Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-02-2021, 04:24 PM   #1

Las Vegas owners, what are you paying for registration?

Hello all, I'm moving to Las Vegas soon, and we currently have a 2019 Newmar Mountain Aire 4018. I did a quick estimate using NV's DMV website and the total estimated registration fee was $9,300. I didn't think it could be worse than CA, which is about $2,700 but it's over 3 times more!

Is that really what people are paying to register a DP in Clark County, Nevada?

I guess it's time to look into the South Dakota option if this is really the case. I get it, it's an expensive/heavy coach and I'm sure I'll get some "if you can afford the coach you should be able to afford the registration" comments. It's not that I *can't* it's just that it seems ridiculously astronomical.

-TJ
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-03-2021, 03:29 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjZ06 View Post
Hello all, I'm moving to Las Vegas soon, and we currently have a 2019 Newmar Mountain Aire 4018. I did a quick estimate using NV's DMV website and the total estimated registration fee was $9,300. I didn't think it could be worse than CA, which is about $2,700 but it's over 3 times more!

Is that really what people are paying to register a DP in Clark County, Nevada?

I guess it's time to look into the South Dakota option if this is really the case. I get it, it's an expensive/heavy coach and I'm sure I'll get some "if you can afford the coach you should be able to afford the registration" comments. It's not that I *can't* it's just that it seems ridiculously astronomical.

-TJ
SD or TX are wise choices
Old 07-04-2021, 06:09 AM   #3

Greedy taxing entities!

Karen & Allen Van Zandt
txcpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 10:55 PM   #4

Nobody who is actually registering their RV in Las Vegas cares to share the cost?

-TJ
Old 07-25-2021, 08:18 PM   #5

Quote:
Nobody who is actually registering their RV in Las Vegas cares to share the cost?

-TJ
Bump.

I guess we will never know.
Jack Klompus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 10:58 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The registration fees are very reasonable. However the state of NV has a Government Services Tax (GST) that is based on the year and MSRP of a coach. The MSRP is determined by the state, not what your sales contract might show, but it is adjusted based on the year of the coach.

The DMV applies a Valuation Factor of 35% of the adjusted MSRP to arrive at the DMV Valuation. There is no DMV Valuation depreciation for the first year, so you pay 4% of the full DMV Valuation.

The DMV Valuation depreciation for the second year is 5%, so you pay 4% of 95% of the DMV Valuation. Each year after that the DMV Valuation depreciation is reduced by 10% until the multiplier reaches a minimum of 15%.

I believe Clark county may have an additional county tax they calculate into the above, but I'm not sure as I live in Carson City.

If you're tempted to register your coach in some other state while residing the majority of your time and parking your coach in NV, I would be very, very careful. The penalties and fines are very severe.

There are a number of ways you can get caught. If you have a neighbor that owns an RV and is paying the tax, when they see an out-of-state license on your coach for more than 30 days one of them is very likely to turn you in.

County Sheriff Deputies and Nevada Highway Patrol are also very knowledgeable on this issue particularly when they see a coach registered in a state like SD or MT, but the towed vehicle is registered in NV. Then if they stop you and you show them a NV driver's license things can go downhill real quickly.

Your insurance company can be another problem. They are going to want to know where your vehicles are parked the majority of the time. If you have say SD plates on the coach and NV plates on your towed vehicle that will be hard to explain. If you tell them the truth they probably won't issue you a policy. That leaves the only other option of lying to them, which probably won't turn out well.

Now there will be those that say they have done it for years with no problems at all, and that's probably true. It just depends on how lucky you feel.

The attached table may help clarify the tax computation a bit. I just used a MSRP of $400,000 as an example.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	NV GST Table.png
Views:	173
Size:	22.1 KB
ID:	337269  
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2021, 01:35 PM   #7

Las Vegas owners, what are you paying for registration?

Late to the party but still. What’s your msrp? My Winnie drop was 24k new in ‘18 and it is 320 to renew it this year while my ‘19 3500 is 850. You can drop it by about 100 bucks not being in Clark county but yes registration sucks out here. Not on the same scale as you but yes it’s pretty accurate if you start multiplying the numbers.
vroom_vroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2021, 01:48 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by vroom_vroom View Post
Late to the party but still. What’s your msrp? My Winnie drop was 24k new in ‘18 and it is 320 to renew it this year while my ‘19 3500 is 850. You can drop it by about 100 bucks not being in Clark county but yes registration sucks out here. Not on the same scale as you but yes it’s pretty accurate if you start multiplying the numbers.
Probably about 20 times the value of your Winnie.
Old 09-04-2021, 03:22 PM   #9

Quote:
Hello all, I'm moving to Las Vegas soon, ......

it's time to look into the South Dakota .......

