Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-23-2011, 12:03 PM   #1

Leveling system

I have a 1998 Diesel Pusher Coachman Santara Motor home(Frightliner). I used the rear jacks and then pushed the store button and 1 jack (LR) would not come up. When I try now to put any of the jacks down, you hear the motor run, but it sounds like the fluid is returning back to the tank. None of the jacks will go down now. I broke the line lose for the jack that wouldnt come up all the way and used a floor jack to jack it up. Anyone run into this?? Like I said sounds like the store valve is still ingaged or something is letting fluid bypass/or not go out to the jacks? I am lost
Thanks in advance
00 DEAD ON is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-23-2011, 01:16 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Brian M,
What brand of jacks do you have?
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 05:42 PM   #3
paz

If you have HWH jacks, there should be a screw on the back of the solenoid that will allow the jack to return manually without having to make a mess disconnecting a hose.

One possible problem with a jack that will not go up is a burned out solenoid. If the jack goes up slowly or if you cay pry with a 2 X 4 to speed it up (without opening the relief screw or disconnecting a hose), then it is probably something other than the solenoid.

If the pump is running but the jacks won't go down, then the problem could be the shuttle valve.

If your jacks are HWH, there are troubleshooting manuals on their web site. You can also call HWH - they are very helpful.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 04:41 AM   #4

The jacks are HWH 310. Sorry, was busy last night to return with a reply. I saw in my manual the T handle to retract the leg. My slide works fine, just the jacks dont go down, does sound like fluid is by-passing or something. Can I get to the shuttle valve?
Old 05-24-2011, 07:54 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Brian M,
I can help with the not retracting. With the not going down problem, consider contacting HWH. They are very good at helping customers.

Check the jack springs. If the last five twists of the coil are straight to the hook the springs need to be replaced. If the last 5 coils are tapered into the hook, the springs should be okay.

If a jack will not retract, while the system is retract mode (not timed out) open the valve ("T" handle) for that jack. If the jack retracts, the valve is guilty. If the jack does not retract the jack is guilty. If the jack is guilty, the problem will not go away, it will only get worse. There is a very large seal inside the jack. Over time, the seal constricts onto the cylinder. This means the springs will not be powerful enough to retract the jack.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 07:38 PM   #6
paz

HERE is a link to the 310 repair manual on the HWH web site. It shows the location of the components and gives troubleshooting steps.

If you're unsure, call HWH and they will walk you through the troubleshooting. Unless you are familiar with how the systems work, it is probably best to get their advice before ordering parts.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 05:32 AM   #7

Thanks, I called and talked to them yesterday. They also think its the shuttle valve. So I ordered one. Should be here next tuesday. I will reply with the results. Thanks everyone. Got to love this site. Have a great weekend
Brian