Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-01-2017, 11:27 AM   #1

Leisure Travel Van or equivalent opinions?

Since our travel circle is getting smaller, we are Looking at downsizing from our DS to a smaller coach. The 25' Leisure Travel by Tripple E on the Mercedes Sprinter 1 ton chassis has floated to the top of our research.
Any owners out there with opinions on these or suggestions for comparable coaches in this size category?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-04-2017, 04:02 PM   #2

I love the LTV product line too. Hope to own one some day. Comparables that I'd consider would include Coachhouse, Dynamax, Born Free, Phoenix Cruiser, Renegade and maybe Nexus.
Jeffcarp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 04:16 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis45 View Post
Since our travel circle is getting smaller, we are Looking at downsizing from our DS to a smaller coach. The 25' Leisure Travel by Tripple E on the Mercedes Sprinter 1 ton chassis has floated to the top of our research.
Any owners out there with opinions on these or suggestions for comparable coaches in this size category?
Is this a diesel Sprinter engine?
retire2play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 04:27 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by retire2play View Post
Is this a diesel Sprinter engine?
Yes.
http://www.leisurevans.com/
Old 03-04-2017, 04:39 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
Had a 2006 for 4 1/2years and 98,000 miles great rig. Spent 2 nights in motels during the travels.
Old 03-04-2017, 07:48 PM   #6
JCM

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Triple E Owners Club
I have owned 2 class a Triple E coaches. Never a problem with the coaches just - occasionally with the running gear.
We are thinking of downsizing from a 40 foot Empress to the model with the murphy bed.
Pick your running gear carefully nd pay attention to the amount of weight it can carry.
Old 03-05-2017, 10:26 AM   #7

Quote:
We were considering a Roadtrek Mercedes Sprinter diesel Class B until reading issues with the exhaust system. Many owners who experience problems are still covered under warranty but the real problems will come when the units are out of warranty and the owner will have to foot the bill.

I found this article very interesting about the owner or a company who bought many vans with Mercedes Sprinter diesel engines.

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/fatal...-tom-robertson
Old 03-05-2017, 12:14 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by retire2play View Post
We were considering a Roadtrek Mercedes Sprinter diesel Class B until reading issues with the exhaust system. Many owners who experience problems are still covered under warranty but the real problems will come when the units are out of warranty and the owner will have to foot the bill.

I found this article very interesting about the owner or a company who bought many vans with Mercedes Sprinter diesel engines.

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/fatal...-tom-robertson
Interesting article for sure. Not sure how this relates to an RV application where the average user might do 10-15K per year.
Thank you for this post, certainly worth considering.

Perhaps Mr. Trump's efforts to reduce some of the regulations the auto industry and others have had to work with in recent years will bring change for the benefit of the end user.
Old 03-06-2017, 07:43 AM   #9

Quote:
Interesting article for sure. Not sure how this relates to an RV application where the average user might do 10-15K per year.
Thank you for this post, certainly worth considering.

Perhaps Mr. Trump's efforts to reduce some of the regulations the auto industry and others have had to work with in recent years will bring change for the benefit of the end user.
I am on a Roadtrek forum and the diesel emissions problem is a known issue. It is throughout the industry and the devices are also installed on residential diesel and commercial pickup trucks. I think the law was passed in 2008 ??. Some people remove them from pickup trucks and sell the truck without this device since it can cause additional repair issues.

Another issue was finding a person to work on a Mercedes if you have issues while traveling. Most mechanics are not trained to work on them. Also, repair costs can be 2-3x more for a Mercedes.

Just do your research before you buy any rv. Good luck in what you buy!
Old 08-19-2017, 08:57 AM   #10

My experience also with a Mercedes. I am just about ready to purchase a Road Trek Zion from a local dealer with the Outback pkg. on a 3500 Dodge chassis. Any comments? Warnings! Just a little aside, I really checked out a dealer's reputation before deciding to buy. There are so many invisible snags to this process that it is VERY important to have a reputable dealer and to deal with one salesperson. I had an almost horror story. Lesson learned.
Orson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 10:35 AM   #11

Now the Ford Transit is in play using the 3.7L Powerstroke V6 diesel on the Winnebago Fuse. Anyone have experience with the Transit Diesel?
Old 10-23-2017, 06:20 PM   #12

Transit vs Sprinter

Maintenance cost has been higher but no where near double more like 15 to 20%.

Are you ever going to break even Deisel vs gas I doubt it.

There are more Ford dealers. Maintenance is always an issue, everyone believes they can just pull into a Ford dealer to have the Transit repaired, really? Do a a little research find out how many dealers have trained Diesel Transit mechanic.

Realize that both use similar emission systems, both require a computerized diagnostic tools. Both work best if driven at highway speeds. Or just go gas.

Ford has less useable gross weight capability.
Sprinter is marginally better.

For me it is more about the coach if I could find the right floor plan, comparable quality I could be talked into gas especially if only using it on weekend trips.

But we travel from Alaska to lower 48, all over the states. Next trip Florida to N E then back to S W (Page, Antelope canyons) Zion, Bryce, Eugene Oregon and any state or national park on our way home to Alaska, so far our plan two months 8000 miles. All in our third Sprinter, this one a Leisure Unity TB hard to beat.

It’s all personal choice enjoy what ever you buy.
Old 10-24-2017, 11:14 AM   #13

We looked long and hard at the LTV Unity MB but in the end decided our first RV would have to fit the budget a tad better.

But if you are looking for feedback from many owners I would seek out the Leisure Travel Vans Enthusiasts facebook page. It is a closed group but they quickly responded to my request to join.

Maybe it is the nature of a group of owners to speak about problems, and my Winnebago certainly has its share. But my general observation of viewing responses there over the past 9 months is a credible shift from the large amount of posts heaping praises on the brand to slightly higher amounts of complaint posts and nuisance/quality control comments. Just an observation.

But I still want one!
RenoCarolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 11:24 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by RenoCarolina View Post
We looked long and hard at the LTV Unity MB but in the end decided our first RV would have to fit the budget a tad better.

But if you are looking for feedback from many owners I would seek out the Leisure Travel Vans Enthusiasts facebook page. It is a closed group but they quickly responded to my request to join.

Maybe it is the nature of a group of owners to speak about problems, and my Winnebago certainly has its share. But my general observation of viewing responses there over the past 9 months is a credible shift from the large amount of posts heaping praises on the brand to slightly higher amounts of complaint posts and nuisance/quality control comments. Just an observation.

But I still want one!
Thank you for your comments. I still want one also,,,

I'm an old school person and not comfortable with Facebook but I found this forum that is directed to All Sprinter based chassis and the LTV Line.
Quite informative.

https://sprinter-source.com/forum/fo...play.php?f=193

Tags
travel