-TJ
Why are you moving to Lost Wages?

Serious question, the only redeeming quality of Clark County for me is two granddaughters. The school system will provide an education to become cocktail servers on the stip.

When we retired, we spent a lot of time traveling in the MH looking for a place to settle. We established Washington State residency using a friends address and bought property to build a house. Tabs for boat, MH, and Toad were $226 this year.

Our son lived in Henderson, so we visited often in the winter. After they finally had a baby, we found visiting more often. Together we bought a bigger house with a bigger yard and RV parking.

As far as I can tell, nobody in Nevada cares where my MH and Toad are registered.

I have lived in states where they did care. If I was working a temporary assignment, my company would pay for me to go home every so often. I once got a $200 ticket when I moved out of the RV and into a house in Pennsylvania.

I not sure what you have to do in Las Vegas area to get pulled over.

So if you are retiring, you can 'reside' anywhere you want. The farther from California or New York the better.
Old 09-04-2021, 03:42 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobGed View Post
The registration fees are very reasonable. However the state of NV has a Government Services Tax (GST) that is based on the year and MSRP of a coach. The MSRP is determined by the state, not what your sales contract might show, but it is adjusted based on the year of the coach.

The DMV applies a Valuation Factor of 35% of the adjusted MSRP to arrive at the DMV Valuation. There is no DMV Valuation depreciation for the first year, so you pay 4% of the full DMV Valuation.

The DMV Valuation depreciation for the second year is 5%, so you pay 4% of 95% of the DMV Valuation. Each year after that the DMV Valuation depreciation is reduced by 10% until the multiplier reaches a minimum of 15%.

I believe Clark county may have an additional county tax they calculate into the above, but I'm not sure as I live in Carson City.

If you're tempted to register your coach in some other state while residing the majority of your time and parking your coach in NV, I would be very, very careful. The penalties and fines are very severe.

There are a number of ways you can get caught. If you have a neighbor that owns an RV and is paying the tax, when they see an out-of-state license on your coach for more than 30 days one of them is very likely to turn you in.

County Sheriff Deputies and Nevada Highway Patrol are also very knowledgeable on this issue particularly when they see a coach registered in a state like SD or MT, but the towed vehicle is registered in NV. Then if they stop you and you show them a NV driver's license things can go downhill real quickly.

Your insurance company can be another problem. They are going to want to know where your vehicles are parked the majority of the time. If you have say SD plates on the coach and NV plates on your towed vehicle that will be hard to explain. If you tell them the truth they probably won't issue you a policy. That leaves the only other option of lying to them, which probably won't turn out well.

Now there will be those that say they have done it for years with no problems at all, and that's probably true. It just depends on how lucky you feel.

The attached table may help clarify the tax computation a bit. I just used a MSRP of $400,000 as an example.

I really hate to say this and rain on this over taxed parade but it's only $60 [for most any motorized RV] a year for the Cornerstone in FL. We live far enough from the big cities to keep the insurance low.

I feel for you guys.
Old 09-04-2021, 05:10 PM   #11

I paid $1,690 last week, based on a $124k MSRP, two years old. Add $35 for the smog.
GOLDandGREY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 02:54 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by F4Gary View Post
Probably about 20 times the value of your Winnie.

That was my point. Take my registration and multiply it by 20. It’s a big number.
vroom_vroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 03:49 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Including the government services tax $2400 new $1658 this year. Plus smog check if your in Clark County.
Old 09-05-2021, 04:03 AM   #14

We all know about the sales tax when you buy a rig...but I'm shocked at the high registration fee in NV. (That's a lot of $ in anybody's book).

In MN we pay the sales tax (like most other states) when we buy the rig...about 7%. The license registration fee is less than $150 on any motorhome as it is not based on the value of the RV. (There are no other registration fees or taxes after you buy it other than this less than $150 fee).

MN has an income tax and a huge corporate tax base...the Twin Cities are home to more Fortune 500 companies than almost any other place.

Semi-retired and plan to stay here until I die and travel extensively in the RV. I love Las Vegas as place to visit and will be there next month for 18 days.

OP...if it's a 1x fee and you know for sure you'll stay in NV for life, I'd bite the bullet and pay it.
TJFogelberg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas