Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-07-2018, 02:36 PM   #1

Ladder Replacement

Where can I buy ladder parts? Yes, I damaged the ladder. Yes, it was all my fault. Yes, I was negligent. Now to the important question. It appears the ladder is damaged beyond repair as both sides of the tubing are ‘kinked’. ‘Where’ is the big question. This is a 2016 Forest River Forester 2301 Class C 24’. I’ve looked all over for ladders and ladder parts to no avail. I’d like to just get new tubing, disassemble the ladder and replace the tubing. Is that feasible? If not, where can I get the exact same ladder to replace it? Forest River site is not helpful at all. I can’t see paying someone to do something I can do myself. Advice and recommendations appreciated. Thank you!
DikEva is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-07-2018, 02:53 PM   #2
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Someone must have backed into something before we got the MH and both vertical tubes are kinked below the last step. So far it hasn't collapsed with me!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 03:08 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I would not bother trying to fix a kinked ladder. I did it on my Fleetwood and it never looked original.

I would first find out what Forrest River wants to send you a new ladder that will be an exact plug and play replacement. It shouldn't be too bad as Camping World sells generic ones for about $99. (but no guarantee that it looks the same or the mounts will line up)
Old 04-08-2018, 03:39 AM   #4
DJJ

https://factoryrvsurplus.com/product...oduct_count=48
DJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 04:10 AM   #5

Just google up "RV Ladders". Bunch of sites come up.
Stromberg Carlson is probably the largest manufacturer of ladders.
Grumpy
grumpy0374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 08:59 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
If you are into DIY here is what I did: I removed the steps above and below the kink, then cut the kink part out just below and above the screw holes for the step mounts. I found a old aluminum folding chair that had the same size as the ladder and cut two pieces the exact length of those I cut out. I went and found a piece of electric steel conduit that fit inside the aluminum tube and cut it 4 inches longer than the ladder pieces depending how your steps mount I assembled the pieces leaving two inches of the elect. conduit on each end of the ladder tube. I then screwed with self taping screws the conduit and aluminum tube together from the back side of the ladder 1 inch above and below the repair stabilizing the pieces together and then reattached the steps. All better and nothing shows except the 4 screws from the back side. After pricing a new ladder I figure it saved me about 300 bucks.
Old 04-08-2018, 10:06 AM   #7

Here you go RV ladder parts plus tubing.

https://factoryrvsurplus.com/product...-repair-parts/
Old 04-08-2018, 10:20 AM   #8

Ladders

Most obvious question, Why bother. If you look at RVs of all types rolling down the road, the thing most often attached to an RV ladder, is another ladder.

RV ladders are just not made for us heftier campers. They affect gas mileage as they distort the air flow. Most importantly, they only allow access to one part of the roof. You have to walk all over the roof to get to any other spot, and that is not a good thing.

Harbor Freight has a great adjustable ladder for about $120. It is both a step ladder and a straight ladder. It rides on my back bumper. I just added two eye bolts and strap it on. When needed, it can take me right to any part of the roof.
pxr177 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 06:08 PM   #9

I bought this one to replace the one I damaged by backing into a log. It turned out I was able to remove the damaged lower section and splice into the original upper section. You could barely see the splice. This repair was done on our 1998 with aluminum finish on it's ladder. It looks like they have black ones now also. https://www.amazon.com/Stromberg-Car...ords=rv+ladder
99dart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 08:49 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by pxr177 View Post
They affect gas mileage as they distort the air flow. Most importantly, they only allow access to one part of the roof. You have to walk all over the roof to get to any other spot, and that is not a good thing.
1. The affect on gas mileage on a moving box with a front end less aerodynamic than a barn door is not measurable.

2. Once you get on the roof, you have access to the whole roof.

3. Why is it not a good thing to get on the roof? It is strong enough to support a small cocktail party with good friends and you have access to every place on the roof to check every opening and joint that could ever leak.

I go up on our roof using the rear ladder every week or two and have never encountered any of the issues you mention.
Old 04-08-2018, 10:43 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by DikEva View Post
Where can I buy ladder parts? Yes, I damaged the ladder. Yes, it was all my fault. Yes, I was negligent. Now to the important question. It appears the ladder is damaged beyond repair as both sides of the tubing are ‘kinked’. ‘Where’ is the big question. This is a 2016 Forest River Forester 2301 Class C 24’. I’ve looked all over for ladders and ladder parts to no avail. I’d like to just get new tubing, disassemble the ladder and replace the tubing. Is that feasible? If not, where can I get the exact same ladder to replace it? Forest River site is not helpful at all. I can’t see paying someone to do something I can do myself. Advice and recommendations appreciated. Thank you!
I doubt many have never made a mistake that caused damage to their RV. Welcome to the club.
awol50 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, replace, replacement