Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-08-2017, 10:41 AM   #1

Lifting the front end

I have a 1994 Allegro 28' MH, it sets rather low in the front, has not been a problem but even with the fresh water tank filled (way in back) it still sets low in the front. From earlier pics from the original owner you can see it sat more level even though not completely level. It has the p-30 MH chasis with a 454 engine. Drives quite nicely and rides well it just looks a little weird because the front sets 3" lower than the rear when empty and a good 2+ when full. Weight on both axles is lower than max. It was suggested that new front springs to replace the older ones might help raise the front, with A arms would this really raise the front? Hoping someone else has had some experience with this before I drop the money for new springs or just leave it alone. Thanks in advance for any recommendations on this. It does have air bags in front but they don't raise the front when inflated so I know that is not the answer.
airshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-08-2017, 10:50 AM   #2

If you're not getting tire wear from the sagged front springs , it might just be better to leave things as they are.
You never know what's going to rear it's ugly head , in the way of rusted bolts, and other parts that could leave you having to re-build ( replace) the whole front suspension , once you start.
Old 09-08-2017, 11:00 AM   #3

Do some research to find the ride height when new and compare it to now. Also check original tire size. You never know.

If it's sitting lower than when new, new coil springs will most likely bring it up two original height.

I'm most cases, the shock will need to be pulled and lower ball joint will need to be knocked out, to let the spring out. Not something for a novice to tackle but not a bad job of a pro.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 11:11 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
We had a Brave gasser, went low in the front. Shock brackets welds had broken. Got those fixed and added new Bilstein shocks. Fixed the problem, and improved the ride and handling
Old 09-08-2017, 02:25 PM   #5

Do you have the stock air bags in the front springs? If so air them up. I run loaded 80# in mine.
jcgribks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 03:52 PM   #6

Had a P30 MH but the manual gave a ride ht measurement to check.
Mine had a leak and replaced the air bags / springs...major improvement in ride / handling.
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 05:35 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Used to have a 1995 coach on P30 chassis. It had airbags in the front springs. Ran 60-80 psi in them. Got air bags? If not, supposed to have air bags? If yes, are they holding air? If not holding, replace them.

They do make higher rate springs that can replace the stock springs/air bags.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 06:58 PM   #8

I got a 93 Allegro Bay 32' that was low on the front end. Tried replacing just the air bags , and even with 95 psi of air in them , the front end was still low. Installed these springs ( 350-6560SDM Heavy Duty Coil Springs ) . Raised the front end up 2 " . Also reinstalled the air bags to level the coach from side to side. The coach rides and handles much better.
The springs have to be removed to install the air bags. The new springs say no air bags are needed , but I had to reinstall the air bags. Took me an afternoon to replace both sides. Remove swaybar , lower shock mount bolt and ball joint.
Old 09-09-2017, 09:46 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGBPokes View Post
We had a Brave gasser, went low in the front. Shock brackets welds had broken. Got those fixed and added new Bilstein shocks. Fixed the problem, and improved the ride and handling
Just had new steering tires installed and gave it a good look over while wheels were off. Shocks have only 5000 miles on them and the rest looks real good, but of course one never knows until you take things apart.
Old 09-09-2017, 09:49 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcgribks View Post
Do you have the stock air bags in the front springs? If so air them up. I run loaded 80# in mine.
They leak and that is what started me thinking. Don't know if it came that way or not. I did get a receipt for air bags all the way around but that was from 11 years back. I was told that airbags would not raise the front end only cushion the spring and improve the ride. Actually mine rides quite nicely so we think..
Old 09-09-2017, 09:52 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soppy View Post
I got a 93 Allegro Bay 32' that was low on the front end. Tried replacing just the air bags , and even with 95 psi of air in them , the front end was still low. Installed these springs ( 350-6560SDM Heavy Duty Coil Springs ) . Raised the front end up 2 " . Also reinstalled the air bags to level the coach from side to side. The coach rides and handles much better.
The springs have to be removed to install the air bags. The new springs say no air bags are needed , but I had to reinstall the air bags. Took me an afternoon to replace both sides. Remove swaybar , lower shock mount bolt and ball joint.
Thanks, I was looking for someone that has actually done this and knows for a fact that the front end actually came up! I am not having any issues with the handling of the coach, just looks a little out of level, so trying to determine whether spending 1500 bucks is going to be worth it!!
Old 09-09-2017, 09:55 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
Used to have a 1995 coach on P30 chassis. It had airbags in the front springs. Ran 60-80 psi in them. Got air bags? If not, supposed to have air bags? If yes, are they holding air? If not holding, replace them.

They do make higher rate springs that can replace the stock springs/air bags.
Thanks for the reply, my current air bags leak (11 yrs old) so I am questioning whether to replace them or not. having no issues with the driving of the coach, just looks low in front...when you inflated the airbags did it actually raise the front of the motorhome? Heard many stories but nothing confirming about this.
Old 09-10-2017, 06:43 AM   #13

As I recall, on my ole 28 ft Allegro, the coil springs were tired(worn) and I special-ordered higher spring-rate springs (HD). It was a good time to replace the airbags also. Later, I installed a stiffer anti-roll bar to improve sway control.
Cloud Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 09:55 AM   #14
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Your coach came with the airbags as part of the front suspension. They need to be inflated to about 75-80 psi. If yours leak, you need to repair them.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote