Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-17-2012, 10:01 PM   #1

Learned something new about my power gear levelers

Our coach is equipped with PowerGear levelers and I learned something new yesterday. We were at a new campground and we found that the electrical didn't work. Being as we weren't going far I didn't bother plugging the power cord back into the coach. However when we started the engine and went to lower the jacks nothing would happen, wouldn't even turn on the jacks down light was off. After starting and stopping the engine, making sure that it was still in park with he brake applied, I decided to plug the electrical cord back in. After I did that the power gear panel worked. I never realized it mattered if the electric was connected or not.
Steve&Dora is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-18-2012, 04:07 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
You need not have to have the coach plugged into shore power for the leveling system to work properly. You do need proper 12 volt power. It sounds as though your house battery disconnect my not be turned on or has a problem feeding power from the battery bank to the coach. What is your coach, year, make and model?
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 05:43 PM   #3

That was my thought too, until it didn't work with the cord not plugged into anything. it is a 2005 Fleetwood Terra 32s on the workhorse chassis.
I have it home now, and I tried the same scenario with the shore power cord not plugged into anything and everything worked fine.
I haven't done anything with the house batter disconnect and when testing at home had cabin lights on no problem. Didn't think to check that when I was having the issue.
Any suggestions as to what I can do to trouble shoot this? Wasn't a big problem the other day but could easily become one if it happens again
Steve&Dora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 08:39 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve&Dora View Post
I have it home now, and I tried the same scenario with the shore power cord not plugged into anything and everything worked fine.
I haven't done anything with the house batter disconnect and when testing at home had cabin lights on no problem. Didn't think to check that when I was having the issue.
Any suggestions as to what I can do to trouble shoot this? Wasn't a big problem the other day but could easily become one if it happens again
It sounds like someone accidentally turned off your house batteries, prior to your problem. The simple act of starting the engine would cause your BCC to close both disconnects (both house and chassis) and then the jacks would work.

Not a problem. It's designed that way.
Old Bounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 06:16 PM   #5

Except the engine was running the first time I tried. I have found it works better with the engine running.
Old 03-21-2012, 02:52 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Follow the manufacturer's instructions; "engine must be running to operate" Power gear systems.
Old 03-21-2012, 06:13 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Wizard View Post
Follow the manufacturer's instructions; "engine must be running to operate" Power gear systems.
My manual says the same thing.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 09:47 PM   #8

Ok, well that would explain why it works better with the engine running. But as I said the engine was running first time. But couldn't turn on the power gear and also the jacks down warning light wasn't on.
Old 03-23-2012, 03:14 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve&Dora View Post
Ok, well that would explain why it works better with the engine running. But as I said the engine was running first time. But couldn't turn on the power gear and also the jacks down warning light wasn't on.
You also need to have the battery banks turned on.
Old 03-23-2012, 09:59 AM   #10

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
My guess as to what happened, And I stress that this is a GUESS.

On my coach, far as I know the jacks are wired to the chassis battery, Manual says to have engine running so we have alternator power.. However there is no reason that they could not be wired to the HOUSE circuit if that's how your coach builder wired them.

IN that case.. If your House battery disconnect is in the "Disconnected" mode (Store, Disconnect, OFF whatever they call it) ... Your jacks might well not work till you plugged in. (or if the house batteries are toast, or if your alternator is toast)
Old 03-23-2012, 09:46 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Wizard View Post
On a Fleetwood gas coach the engine does NOT have to be running to operate the Power Gear jacks.

You do need a good source of 12v, and if that requires the engine to be running, then so be it, but there is NO interlock that says the engine must be running.
Old Bounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 10:00 PM   #12

Well the batteries were not turned off, it is a gas engine coach but in any event I did have the engine running. The strangest part of this though is that after I plugged the power cord into the motor home, the jacks worked.
Old 03-24-2012, 01:29 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Power Gear wants the engine running to insure good voltage to their system. We repair more systems from low voltage issues than for any other reason. Motors do not like to work with low voltage and over time will fail as a result. Remember a circuit must have a complete path. If you have good 12 volt + you must also have a good 12 volt -. You may want to check for good grounds in case the chassis ground is finding a path through the power cord, through the power supply panel or at the transfer switch.
Old 03-24-2012, 01:40 AM   #14
Community Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by loulong View Post
On a Fleetwood gas coach the engine does NOT have to be running to operate the Power Gear jacks.

You do need a good source of 12v, and if that requires the engine to be running, then so be it, but there is NO interlock that says the engine must be running.
Fleetwood does require the engine to be running on the electric jack set up. Power gear requires it as well as the control board will not operate without the engine running. Here is a link to the manual http://support.powergearus.com/techdocs/82-L0368.pdf

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power