Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-11-2014, 03:14 PM   #1

Leveling Jacks in Sprinter Based RVs?

Sorry, not sure where to put this.
I am an RV wannabe, and seriously considering Sprinter based B+ etc.
Winnebago View and Via - no jacks, none allowed by warranty, correct?
Leisure Travel Unity and Renegade Villagio seem to offer (2 only) stabilizer jacks.

Questions, not ever having owned an RV -
is no stabilizers a deal breaker?
where are the 2 jacks on the above Sprinter based RVs?
How do they compare to traditional class A levelers?

Thanks

Travelling With Black Labrador Retriever
szn8tt is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-11-2014, 05:52 PM   #2

When I had a small Class C RV, Winnebago Rialta, I used boards to level it. Not too bad, just need to make room to store the boards. Having moved on, I find levelers to be a requirement so would be a stopper for me. I find it amazing that a $125,000+ Class A Winnebago Via does not come with levelers.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 08:54 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Some folks have levelers put on Sprinters right away. I know of one guy who had the Forest City Winnebago dealer have them installed before he picked up his new rig. HWH Leveling System, I think. It's not unusual.
SeeTheUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 03:26 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeTheUSA View Post
Some folks have levelers put on Sprinters right away. I know of one guy who had the Forest City Winnebago dealer have them installed before he picked up his new rig. HWH Leveling System, I think. It's not unusual.
It has been done on many occasions. However Mercedes Benz makes a point to say the chassis warranty is void if a leveling system is installed.

To me no leveling system would be a deal breaker. We rented several units before purchasing our first one. A couple of them didn't have leveling systems and were a pain to get level enough for sleeping and to keep the refrigerator within specs. It always seemed like we were rolling to one side or another. Occasionally we ended up with the foot of the bed higher than the head.

There were times when we fiddled around for what seemed like an hour trying to get all 4 corners level. It takes about 1 minute to level our motorhome with the hydraulic leveling system.
Old 02-12-2014, 04:18 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikerdogs View Post
It has been done on many occasions. However Mercedes Benz makes a point to say the chassis warranty is void if a leveling system is installed.
I have read this also.

Good info Hikerdog. I understand about the leveling being a pain, but I also wonder about general stability when inside walking around the unit. Without jacks, won't it be bouncy?

Travelling With Black Labrador Retriever
szn8tt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 04:55 PM   #6

Leveling jacks don't necessarily stabilize.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 06:19 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
I was a sailor for four years, then a railroader for more than thirty years . . . a little bit of pitch, roll and yaw makes me feel perfectly normal.

Seriously, a little bit of movement doesn't seem weird. As far as level, my iPhone app iWoMoSet helps me pick the "sweet spot" . . . or occasionally a few orange plastic blocks works fine.

For me, the extra weight taking away from CCC isn't worth it. Plus the system cost about $4k.
SeeTheUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 12:22 PM   #8
Commercial Member

hwh makes a set of leveling jacks for the sprinter chassis, that do not require any welding or drilling bolt holes. they bolt on. ive done a couple of sets, and they are not that hard to install. first time took about 8 hours, because of the learning curve. the second just under six hours. again, they just bolt on.
azpete is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jacks, leveling, leveling jacks, rvs