Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-12-2005, 01:21 AM   #1

Jan, a friend from Belgium whom I met through the forums, has posted this question on another forum.

Quote:
Can somebody tell me what the life expectation is for "well maintained" gas RV engines like Ford, Workhorse, etc....

Also for a Ford F150 5.4 litre under heavy load... towing a 8000 lbs Trailer or 5th wheel...

What would be the expected fuel consumption?

Thanks for taking the time
The general impression I get from reading the forums is that, by the time a Gas RV has 75Kmiles on the clock, it is just about ready for the Knackers yard.

However, I did read recently that the latest engines should last for 200K miles (if well maintained).

Jan is looking at this from the position of a 5th Wheel owner, me a 30-34ft Class A owner.

Camlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-12-2005, 01:21 AM   #2

Jan, a friend from Belgium whom I met through the forums, has posted this question on another forum.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">
Can somebody tell me what the life expectation is for "well maintained" gas RV engines like Ford, Workhorse, etc....

Also for a Ford F150 5.4 litre under heavy load... towing a 8000 lbs Trailer or 5th wheel...

What would be the expected fuel consumption?

Thanks for taking the time
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The general impression I get from reading the forums is that, by the time a Gas RV has 75Kmiles on the clock, it is just about ready for the Knackers yard.

However, I did read recently that the latest engines should last for 200K miles (if well maintained).

Jan is looking at this from the position of a 5th Wheel owner, me a 30-34ft Class A owner.

Camlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 09:30 AM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Workhorse & Vortec

Take what's said here with a grain of salt. It's not an objective source. I can say that mine has been OK for 3K miles
wilanddij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 09:40 AM   #4

I have a 1998 Ford E-350 Super Duty V-10. I already have 139,000 miles on it and use no oil between 5,000 mile oil changes. I think it will easily last past 200,000 miles. I believe the secret is high usage - it does not sit awaiting use.

Gus Weber
Gus Weber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 09:45 AM   #5

Hi Cam:

I tow an 8600 pds fiver with a 5.3 litre Chevy Silverado 3/4 ton. Been at it for five years and 190,000 K's and have had no problems whatever. I have used sythetics since day one but I double up on the computer's oil change request.

I've had no engine, trany or differential repairs and still on original brakes. The only repairs I had was replacing the exhaust system "Y" Pipe last fall.

Hope this may be the type of info you were seeking. Cheers:

Bob

PS: OOOOPs! just saw the bit about mileage! On average, we get 9 MPG Imperial, towing, 18 when light.

2006 32' Sunny Brook
rehcuobbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 04:42 AM   #6

IMHO there are way too many variables regarding driving habits, terrain, maintenance, etc. to say for sure how long anything mechanical will last. The best you can do is follow the manufacturers guidelines for maintaining each item for your specific need/use.

We have the W-22 chassis with the 8.1 and average 8 mpg +/-.

2004 Newmar Kountry Star 3560
RobAndTeresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 05:12 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
It really depends on the persons driving habits and how well he maintains things. My father-in-law has put 120K miles on several 'Burbs (3/4 ton 2500) with the 7.4L (454) and had 80K on his current 5.7L towing a 32' Silver Stream trailer. His vehicles are maintained and never pushed al that hard.

In gas MoHo's you see folks with 100K miles and no problems and then you see the ones with a new engine before 50K miles. Several of the ones I had talked with about "early" engine/tranny failures really abuse the poor beast. Usually run 75 MPH plus on the road, climb hills with the accelerator on the floor and then don't get engine/tranny service at the recommended extreme duty service intrvals.

In short, you cannot ignore an RV driveline and abuse it and expect it to last.

We get 15 to 16 mpg solo (65 to 70 MPH) with our truck and 10 to 11 mpg at the sme speed. We are right at 20,000# GCW.

Good luck, all,

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 07:15 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
About gasoline engine longevity, no other RV gas chassis producer has placed in print engine life expectancy. Workhorse has told us that the engine they use has a life expectancy of 200,000 miles.

This life expectancy is possible by pursuing the recommended maintenance schedule intervals using only fossil based oils. The longevity has been tested by General Motors and I can see no reason why this wouldn't be possible.

On the other hand it is quite routine to see diesel engines exceed 400,000 to 500,000 miles without a major over haul.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 11:44 AM   #9

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gus Weber:
I have a 1998 Ford E-350 Super Duty V-10. I already have 139,000 miles on it and use no oil between 5,000 mile oil changes. I think it will easily last past 200,000 miles. I believe the secret is high usage - it does not sit awaiting use. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
The word I hear from the Ford Truck forums, is that the V-10 has been designed with a 450,000 mile expectancy. A lot of them are well over the 200,000 mile mark without showing any signs of wear.
Stan Birch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 08:57 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Stan Birch:
The word I hear from the Ford Truck forums, is that the V-10 has been designed with a 450,000 mile expectancy. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Question is would Ford be willing to put that in print?
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote