Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-02-2020, 11:01 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Leaky Power Gear Jack?

I have a Power Gear (LCI) hydraulic self-leveling system on my Class A. The passenger front jack leaks hydraulic fluid when I retract the jacks.

I've seen fresh hydraulic oil under the jack. I've watched it extending and retracting and it only leaks on retraction. I'd say as much as a 1/8th cup of fluid or less. It's hard to tell. Sometimes it only a little and sometimes its a fair amount.

I took a video with my phone while it was retracting and I don't see any leaking but I do see the oil on the driveway from the bottom of the jack. I watched it retract last week when we left a campground and it was more visible as an active leak.

I've cleaned around the hose connections and in use I see no new fresh oil there. So, I'm fairly certain it's from the seal.

Are these seals replaceable or does the jack just have to be replaced? Could a hydraulic shop fix this issue? Or is it just an order a part and have it installed kind of a fix?

Here's the video. You will not see much happening. But as the jack lifts fully you'll see the fresh hydraulic oil on the pavement. Ok, you can also see that no fluid is coming from the hose connection at the top of the jack. (There are jack pads on the bottom of the jack):

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-02-2020, 11:16 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Yes they are repairable. I called Lippert with the part number on the jack and got a repair kit. I removed the jack and rebuilt it myself. the hardest part was the spring removal. A hydraulic shop should be able to repair also. I had one jack that was not repairable due to a deep groove cut in the ram. Lippert was great to work with and sent the parts quickly.
Old 06-08-2020, 09:07 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
They are rebuildable. I've had two PowerGear legs rebuilt at a local hydraulic repair shop. They found that gravel and dirt had scored the piston so they replaced them with piston material they had on hand. Removed the foot from the bad piston and put it on the new one then redid the seals. I did have to get the cylinders removed from the coach and just took them the bad cylinders.

Tags
leak, power, power gear