Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-20-2010, 04:52 PM   #1

Forest River Owners Club
Lift pump leak

Our lift pump finally started leaking recently … I noticed some drips on the driveway when we left our son’s home the day after Christmas. Took it to Cummins Mid-South in Montgomery AL today … apx 4 hr labor, lift/transfer pump $325.97, labor $334.80, tax $32.60 = total $693.37
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-22-2010, 07:49 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
OUCH! Paul...sorry for your 'loss'. Guess that's why they call 'em lift/transfer pumps...they'll 'lift' and 'transfer' a good portion of funds from one vessel (your wallet) to fill theirs! Glad you got 'er fixed though. Bob
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 08:51 AM   #3

That surely seems like a lot of labor time for that job. Unless there is poor access to the top of your engine I think the labor is at least twice what it should be. I have looked at my lift pump on my ISB and I could definitely do the job myself. I have a bed that lifts up and my access is as good as it gets. On a diesel chassis you have to hope that repairs happen only every several years and that you don't get into the major ones. Diesel chassis have very long lives but if repairs are needed they can be very expensive.
Cummins 6.7 ISB, Allison 2100 6 Speed
J Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 04:55 PM   #4

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Unless there is poor access to the top of your engine I think the labor is at least twice what it should be.
They gave me the cost estimate up front, and stayed with it, but yes, access is not good. I emptied the across-the-rear closet ahead of time and told the tech there was access there under the floor, and mentioned where was also a small access panel under the bed that I had never had opened. Our bed (on the slide) was originally fastened down ... no normal storage area there ... but I removed the screws to fix a slide ram problem and left them out.

After the repair, I asked the young tech how difficult it was. He told me it was pretty difficult because of the very narrow access area. He said, "There isn't any access under the closet ...only a filter. I had to do it from under the bed." I told him, "Yes, there is a filter under one end of the closet, but the rest of the floor comes up and there is a long access area there." When I got it back I checked the closet and the longer piece of floor was not all the way in place, so either he checked it after I told him it did indeed come up, or someone else had it up somewhere along the way! (There were two techs involved at the beginning, but I didn't keep track of them after getting them oriented.) Frankly, I am amazed he was able to do the job through the narrow access hole under the bed!
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 05:18 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Carolina Campers
I had to have the Lift Pump replaced on our Cummins also. The Teck said that the new type fuel does not like some of the older Pumps.
It also cost us in the low $600.00 It was very hard for the Teck change it on our Motor Home, They also pressured washed the side of the engine to get all of the fuel off.
Jim
jimandsandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 11:18 AM   #6

It sounds like they earned their money. Shops have book values for jobs and they may or may not vary for more difficult access. My easier access could well cost the same as some more difficult accesses. Once they look a cost up in their book that seems to be the end of the negotiations.
Cummins 6.7 ISB, Allison 2100 6 Speed
J Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 02:51 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Seems a bit high on the labor, but if access is a factor, maybe not that bad. I did mine this past summer and between the access through the closet and crawling around underneath, took about 1@1/2 hours to get it out, and 1/2 to get it back in. Dynasty 42' with ISL 400. I'm an ex heavy duty mechanic so that may have helped. Mine didn't leak, it just quit. Glad you got it back operational.
mhgypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 08:20 PM   #8

Paul: I don't want to steal the thread but here's an idea. I have the 40K model but I believe my bedroom slide is the same as yours. I removed screws from our bed and had an HVAC guy build a large metal storage bin that I mounted under the bed in the left side (rear) area. I moved some electrical boxes to make room for the bin. The bin was made from 16 gauge galvanized metal about 20 inches by 40 inches by 10 inches. It was heavy and 20 gauge most likely would have been fine. I then trimmed and finished both sides with aluminum trim and thin plywood. I also installed gas filled lifts to assist in lifting the bed. More room to store junk!!