Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-27-2021, 06:31 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Led lights

I have 3 2foot tube lights and got those about half working. It has a way to use 1 led light or u can make 2 at one time or with 2 switchs you car ge all 3.Si finally got all 3 working but a few seconds they started flicking and one would get dimmer so is there anyone had this problem? I took the the ballast out and wired the positive to one side and neutral too other side.
sewerdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-27-2021, 06:43 PM   #2

LEDs do not need a ballast. Were the lights originally fluorescent and you replaced with LEDs? If that's the case, you may have destroyed the LED lights with the ballast in the circuit.
dsurette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 11:14 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
I took the ballast out first then hooked up the led lights they will do fine for a little while.After a couple min. they start flickering not acting right. I think they need resistors or something? If u could help me? Thanks
Old 11-28-2021, 10:05 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewerdog View Post
I took the ballast out first then hooked up the led lights they will do fine for a little while.After a couple min. they start flickering not acting right. I think they need resistors or something? If u could help me? Thanks
Go to Lowe's and buy some new lights that work correctly is what I would do. I am not sure what you are trying to do or with what parts.
Old 11-28-2021, 11:14 AM   #5

If there was a ballast installed originally then I suspect that you have 120VAC going to the LEDs. Unplug your RV or turn off the main circuit breaker and see what happens when you try to turn on the lights. This should remove the possibility of you applying AC to the LEDs unless they are powered through an inverter.
Old 11-28-2021, 11:19 AM   #6

After reading that they do okay for a little while then you probably didn't apply 120V to them. I would expect them to go out in dramatic fashion if you had. I'm sorry, but I'm at a loss as to what your problem could be.
Old 11-28-2021, 11:49 AM   #7
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
It sounds like you may have just gotten some low-quality bulbs.
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 11:58 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe
It sounds like the voltage is dropping, causing the LED lights to flicker.

Measure the voltage at the lights when you turn them on, and again when they start to flicker.

You will have to "Tee" into the wires to do this, but it's the only way to be sure.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 03:20 PM   #9

Can you share exactly what parts you are trying to use. I have read your post a few times and unsure.
There are many posts to convert 12v RV fluorescent to 12v strip LEDs. There are also 12v led kits that are not true 12v strips and use a driver/convertor.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 07:55 PM   #10

There are 12V fluorescent lights with ballasts.

There are ballast compatible LED tube replacements, but I am not sure any are available for the size bulbs usually used in RVs.

So let's start with...

1. Are the fixtures 12V or 120V?
2. Do the LED replacement bulbs fit in the original fluorescent bulb sockets ("tombstones")?
3. If the answer to (2) is "yes," did you get ballast-compatible LED bulbs or ballast bypass LED bulbs?

A link to information about the bulbs and a picture of the fixture would be helpful.
n2zon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 01:00 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
I think i found the problem.There was 2 wires that was hooked up that didnt need to be and i unhooked the 2 extra wires and it is working fine i hope! Thanks

Tags
led, light, lights