Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-20-2017, 02:25 AM   #1

Locking the RV

Hey, I was thinking about getting a smart lock for my RV. A couple of months back, I installed two hidden cameras inside which monitors the live feed to my smartphone. Works fine to date and nobody tried to break into the vehicle. Expecting the worst case scenario (getting RV-jacked), should I hire an expert locksmith to recommend me a smart lock?
alex_mercer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-20-2017, 03:32 AM   #2

If someone wants to get into your rig when locked and your away, their going to get in, probably via a window.
Many posts about owners either locking themselves out or being locked in because of a broken lock or broken key in lock. They had to litterally cut and drill the standard keyed lock out. Have not read of anyone simply prying the lock open.
I did try a keyless entry lock from another manufacturer several weeks ago when they had a holiday sale. It would not fit my application, even though it was supposed to fit 95% of rigs. Only wanted to get it as it would be convienent not to carry keys. Returned it and got a refund.
If you/family are inside your rig and both locks (door and deadbolt) are used, I doubt if anyone is going to "rv jack" you. If you don't mind using keys, the standard lock should be just fine.
Grumpy
grumpy0374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 04:25 AM   #3

There is a plethora of GPS tracking devices you can hide in your RV and track with your smartphone.
Acheron2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 09:56 AM   #4
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Alex! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

I agree with Archeron! I would also put a really LOUD door alarm inside. That itself will discourage most burglars! Keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!

Merry Christmas!
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 03:56 AM   #5

A door alarm sounds like a great idea but I'm still looking around for a locksmith agency. The feeling I can relate to is when you leave home to go on a road-trip and you try to remember whether you locked the door or not and that gives you a mini heart attack.

I like the GPS tracker idea but I think the burglars would be smart enough to disable all security inside the RV provided they are capable of carjacking it in the first place.

The main thing is I can be so damn forgetful at times. A few months back, had to attend a funeral in the morning, came back home and the keys were still on the door.
Old 12-21-2017, 12:00 PM   #6

Just curious - how big is your rig that you need "a couple of cameras"? And where do you live/store your rig that this is a problem??? And what power source does this use?

Remember too that security with the typical 'internet of things' camera system is pretty low, so people could be watching you when you are in the rig getting frisky with your travel partner(s) our counting your gold doubloons, or something.
Old 12-21-2017, 03:38 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I guess it could happen, but has anyone actually heard of anyone gettin "RV-Jacked"? Sure, the occasional RV theft occurs, but it's not common. A GPS tracking device could work, but still seems like overkill for the actual risk.

As for someone burglarizing your rig; if they want what you have inside, no lock is going to stop them, but instead will just increase the amount of damage they do while getting in. Interior cameras? May make you feel better, but will likely not be of sufficient quality to actually find the perp, and by the time you show up or get the police to show up, they will be gone. Just my opinion.
4x4van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 03:57 PM   #8

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
My rig came with remote door locks on everything but the engine and fuel doors. Opening any doors but the fuel sets the alarm off when set, even if you're inside and open the entryway door.
Nice to have, but don't forget to turn it off before exiting. I also have the standard deadbolt. Plus I have a set of door keys hidden outside.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 05:01 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
RVs don't have a lot of security by design. A storage yard we used to have ours at had a number of RVs broken into. In each case, a simple battery powered drill got them in within moments. Many of these were high end diesel pushers. My inexpensive class c was untouched. This was in a lot with several cameras, metal tall fence, owner living on site, and razor wire. They found an area off the cameras and cut their way in. Our new storage yard has better security measures. This is in a town with very little crime. I think your camera idea is good for finding a thief afterwards, but not necessarily a deterrent. I have them at my home and find them useful for knowing when packages arrive and if I don't remember if I have closed the garage door.
Old 12-21-2017, 05:41 PM   #10

I don’t worry much about someone steeling my RV. I’m more concerned about someone breaking in and steeling my belongings. I always lock my door. I have keyless entry but still carry my key on my keychain. You never know when the batteries go dead or the remote sync goes wack. On my toad I have Lowjack. Just wonder if they have Lowjack for RVs?
TXTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 06:04 PM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
On a different thread, there has been some discussion of this: https://rv-command.com/ as a method of monitoring. I believe that it can be connected to some sort of intrusion detection (motion, glass-breakage, door ajar, etc.)

That system includes GPS location monitoring and reporting. Installed unobtrusively, it's likely someone who decided to move your RV without your permission would not be aware that its location was being reported.

One entry technique I've heard of is to access the roof of your RV, remove one of the roof vents (Fantastic Fan), break out the fan and drop the little guy through to open the door from inside. From all appearances to a roving security guard from the ground, your RV looks like no intrusion has occurred.

Take care,
Stu
Old 12-21-2017, 10:19 PM   #12

Thanks for the suggestions, guys!
Old 12-22-2017, 01:53 PM   #13
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
I'm on the opposite side of this as I never lock my rig in storage except if we are loaded the night before we leave. As has been posted nothing will keep a thief out if they want in, and twenty five years in law enforcement has proved this. Some friends had their new coach broken into and the thieves only stole the TV remotes since they couldn't figure out how to unmount the TVs. However, they did over $15,000 in damages to the driver's and entry doors getting in. I would rather lose tools and TVs than deal with damaged entry and compartment doors.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 11:30 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Dan View Post
I'm on the opposite side of this as I never lock my rig in storage except if we are loaded the night before we leave. As has been posted nothing will keep a thief out if they want in, and twenty five years in law enforcement has proved this. Some friends had their new coach broken into and the thieves only stole the TV remotes since they couldn't figure out how to unmount the TVs. However, they did over $15,000 in damages to the driver's and entry doors getting in. I would rather lose tools and TVs than deal with damaged entry and compartment doors.
I wonder what they're doing with the TV remotes now

But still, it's depressing when something new is damaged :/