Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-13-2016, 04:58 PM   #71

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat320 View Post
I am continually amazed at the good folks that continue to use stuff like HC and think it really works. You don't use it at home, 'cause the toilet is vented...just like your RV! Re read #34.
Home toilets have a "water barrier", RV toilets don't, big difference.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-13-2016, 05:18 PM   #72

I am continually amazed at the folks that go out of their way to criticize folks for using chemicals just because they don't.
B Dubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 06:02 PM   #73

Quote:
I am continually amazed at the good folks that continue to use stuff like HC and think it really works. You don't use it at home, 'cause the toilet is vented...just like your RV! Re read #34.
The trap in the residential toilet is what eliminates sewer gases, not the vent. Your RV toilet does not have a trap in most cases. Not the same thing.
Jeffcarp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 06:09 PM   #74

I don't think anyone criticizes anyone else beyond pointing out that there is no need for some special sauce. We all pour some money down our pet rat holes some way. ;-)
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 06:11 PM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
I don't think anyone criticizes anyone else beyond pointing out that there is no need for some special sauce. We all pour some money down our pet rat holes some way. ;-)
But there is a need for strategies other than "just add water" for some use cases. I think what people are objecting to is the common tendency to assume that a person's specific use and circumstances in their own coach applies equally to everyone else.
Old 06-13-2016, 06:22 PM   #76

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogmum53 View Post
I have seen several posts where people suggest using dish soap or Calgon to clean the tanks. Our dealer told us to never do this because the soap bubbles will foam up and be hard to rinse. Now we are having issues with our tank sensors so I need to really clean the tanks. Has the soap method never caused you issues?
No, no problems.........I use Joy or Dawn that cuts grease.................I also use them out in my garage to wash my hands after working..........if really soiled, I use GoJo...........
Don't put so much in the tanks, that you form a "Bubble Bath" inside them
It does not take to much to clean and work.......and depends on how much water you have in the tanks........
Old 06-13-2016, 08:41 PM   #77

My 💩 don't stink because I use a lot of water. Well good for you. I'll continue using chemicals. It is not your money I'm spending.
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 09:35 PM   #78

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
So, as a newbie, I learned quickly as taught by four days in Vegas one week ago while 110 degrees outside. My black tank is 35 gallons. I had dumped it the day before Vegas and despite putting about 5 gallons of water in, when we returned to the bus after a planned break at the end of four days, I thought we had a decomposing transient stowed somewhere. It was pretty rough. Quickly filled my sink drains and washing machine trap just in case and proceeded to dump. From that point on, I used 10 gallons of water after the dump. started on 1/3 tank full, with chemicals. with the four of us, to achieve 25 more gallons of excrement in anything less than a week would be a bad burrito scenario.

Have not had the problem again.

Lesson learned:
1. Water in tank following dump is your friend. Plenty is good, more is better (within reason).
2. Chemical may or may not help. I have my doubts, but do not have the signed permission slip from the powers that be to try without yet.
3. Vegas heat is great for stressing many systems. Evaporation is greatly exaggerated there. Had we been in the bus, probably would not have been so bad.
Jpcoleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 08:55 PM   #79

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO Pilot View Post
Home toilets have a "water barrier", RV toilets don't, big difference.
If the water barrier in the bowl works, the roof vent for the toilet works (and is not blocked) and you do not run the bathroom roof vent while flushing, you will have no odors. If you have an odor, either a ''bathroom'' odor or a holding tank deodorizer odor, there is something wrong with your set up.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 09:01 AM   #80

Quote:
If the water barrier in the bowl works, the roof vent for the toilet works (and is not blocked) and you do not run the bathroom roof vent while flushing, you will have no odors. If you have an odor, either a ''bathroom'' odor or a holding tank deodorizer odor, there is something wrong with your set up.
The water barrier doesn't work BY DESIGN when you flush. It doesn't have to be constant odors that people object to. People may object to temporary odors WHILE flushing even if they dissipate after the flush. Time to give up the "there's something wrong with your system if you smell something" canard.
Old 06-16-2016, 02:41 PM   #81

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jalan View Post
The water barrier doesn't work BY DESIGN when you flush. It doesn't have to be constant odors that people object to. People may object to temporary odors WHILE flushing even if they dissipate after the flush. Time to give up the "there's something wrong with your system if you smell something" canard.
And to be honest. I think my black tank occasional gets heartburn and burbs... out of nowhere and not often... but dump, flush, Happy Camper, and it's gone. Doesn't happen very often, but it happens.

But I share your sentiment. I know for a fact everything is working properly. And I experienced this with the B-Van I had for 20+ years. Just this once in a while "belch" like a lake turning over...
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 02:44 PM   #82

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpcoleman View Post
So, as a newbie, I learned quickly as taught by four days in Vegas one week ago while 110 degrees outside. My black tank is 35 gallons. I had dumped it the day before Vegas and despite putting about 5 gallons of water in, when we returned to the bus after a planned break at the end of four days, I thought we had a decomposing transient stowed somewhere. It was pretty rough. Quickly filled my sink drains and washing machine trap just in case and proceeded to dump. From that point on, I used 10 gallons of water after the dump. started on 1/3 tank full, with chemicals. with the four of us, to achieve 25 more gallons of excrement in anything less than a week would be a bad burrito scenario.

Have not had the problem again.

Lesson learned:
1. Water in tank following dump is your friend. Plenty is good, more is better (within reason).
2. Chemical may or may not help. I have my doubts, but do not have the signed permission slip from the powers that be to try without yet.
3. Vegas heat is great for stressing many systems. Evaporation is greatly exaggerated there. Had we been in the bus, probably would not have been so bad.

In many cases people are smelling the grey tank, not the black. The grey tank can smell as bad or worse than the black. As you said, keep the p traps filled, many times that water is sloshed out while driving.
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tank