Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-28-2015, 02:21 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
LED replacement bulbs

The heat generated by the current halogen lighting in my 36' Itasca is very noticeable. I am considering changing the lighting to LED. I do not understand the nomenclature when looking at these expensive bulbs. They refer to Kelvin, lumen and amp draw. I get the amp issue, but what is the difference in 180 lumens vs. 140 lumens etc. and I haven't a clue abut Kelvins. The prices are all over the place, depending on where you look; where should I buy these things. I need 35 replacement bulbs. Thanks.
Elycas10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-28-2015, 02:33 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Lumens is brightness or like visible light, Kelvin is color. Higher Kelvin, the more blue color range, lower is more yellowish I guess. 3000 to 3500 Kelvin is a softer more natural light. 6500 k is towards the blue scale, seems brighter without adding lumens.
milasman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 02:43 PM   #3

I bought a bunch of cheap ones on ebay. Within two weeks, 1/4 of them had died. The actual LEDs were still ok, but internal wire bonds had failed.

I then tried RVLEDBulbs.com - RV LED Bulbs, RV LED Lights and Light Accessories. They aren't cheap, but after almost two years ago, and none have failed. If you buy from them. the code FORUM at checkout will get you a 10% discount.

Joel
J Birder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 04:48 PM   #4

Elycas10-

Lumens = amount of light
Kelvin = color of light

If you're "older," as I am, you're used to "warm white," or 2400 to 2700 Kelvin. Above 3000 Kelvin you're moving into the blue-white range. Warning- Whether or not you like a color is a matter of personal opinion.

Buy a bulb or two and see if you like it. When you do buy in bulk (e.g., 35 bulbs), buy from a vendor who accepts returns. I've used

http://www.superbrightleds.com

but there are other reputable vendors out there, as "J Birder" points out.

If you get around to replacing your fluorescent bulbs, you may want to look at this iRV2 thread:

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f106/repl...ds-260076.html

Mark
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 02:05 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
thank you all for the educating me on LED lighting for my MH. I will take this info and try to come up with the right answer for our needs. Thanks again.

Ken
Elycas10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 06:42 AM   #6

Take a look at this online vendor.

M4 Products

They have a tutorial that explains in text and gives visual examples of different colors and brightness. They also have a page for identifying the type, style, and size of bulbs available.

They aren't the cheapest, but they do have good quality products. We used their Samsung Elite series bulbs throughout our 2013 Adventurer. The nice things about the Samsung bulbs is that they will operate over a wide voltage range, they have a built in heat sink, and they will work regardless of the polarity of the fixtures.
Old 09-30-2015, 12:17 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I've gotten good product and service from TechnoRV. www.technorv.com

Smart move to dump the halogens. Those SOBs are nothing but dangerous. First thing I did when I bought my boat years ago, and first thing I did when I bought the coach.

John & Diane, fulltiming since '12
'02 DS, FL, 3126, '04 Element
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 05:49 PM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Alpine Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We just changed over to.all LED..
I have blues in my kitchen and yellows elsewhere. The bluer seems brighter and I like in kitchen but too harsh to read by or do make up so the more natural yellows work in bedroom, bathroom and living room areas
Old 09-30-2015, 05:59 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
5 % Discount

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikerdogs View Post

M4 Products

They have a tutorial that explains in text and gives visual examples of different colors and brightness. They also have a page for identifying the type, style, and size of bulbs available.

They aren't the cheapest, but they do have good quality products. We used their Samsung Elite series bulbs throughout our 2013 Adventurer. The nice things about the Samsung bulbs is that they will operate over a wide voltage range, they have a built in heat sink, and they will work regardless of the polarity of the fixtures.
When checking out you can us this code for a 5% discount "RVGEEKS5 "

Change my whole RV over to LED's and all still working fine.
Mike & Karen. 2012 Holiday Rambler Vacationer 34 SBD, Toad is a 2014 Jeep Wrangler Sahara, Copperhead Pearl . Blue Ox base plate with Roadmaster Nighthawk towbar with RVibrake2 Auxiliary Braking System and EEZTIRE TPMS. CHF, rear track bar and Safe T Steer. FMCA Member.
SmokyRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 12:32 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
As mentioned, definitely try a few bulbs before buying in bulk! I bought a few that I trashed due to lack of light. Higher lumens don't necessarily mean higher amp drain, though I still don't understand why.

Also, the cool white and natural white are horrible and glarey (is that a word?) to me, and I highly prefer the warm white at approx 3200 kelvin. I've replaced all of my lights except for the flourescents with LED, even the light under the microwave, floor lights, and porch light.
Old 10-01-2015, 12:46 AM   #11

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFXG View Post
I've gotten good product and service from TechnoRV. www.technorv.com

Smart move to dump the halogens. Those SOBs are nothing but dangerous. First thing I did when I bought my boat years ago, and first thing I did when I bought the coach.

John & Diane, fulltiming since '12
'02 DS, FL, 3126, '04 Element
Yep, when we got the Magna almost the first thing my wife did was put a box right under a couple of the halogen lights. I saw it soon enough and showed her the burn marks on the box. First fixtures I changed were those two!!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 12:37 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikerdogs View Post

M4 Products

I'm a M4 fan. Replaced the same bulbs you're talking about. Just be gentle removing the metal ring to get to the bulb.
Old 10-11-2015, 08:59 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
I too have had bad luck ordering bulbs on the internet, where they work for a few days and the LEDs start going out as they are being driven too hard and overheat and die. But you also don't have to pay the high prices that places like Camping World charges, either.

If you go to WIT or FMCA rallies there will often be LED light seller there that will have good quality LED bulbs at better prices. I got several bulbs at WIT this summer and they all still work. You can take out bulbs and take them to their booth and they will help you choose the right ones. As stated Warm color will match your current filament bulbs, Cold is more like cold flouresenct lighting.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 09:21 PM   #14

Make sure any bulbs you buy are not listed as just 12 volt. Look for any with at least a 12 to 24 volt operating range. Otherwise plan on a few burning out.

Tags
ace, led, replace, replacement