and retract in seemed that the motor portion was operating and thus the gears were probably stripped. Not so! These aren't plastic but are heavy duty metal. No chipped gears or even wear observed on either the gear box gear or the motor gear. No foreign objects were noted anywhere.

I could just put it all back together but I suspect the same problem will exist. Has anyone else experienced anything similar?

After reading this I noted that I didn't say that the gear box movement was smooth as expected. But I never checked the motor side. It was not expected to freely turn. It didn't but it did turn approximately 18 degrees. This seems like it might be high so unless someone tells me something else I'll order a new motor early next week. Maybe there is a plastic gear or another weak component in the sealed motor.

Without reading all your post, soon as you said someone stepped on them before they opened my guess stripped plastic gear.
Old 12-03-2022, 05:41 PM   #6

Here’s a picture of a new replacement plastic gear. It’s the very first gear that the spiral cut teeth in the motor shaft run in, and probably accounts for 90% of the step problems.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	03C344A4-02DA-4187-9EB6-11120A7BA300.jpeg
Views:	29
Size:	318.5 KB
ID:	382051  
alank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2022, 10:36 PM   #7

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Mine a Kwikee#26, single step, I too checked my big gears without resolve of cause, (I expected broken gears, found none) and suspect my issue is the worm gear on the motor shaft. Have not yet pulled, because I did not, at the time, want to have to crimp splice the wires back together... (no plugs in mine, a vintage 22yo)
Old 12-03-2022, 10:40 PM   #8

This will explain it all.

SavnTheWales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 02:41 PM   #9

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
^^ That's a different gearbox to mine! ^^
Old 12-06-2022, 04:24 PM   #10

Kwikee Step Video

SavnTheWhales provided a great link to this issue. The first thing it did was to provide the exact sound that I was hearing. Sadly I ordered the motor before I saw the reference by alank to the new gear shown just above. That was the problem. Perhaps alank might indicate where he found the new gear for future readers.
TurtleBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2022, 05:35 PM   #11

I just did a search on the internet to find the replacement gear, seems it was about $11.
Old 12-06-2022, 06:00 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Yeah after having the same situation with the steps, NO ONE opens the door while the engine is running and transmission is in park! Then wait till steps stop moving then you can step out. Haven’t had a problem since implementing this rule. Hope the op gets his working.
AlanTerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 12:05 AM   #13

Check the pinned comment on my video. It has a link on EBAY selling gear.
SavnTheWales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 08:53 AM   #14

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
You need to find/download the Power Gear Paper "Kwikee Step
Identification and
Replacement Parts
Guide"
TIP
SHEET

Tags
kwikee, problem