Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-17-2011, 09:50 PM   #15
DKO

Clarify?

Quote:
Originally Posted by texnet View Post
Recently I replaced about 70% of our "puck light" G4 halogen blubs with LED disc that I purchased on eBay. They work great and the color/brightness is almost identical to the G4 blubs. While looking for more blubs on eBay I ran across another vendor selling the exact same item, at least the photos and markings are the same, for about 2/3s what I paid for mine. They also include free shipping. Yes, I realize these are not shipped from the USA, but I believe that all the ones that are shipped from the USA are made in Honk Kong, Taiwan or China anyway.

Here is a link for G4 LED replacements for $1.69 for the next 9 hours or so: eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices I have NOT purchased from this seller.

Here is a link for G4 LED replacements for qty 5 from the seller I purchased mine. He says they are 6500k but that is not true, they are closer to 3000k. 5pcs G4 24-3528 SMD LED Pure white Light Bulb Lamp New | eBay

I also purchased these 8x White T10 BA9S 48 LED SMD Dome Panel Lamp Light Bulb | eBay a few weeks ago and ordered some more to use them in some other lights in our coach and plan on using them in all our marker lights. Their output is in the 6000k-6500k range and very very bright.

I have no connection to any of these sellers and receive no compensation for this info. I am only providing IRV2 members information that I think might help them in their search for LED replacements.
Just to clarify... You are replacing the G4 5w lights with these?
DKO
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-17-2011, 10:41 PM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKO View Post
Just to clarify... You are replacing the G4 5w lights with these?
DKO
Simple answer, Yes... Longer answer, the ones that are specifically mounted in the "puck" style lights, see the previous photos I posted.

The T10 BA9S were NOT used to replace the G4 lights as they are too large to mount in the pucks without modification. However, I have used those in several other places such as a wall mounted lamp, the lights over our bed and the large light over the dining table. I also plan on using the T10 BA9S lights in the docking lights and compartment lights. I will need to wire the proper socket on a pigtail but I will have plenty of old lights to make those out of.

texnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 04:41 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

I've been getting my leds from rvledbulbs.com. They've got some terrific 205 lumen G4 bi-pins from Revolution that I'm using in the reading lights over my sofa. They slip right in with no mods to the puck. Now these bulbs are a bit pricey, but they are incredibly bright and have a 60,000 hour rated life. Love 'em!

And right now there is a 15% discount promo running - use the coupon code AC15 at checkout on the website.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 05:17 AM   #18

Location: Lake OZ,MO summer-RiverBend Motorcoach Resort,FL winter
I used G4 12x 5050, which are brighter than the 3528's as shown above. Mine work with my Intellitec switching (multiplex). If ordering, be sure you get non polarized. Many cheap ones out there must have correct polarity and the puck fixtures are not wired polarity, but can be changed if you remove and rewire each fixture. Also, in my pursuit of replacements, found that some that are non polarity have too large of a diode on the back to properly fit with the reflector in place. The ones I used fit and worked with no mods. If one wants to center the board in the fixture better, just cut the pins a bit.
Check out http://www.irv2.com/forums/f84/led-r...ml#post1040336 for more info.
Old 12-23-2011, 10:07 PM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
I ordered some additional G4 replacements from the same guy I ordered the previous ones. I received the new shipment today and installed them in the MH. The original specs on Ebay were 6500k leds and what came in the first time were 3000-3500k which actually matches the G4 filament blubs ver close. The ones that came in today were 6000-6500k leds and both my wife and I actually like them better in the living area but perfer the 3000-3500k in the bedroom. So, if you order from this seller http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=250920053191 you might get 3000-3500k or 6000-6500k. Either way I am happy with my purchase and am going to order some more as I missed my count and need a few more!

Old 07-14-2012, 11:32 AM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Is this the correct LED replacement for interior rv lights?

10X Pure White G4 24 SMD LED RV Marine Cabinet Lamp Light Car Bulb DC 12V New | eBay
Old 07-14-2012, 04:53 PM   #21

Posting this for those that missed it.

