Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-08-2015, 11:10 PM   #1

Locating frozen lines

Hello everyone the other day I put out a post it seems my water pump and or waterlines have frozen. I did winterize with the pink and I am just using The freshwater tank to flush the bathroom I guess I did not put enough of the pink in when refilling the water I am trying to locate where the lines may be frozen my freshwater tank is located under my bed and so is the water pump and lines. I applied heat for a few hours in the unit and it seem to do nothing I even put a heater in the bathroom any idea how I could locate where it is frozen. I have a class C .Thank you
on2thenext is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-08-2015, 11:49 PM   #2

If you are able, go to the local airport and see if you can park in a heated hangar for the day. That would thaw things out.
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 01:33 AM   #3

That would be a great idea but I don't think any airport would let me pull in a 30 ft Rv with all the security problems that we're having
Old 01-09-2015, 02:04 AM   #4

Okay black tank is definitely frozen tried to dump it not a drop came out after applying heat to the water pump tomorrow I will try to apply heat to the black tank as well
Old 01-09-2015, 03:45 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Water line freeze

Was able to get my hot water line thawed by running the engine. Warmed it up good, then drove about 10 miles. Fortunately, holding tanks did not freeze at that time. This a.m., is a different story. Engine heater on. Unfortunately, can only get the pump to pass gas. Had to turn off hot water heater and drain it as I have no water flow to it. Not fun at 04:30 in 20 degree wx.
jacrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 04:44 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Most class "C's" are not insulated as well as the A class but they both need the furnace running to provide heat to tanks and plumbing because of the situation your now in.
Class C tank drain lines are exposed under some older coach's to add to misery.
A dealers garage heat will thaw out your coach and hope you have no cracked pipes or fittings to deal with.
Your plumbing may not be seen because its in the insulated floor if coach has one plumbing in the water bay will be exposed where you can put a electric heart to thaw out plumbing if that's where the freeze up is.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 06:10 AM   #7

Try opening all cabinet doors turn furnace to max and put space heaters in bays especially the water bay which has the most exposed pipes.
Old 01-09-2015, 06:11 AM   #8

The black tank can be thawed using a heat lamp shining on the valve and piping. If it's breezy you will need to rig up a tarp to prevent the moving air from negating the heat.

The only way you're going to thaw the water lines and pump is to expose as much of it as possible from the inside, open dinette benches if that where the pump is, open cupboard and vanity doors to let air in there also, then crank up the heat inside. The hotter the better. A couple of fans to blow the air into cupboards, etc., will help too.

Once the unit is winterized, you cannot add ANY water or use the water system with anything except more pink stuff.

If you have to use the toilet, the only safe way to do so is the flush it by using pink stuff (you can dilute it 50 / 50) from a jug.
Old 01-09-2015, 07:36 AM   #9

Many smaller airports do not have the restrictions that the "airline
airports do and many of the FBOs (airport businesses) may be willing to help if asked.
Go to AirNav and find airports all around you It will list the operators at each with phone numbers Might be worth a few phone calls
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 08:04 AM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
Location: Staying at KOA Salome AZ. Thru The Summer, & Loving It..
Send a message via AIM to Bilgerat
I agree with Cliffy, a small municipal airport should not freak out, most small airports have someone available for folks arriving/departing. Also a city or county fire house may allow a visit. Ask to see the Fire Captain, Bays are heated. Understand the thaw still may take hours.
NOTE: If they do allow you shelter for your rig. Find a grocery store and pick up a couple of gallons of ice cream, and "Clean Any Mess You May Make".

Oh My I Wish You All The Luck! Please post how things turned out..
Old 01-09-2015, 02:42 PM   #11

Hello again after several hours of heat my water pump started pumping I drained a lot of water out of my freshwater tank and added a lot more pink anti-freeze. My black water tank is still frozen I tried for several hours with a drop light 100 W bulb but it did nothing. tomorrow I will put my big Buddy heater on it like I did the water pump. thank you all for your help.
Old 01-09-2015, 02:55 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by on2thenext View Post
Hello everyone the other day I put out a post it seems my water pump and or waterlines have frozen. I did winterize with the pink and I am just using The freshwater tank to flush the bathroom I guess I did not put enough of the pink in when refilling the water I am trying to locate where the lines may be frozen my freshwater tank is located under my bed and so is the water pump and lines. I applied heat for a few hours in the unit and it seem to do nothing I even put a heater in the bathroom any idea how I could locate where it is frozen. I have a class C .Thank you
on2thenext
If you have ANY WATER "in the tank", "in the pump" and "in the water lines" so you can flush the toilet your coach is definitely NOT WINTERIZED!
Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 03:09 PM   #13

The unit was winterized pink anti-freeze was drawn through all of the lines shower sink bathroom freshwater was left in the freshwater tank with pink for flushing The bathroom when in use
Old 01-09-2015, 03:23 PM   #14

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by on2thenext View Post
The unit was winterized pink anti-freeze was drawn through all of the lines shower sink bathroom freshwater was left in the freshwater tank with pink for flushing The bathroom when in use
Then, as Mel said, you did NOT have the rig winterized! The pink anti freeze is used straight out of the bottle and not diluted at all. You can't use the water system at all once it's winterized correctly.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cat