Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-11-2017, 11:20 AM   #1

Lippert Power Gear Slim Track slideout?

Does anybody here have any experience with this slideout? Our new coach has this, but I haven't seen much about it. I've downloaded the manuals, but would like to hear from some owners. Thanks!
RDJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-11-2017, 02:10 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club

Thanks for joining us! I have two different versions of the Schwintek slides but am not familiar with the term 'slim track.' Tell us please do you have the fixed track that is 'tight' to the side of the slide - or the loose track that 'floats' on the side of the slide? What specific questions do you have?
Old 03-11-2017, 06:05 PM   #3

Actually, we don't pick up the coach for another month, so this is all sight unseen, other than the photos of the actual unit. The rack gear is free floating, attached only at the ends, and is about 3/4" square. I went and looked at another unit nearby that has this system, but haven't seen it in operation.

I'm just looking for any real world experience anybody has with this particular system.
Old 03-11-2017, 06:09 PM   #4

I wouldn't buy any RV before checking out all components. It will be too late after you pick it up.
Same with heart surgeons, I don't go under the knife before I check the surgeon out.
Helps prevent after sale regrets.
09 harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 08:30 AM   #5

Have this same system in our 2016 Winnebago Vista LX 27N. Installed on our dining slide and the full wall Passenger slide. Passenger side failed at Tampa RV Show and took a month to have it replaced at Camping World. Dining slide has now started jumping and grinding just like the other. Scheduled to be repaired at factory in Forest City, Iowa on April 5th. Also having them check Camping World's work since they had problems doing the repair. This on a coach only 8 months after purchase and 7,500 miles.
Old 03-12-2017, 11:16 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Recommend you review the many, many posts on Schwintek slides. Experiences range from no problems to endless problems. Good idea to carefully have the techs explain how to operate and care for the slides, motors and tracks, e.g., lube or not, hold switch till motors 'click' and end of travel. Also helps to understand the slide extension / retraction sequence. Should the rig be level - or not - before extending / retracting.

In my experience: the fixed track system works great on our small bedroom slide. It failed on a large kitchen slide. The kitchen slide system was replaced with the floating rail system and different motors and we are pleased with the operation.
Old 03-12-2017, 11:34 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDJeff View Post
Does anybody here have any experience with this slideout? Our new coach has this, but I haven't seen much about it. I've downloaded the manuals, but would like to hear from some owners. Thanks!
The slim track or floating track is the replacement for the track that was attached to the wall of the slide. I have a early 2015 model and it has the track attached to the side of the slide while later 2015 models have the update floating track. From what I understand the issue has to do with the tolerances of the track. The floating track allows for a little slide movement while the track mounted on the slide it had to be almost perfect. Already had a failure of my large drivers side slide and they repaired it with the same track and I am told that any future failures they are replacing the tracks with the floating type.
Member FMCA F421963, GS Life, SKP#127220, WIT, PA,
Robmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 04:18 PM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
I don't get it. Winnebago, and others, have had nothing but heart aches with the side track system.

I wouldn't touch any coach with this slide out system. The "older" rack and pinion systems a much more reliable.

Fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 08:36 PM   #9

Floating Powergear track is what just failed on mine. Full wall slide on our 8 month old 2016 Winnebago Vista 27LX. We are scheduled to have the floating track replaced on our dining slide when we return to the factory on April 5th. Both slides started jumping, jerking , and banging like the motors are loose. Camping World only replaced the front motors and not the back. It worked the one time when I picked it up but afraid to press my luck. I feel the new floating track has not solved the problem and will ask for extension of my warranty or I will look for a better quality system by a different manufacturer. Everyone talks about how repairs have been taken care of but what about the high cost of travel and downtime to get these repairs. Lost our coach for 3 months so far while the sun is out in Florida.
Old 03-13-2017, 03:16 PM   #10

Thanks for all the feedback everyone. I do need to ask about the circumstances of your failures. Was the coach off-level, or was it sitting up on levelers? Was the slide heavily loaded with items? Did you get any warning signs that something was amiss before it failed? I'm just trying to determine if there are things that can be done to prevent problems with the system.

BTW, we only put a deposit down on the unit, and won't be paying and signing until the PDI is done to our satisfaction.
Old 03-13-2017, 05:54 PM   #11

Coach always auto leveled before operating slides. Engine running for max voltage and never stopped travel once started. Slides started making snapping and popping noises while traveling in and out. Small dining slide with the floating rail Powergear is now cracking and jumping. Last time I brought it in one side was behind the other by over an inch. Always hold the switch for 5 seconds when travel complete. Both Powergear slides have problems while the closet Schwintech slide has been flawless so far.
Old 03-14-2017, 09:25 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We always leveled before extension / retraction and used recommended cleaning and lube process. Our indication of problems was the forward edge of the slide deploying a few inches while driving.

Best I can surmise from many sources is that the original Schwintek system was not designed for the loads. Our new system with higher ratio motors and the floating rails works great.
Old 03-14-2017, 10:24 AM   #13

It's been posted here on the forum with pictures what the problem has been with the new power gear drives. The pictures showed cracked housing's that held the motors and pinion gears in place against the gear rack. These cracked housings allowed enough slack for the gears to start jumping teeth while operating.
My opinion would be that the housings just aren't strong enough to hold the maximum torque of the jammed motors as the slides hit their total extend or closed position and the current spikes to shut the circuit off.
Too bad the companies won't function test these products under real world conditions rather than just putting the product out there and letting the consumer go through the grief of having the product fail and having their nonfunctioning slides/coaches tied up for months waiting for repairs.
Old 07-26-2017, 07:25 PM   #14

I can't say that I have much experience in the slim track system. Today I just sat in on a training class on this system. Last week I fixed one blindly I might add.
What I got from the class is the simplicity of the slim track system is a plus all the way around. If installed correctly it seems relatively simple to repair out in the field by the average do it your -er.
Despick is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lippert, power, power gear, slide, slideout