Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-22-2022, 02:17 PM   #1

Kwikee steps suddenly stopped working

I've seen threads of problems with these steps, and I thought I was so lucky. I guess not. I just went outside to run the engine for a while, and noticed the steps did not come up. In fact they won't go up if I just close the door and have the switch turned on. They aren't frozen, they can move, and I checked the four fuses in the battery box and they're all good. The light underneath is also on. I have a partial manual, apparently I don't have the pages where it tells how to troubleshoot. Is there anything that's the first place to check on these? The sensor or magnet on the screen door and the other piece are pretty far apart, but it's always been working By the way I'm aware of being careful working on this thing.
tap4154 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-22-2022, 03:12 PM   #2

You can either jumper the 2 wires of the sensor, or find a magnet and hold up to the sensor. That’s the first place I would look.

Be sure to test with your step switch in both positions - I always get confused on which position mine is supposed to be in.

I guess the weird part is the steps didn’t come in with the engine running - but the sensor has to be energized with the magnet for that to happen. At least it does on ours.
Old 06-22-2022, 03:39 PM   #3

Thank you for the response Mr. Mark. I actually already got it fixed. Like I said I was checking the easy things first, checked the fuses, then got under and unplugged the connection to the motor and sprayed cleaner/lubricant into the connectors, put it back together and it works!

Man I love it when it's an easy fix! In the meantime I downloaded the full manual, so now I have that on me
Old 06-22-2022, 03:59 PM   #4

By the way I had the same problem. I was always confusing which way the step switch was, so I finally put a label on it. It was installed upside down in my opinion.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20220622_145107.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	41.6 KB
ID:	369077
Old 06-22-2022, 04:11 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tap4154 View Post
I've seen threads of problems with these steps, and I thought I was so lucky. I guess not. I just went outside to run the engine for a while, and noticed the steps did not come up. In fact they won't go up if I just close the door and have the switch turned on. They aren't frozen, they can move, and I checked the four fuses in the battery box and they're all good. The light underneath is also on. I have a partial manual, apparently I don't have the pages where it tells how to troubleshoot. Is there anything that's the first place to check on these? The sensor or magnet on the screen door and the other piece are pretty far apart, but it's always been working By the way I'm aware of being careful working on this thing.

If you can move them manually, gear is striped.
Old 06-22-2022, 04:13 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha_Rooster View Post
If you can move them manually, gear is striped.
That's a good point, but I could only move them just a little bit. I was mainly saying that it wasn't corroded in place, but it's all working now.

In fact now I cannot move them at all manually, they are locked in place when down. I have a feeling what happened was the last time they went down before it stopped working, they did not lock in place.
Old 06-23-2022, 02:05 PM   #7

Lube them monthly as the owners manual states.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 07:26 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Lube them monthly as the owners manual states.
I do spray some lube in there pretty regularly. I hit all the hinge points. I think I'll check that motor connector occasionally as well and give it a squirt of electrical cleaner. But considering it's been plugged in for 12 years, and it just now lost contact, that's not too bad.
Old 07-02-2022, 11:38 PM   #9

SavnTheWales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 08:49 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SavnTheWales View Post
Thanks for posting that video, it's excellent!

My steps are still working though, it was just that one electrical connection that needed to be cleaned up.

Tags
kwikee, steps