The bulbs I used for the pucks are 12x 5050 SMD, which is the most one can pack on a disk that will fit the fixture. Some are selling replacements that have only 6 or 9 chips. Of course 12 = more light. The 5050 LEDs are brighter than the 3528 LEDs that many are using. Yes, they dim.
I replaced every bulb in my coach (running lights/tail aready LED). My coach has the intellitec switching system with dimmers and all the LED's dim just as the halogens did. Buying in lots of 100, the puck replacements were $2.53 ea. including shipping. Be sure you get non polarized ones. I used the vendor AprilTang on DHgate. Good people.
3528 refers to 3.5mm x 2.8mm.
The 5050 emits about 3 times the light as the 3528 led.
Polarized means negative to negative and positive to positive connections required to work the light.
Non polarized means can be cross wired and will work either way.
Non polarized is accomplished by the addition of a bridge recifier usually mounted on the back of the board. Some rectifiers are larger than others and may obstruct when mounting in puck lights. The fixture can be removed and re-wired to correct polarity.
Warm white Leds are about 4500 kelvins, where bright whites are about 6500k. Natural white is in the middle, but harder to find. Watch out for the bright whites, brighter light, but bluish light and "cold". The 10w halogens like those found in many RV lights are around 3200K.
The G4 replacements for puck lights are side pins and the bulb cannot be turned around to correct polarity issues as one can with other types of bi-pin bulbs.
Bayonet base leds are polarized, but the bulb fits only one way (1157 double contact) or makes no difference in 1141 single contact.
Most LEDs are dimmable.
Hope this is of use to those converting to LEDs.
I recommend it.
Old 07-14-2012, 06:08 PM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
ottffss - they will NOT work on the low (6 volt) setting of a high/low switch. These discs require a minimum of 9 volts before the led's light.

Mark

Doc Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 02:53 PM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by orpco View Post
Is this the correct LED replacement for interior rv lights?

10X Pure White G4 24 SMD LED RV Marine Cabinet Lamp Light Car Bulb DC 12V New | eBay
The LED modules you listed work in the puck light assemblies that use the 2 pin G4 halogen bulbs.

Old 07-20-2012, 06:59 PM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
I still have trouble trying to figure out why people are so eager to change to LED lighting. Eventually you are going to have to start the generator. So, burn the lights you have and run the generator as necessary!
Old 07-20-2012, 09:11 PM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer View Post
I still have trouble trying to figure out why people are so eager to change to LED lighting. Eventually you are going to have to start the generator. So, burn the lights you have and run the generator as necessary!
TWO VERY good reasons are G4 Halogens generate a LOT of heat and draw a lot of current. With over 50 in our coach the hot G4s will raise the temp at least a few degrees. I also had several switches that were going bad due to the amps that were required to run the G4s... no more, as they run cool and draw hardly any current.

Old 07-27-2012, 10:01 PM   #26
DKO

Quote:
Originally Posted by justaroamer
Posting this for those that missed it.

The bulbs I used for the pucks are 12x 5050 SMD, which is the most one can pack on a disk that will fit the fixture. Some are selling replacements that have only 6 or 9 chips. Of course 12 = more light. The 5050 LEDs are brighter than the 3528 LEDs that many are using. Yes, they dim.
I replaced every bulb in my coach (running lights/tail aready LED). My coach has the intellitec switching system with dimmers and all the LED's dim just as the halogens did. Buying in lots of 100, the puck replacements were $2.53 ea. including shipping. Be sure you get non polarized ones. I used the vendor AprilTang on DHgate. Good people..
Thanks for the good information. I am not finding these 12x 5050 SMD on that sellers site. I may be overlooking it. Can you post or email a direct link to that particular bulb?

Thanks again,

DKO
Old 10-09-2012, 03:57 PM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Thanks for the good information. I am not finding these 12x 5050 SMD on that sellers site. I may be overlooking it. Can you post or email a direct link to that particular bulb?

Thanks again,

DKO
I bought the 3528s off of ebay. I installed them. I'd say that they have about 60 to 70% of the light output of the halogens. For most locations in the coach I think this will be fine. What I was most impressed with was the lack of heat, I put an IR thermometer on the halogens and after several minutes they were operating at 165 degrees F, the LEDs were at 77 about 5 degrees above ambient. This will certainly help manage temperature in the coach when running the ac, also it should be significantly less drain when running off the battery.
Old 10-09-2012, 04:20 PM   #28

Quote:

Thanks again,

DKO
Sorry for late response, missed the post.
Try this link, this is what I got
Wholesale Car Light G4 12 SMD LED Warm White 12SMD Light Bulb 12V, Free shipping, $1.79-2.04/Piece | DHgate

notice that the price is down as one would expect.