Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-07-2017, 06:08 AM   #1
DBH

Leveling Jacks: One of the four only retracts intermittently

Hi everyone,

I just joined iRV2.com and it's probably about time! My husband and I own a 2006 Gulfstream Super C named "Harvey the RV" and have been enjoying adventures--both on the road and in the repair shop--since 2012. We even spent our honeymoon doing a two-week RV road trip! (We're in our 30s and are usually the "youngsters" in the RV park. :P )

Our current issue is with the rear passenger side leveling jack. It suddenly decided to only retract intermittently. It'll retract about 20-30% of the way and just stop while all the others retract as normal. It's done this to us twice so far when packing up to head home at the end of a weekend out of town and each time we've had success (luck?) only when waiting a few minutes and coming back to it to see if it's in the mood to fully retract this time.

All the other three levelers are working perfectly and we can hear the hydraulic pump going each time we attempt to retract. We think it's a bad connection somewhere--since it's intermittent--but aren't sure where to start with diagnosing that particular issue. (Note: I'm not sure if the jacks are HWH or PowerGear.)

We live about 40 minutes from our RV storage place so camping weekends are also repair opportunities for us. We'll be camping over Easter weekend (April 14-16) and I have tentatively scheduled a mobile repair service to come out to the RV park in Port Aransas, TX where we'll be staying and take a look. I'd like to be able to tell them what to look for beforehand and maybe recommend they pre-order some parts to have on hand. Really, I'd like to fix the darn thing ourselves but we're not above paying someone else to do it. I just don't want the mobile repair person to come out, realize parts need to be ordered and he can't do anything that day, and then the weekend is over and we're left with the same issue and a bill for a mobile visit.

Any advice would be much appreciated!!
DBH is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-07-2017, 06:35 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
If it is HWH system with jacks extended, spray WD-40 on shafts and wipe them down good. Doing this on a regular basis will keep them working smoothly.
HWH system is retracted with springs and I believe it the end of the spring is more bullet shaped these are the heavier springs, Square ends are the lighter version. Some have swapped out these square springs to aid in the retraction.
The other possible issue is a bent jack but if yours are retracting just slower my guess is they just need cleaned with WD40.
If it is a powergear system the clenaing may help them also if they are the spring return type.
Spk64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 01:57 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spk64 View Post
If it is HWH system with jacks extended, spray WD-40 on shafts and wipe them down good. Doing this on a regular basis will keep them working smoothly.
HWH system is retracted with springs and I believe it the end of the spring is more bullet shaped these are the heavier springs, Square ends are the lighter version. Some have swapped out these square springs to aid in the retraction.
The other possible issue is a bent jack but if yours are retracting just slower my guess is they just need cleaned with WD40.
If it is a powergear system the clenaing may help them also if they are the spring return type.
I would agree with the general idea set forth in this reply but instead of WD-40 which can attract moisture and grime I would use a silicone spray lubricant. if that doesn't help you might have a weak spring or a slight bend in the jack tube.

I had the same issue on a previous MH (which turned out to be a slight bend in the jack shaft) and until I could get it fixed I carried a short piece of 2x4. when the jack stalled I would place one end of the 2x4 under the jack pad and leverage it up.
Old 04-07-2017, 02:46 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
Hmmm. HWH reccomends only using WD-40 to clean the shafts and not be left on there, spray it on clean and wipe it off. Once retracted they are sitting in a bath of hydraulic fluid.

The WD in WD-40 stands for Water Displacement and was orginally intended to do that.
Some facts and myths related to WD-40.
https://wd40.com/cool-stuff/myths-legends-fun-facts
Spk64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 03:11 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spk64 View Post
Hmmm. HWH reccomends only using WD-40 to clean the shafts and not be left on there, spray it on clean and wipe it off. Once retracted they are sitting in a bath of hydraulic fluid.

The WD in WD-40 stands for Water Displacement and was orginally intended to do that.
Some facts and myths related to WD-40
https://wd40.com/cool-stuff/myths-legends-fun-facts
I hear ya but when I spoke with HWH about my jack issue they recommended silicone lubricant for the reasons I gave. I still have the can in the garage. that didn't solve the problem, though. as I wrote I had to have the jack replaced due to a slight bend in the shaft. this was back about 10-yrs ago...maybe their recommendations have changed?
Old 04-07-2017, 07:51 PM   #6

Did you notice any discoloration on the ground around the jack base? I did and it was later determined to be hydraulic fluid. Had to pry up the jack in order to move the coach. Took the coach to the repair shop. Entire jack cylinder needs to be replaced. Nope, a seal kit won't do. Of course, now the lines have to be bled. Been there over one week while the shop tech tries to communicate with HWH. I hope your situation is different and you just need some lube on the cylinder.
Sandy Swede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 12:14 PM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
Your idea of getting an idea of what parts MIGHT be needed is commendable but ..... keep in mind that unless the mobile repair person has a large business he/she likely will not have parts available and there is a shipping fee and often a restocking fee if they return unused parts.

Understand that this will likely be 2 trip repair. No one likes to bite the repair bullet but unless you can diagnose, remove and replace yourself, you are at the mercy of the repair tech.

Good luck.

LSC9901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 06:35 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Had this problem several years ago, as in 7 or 8 yrs ago. Tried the recommended wd40 or silicon spray. It worked short term. Switched to spraying on transmission fluid and bingo, it works great for me. I use a rubber glove and spread the fluid around the entire ram. It works for many retractions. When I notice the retraction slowing down I give it another treatment. Occasionally I use a white reg to wipe off the ram prior to reapplying the trans fluid but have not noticed much of any dirt on the rag. Working good for the last 7 yrs.
Brigadoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 10:08 AM   #9
Commercial Member

hwh does not recommend silicon spray. we only recommend wd40. its been that way for years. if an hwh employee told you that, he was wrong.
when you have a jack that is slow retracting, using a lube like trans fluid will help,and delay the eventual needed repair. the final fix is to have the jack repaired
azpete is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jacks, leveling, leveling jacks