Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-03-2019, 02:48 PM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
Leaves in Vents

I have vent covers over my vents (there are three vents) and I have accumulated live oak leaves and other leaves and pine needle that lay on the screens.

What is the easiest way to clean these out-
-get on the roof and remove the covers and vacuum them or
-carefully remove the four screws that hold the vent mechanism frame in place

I am thinking the inside way (removing the frame) and cleaning the leaf debris is best and at the same time replace the piddly little fans one in the bathroom and one in the kitchen counter/stove area with a create a breeze unit or something similar
seb1899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-03-2019, 03:06 PM   #2

on our fantastic fan i can remove the screen independently of the frame from the inside. are you sure you can’t do the same?
Old 11-03-2019, 08:00 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk911 View Post
on our fantastic fan i can remove the screen independently of the frame from the inside. are you sure you can’t do the same?
Mine as well. I am able to remove just the screen by prying with my fingers to pull the round screen down and clean off then snap them back in.

Some have little knob type pins that you spin to clear the screen ring and then pull it down. After ….you re install the screen and turn the little pillars back around to hold them in.
Det57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 07:18 AM   #4

I have used air compressor and blow gun pistol that have a good venturi tip that about triples air flow. Great for smaller compressors. I use on windows screens and carefully/skilfully on A/C fins I frequent areas that have cottonwood trees
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 08:47 AM   #5

I used my Worx battery powered leaf blower inside with fan on exhaust high speed.
Carlos Marti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 10:35 AM   #6

I usually try blowing the stuff out with compressed air and if that fails I take the screen off from the inside.

Steve

1996 Dodge Cummins 2500 with 1996 Lance 945 camper
dix39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 01:49 PM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner

This is what I am talking about- the screen does not come out nor does the crank come off for screen removal.

Can I just take the four frame screws out get rid of the debris and replace the "cheesy'' fans witha better product or do I have to take the vent covers off and work from the roof side.
seb1899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 03:34 PM   #8

In order to remove the screen, it usually is done through the inside rather than on top ...if that's what you're trying to do. You can also access the fan blade while doing so. So yes, remove the screws (watch the video below at 1:14).

I'm not sure what brand of vent fan you have --it appears to be a VentLine-- but I believe the basic procedure is the same. Attempting to replace the fan blade to a larger one may or may not pose problems, however. You will have to carefully check to see if a larger fan blade will have enough clearance.

I may be tempted to replace the entire assembly to a newer model that has a larger fan and a higher CFM rating. Yours appears to be a entry level vent fan ...I don't want to say "cheaper" model but I think that's where your RV manufacturer was trying to save costs.

You might consider upgrading to a Fan-Tastic Fan, MaxxFan, or similar product which will have a substantially larger fan blade. For example, I believe the entry-level Fan-Tastic Fan is around $120.

etrailer has them for $117.66 ...go HERE

If you just want to remove the screen to clean it and possibly try to change out the fan blade to a larger one, check the video below and at 1:14 it will show how to remove the screen and have access to the fan blade from the inside of the coach (and, of course, at 2:52 shows reassembling).

theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 08:04 PM   #9

Use a shop vac and blow it out from the inside
ACOMA1889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 07:01 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACOMA1889 View Post
Use a shop vac and blow it out from the inside
Just make sure the hose is washed out or at least blow it out out side first.I have made that mistake before switching to blow side and looked like a fogger of dust coming out of hose.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 08:37 AM   #11

I had that happen. I used a leaf blower from inside.
Carlos Marti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 02:11 PM   #12

Looks like it needed cleaning awhile ago. Clean it out and install max air covers.
Old 12-18-2019, 03:55 PM   #13

I have the exact same setup and recently needed to clean and replace fan blades. You can easily do it from inside. You need to remove the crank handle by removing the screw that is up inside the shaft. Mine had 2 screws, one in the middle on both ends of the screen that needed to be removed. Than remove the 4 corner screws on the plastic molding and the screen and molding will come down together.
Old 12-20-2019, 06:41 AM   #14

No need to remove screen.

Just crank the vent lid open, turn fan on and then from the inside blow air up thru there with either an air compressor, leaf blower, vacuum cleaner set in reverse, canned air from Walmart or any other source of forced air.

Once you get all that ignorance out of there, install these or something similar over your vents. This way you'll keep this from happening again and you'll be able to keep your vents open when it's raining.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Camco-404...White/47412176

Installed they look like this. See attached pic.

Shame on you for letting those screens get that dirty.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	vent-covers.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	26.8 KB
ID:	269974   Click image for larger version

Name:	roof.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	30.3 KB
ID:	269975  

marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags