Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-16-2021, 09:46 AM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I also have pages for...
Stops along the way
Arrival Checklist
Capacities tanks and electric
Chassis specs
Daily trip log
Departure check list
Engine specs
Genset spec
Maintenance records
My campground ratings
Unit info
Job Jar

and some others as well. Once these are printed up and in the log book we're good to go. The DW fills out everything as her handwriting is much better than mine.
2012 Journey 36M, Cummings 360hp
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-16-2021, 09:59 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kluffinator View Post
We are buying a brand new MH and to start off right I want to use a hand written log to keep a record of all the maintenance and repairs. I know I could use an excel spreadsheet or an app and I actually do as an app is handy for reminders. I just don’t want the records to fall victim to technology obsolescence or other glitch.

That said I see several options available in online bookstores for RV specific maintenance log books. My question is if based on your own experience if there is a published log book you might recommend. ?

On a side note is there also a camping log book you like?

Is an excellent idea!

I made some applications using the FileMaker Pro graphic database for Windows.

Very low cost, I can configure them as I want, easy to use and very powerful.

I have been using it for years and have never lost a single data. Obviously you have to make backups.

These are the applications:

Spare parts register,
Travel log,
Work estimate management database,
RV maintenance log,
Accounting (together with a separate management software),
Technical-legal database,
Optional installation database,
Tire management database,
Vehicle checks and reliability register.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FMaker.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	318263  
Tony65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 02:45 PM   #17

Grand Design Owners Club
Thank you for the suggestion on the campground journal. it looks quite comprehensive. We always walk the campground and make notes of the best sites for when we come back and invariably lose that sheet of paper. So something like this would help a lot. plus the notes on local resturants etc. And the must reserve by as it seems each state park and coe site has their own timelines.
Kluffinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 03:01 PM   #18

Grand Design Owners Club
Thank you everyone for all the great suggestions. I like the idea of the sleeves for receipts and service work orders. And I like the idea of a a journal style narrative so that I can record details surrounding repairs and service. For instance one of the techs I have used is a big Tennessee fan so knowing that helps to strike up the conversation and humanize the transaction. I also like the idea of a cloud based log or app so that I can enter fuel purchases on the fly and get service reminders for the chassis based on mileage or time elapsed. And I like a paper log to keep track of the rv specific maintenance to record part numbers and observations, ie " Inspected the roof and found no pinholes, just a massive tree limb sticking through it" . And I particularly like the idea of a printed laminated checklist such as pilots use for departures and arrivals. I think a 3 ring binder with pre printed forms plus sleeves and a summary sheet and maybe a consolidated maintenance schedule may be just the ticket. I already have the pdfs of the different equipment manuals loaded to my kindle so that is pretty handy.
Old 02-16-2021, 03:04 PM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If anyone want copies of these pages PM me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooperhawk View Post
I also have pages for...
Stops along the way
Arrival Checklist
Capacities tanks and electric
Chassis specs
Daily trip log
Departure check list
Engine specs
Genset spec
Maintenance records
My campground ratings
Unit info
Job Jar

and some others as well. Once these are printed up and in the log book we're good to go. The DW fills out everything as her handwriting is much better than mine.
2012 Journey 36M, Cummings 360hp
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 06:34 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nildecaf View Post
I'm with you re physical hard copies (did IT for 30 yrs so I learned a thing or dozen about how digital records can be lost). I'm inherently lazy, so rather than keeping a separate log I bought a 1in. 3 ring binder and plastic single sheet sleeves. I keep my copy of each maintenance activity in one sleeve in reverse chronological order (newest on top). Has benefit of providing detailed record of who did exactly what, when and for how much. The top page has my registration and insurance info and I keep the binder in the cabinet above the driver's seat.
ditto-- I have a 3 ring notebook. Separate tabs for Chassis, House and genset. Place receipts/maintenance records in there as they occur.
Old 02-17-2021, 10:59 AM   #21

Ford Super Duty Owner
This journal is what i have been using for the past 5 years. I track my maintenance, fuel and anything i want. Good to have when the day comes to sell and pass along to a new owner.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01C4Y3M3Q...v_ov_lig_dp_it
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-02-17 at 12.52.51 PM.png
Views:	39
Size:	138.9 KB
ID:	318373  
bruce91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 03:25 PM   #22

Go to THOR owners website enter your vin, it will give you access to all of your owners manuals and a personal log book where you can pick what ,when and at what intervals you choose and they will send you email when appropriate. You will a,so find all of your schematics, water,sewer,12 /120 volt wiring everything you'll ever need.
Wrapped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 06:03 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95f5334j View Post
Hard cover lined notebook from the dollar store and a pen...... KISS!
X2. I also track where I bought Diesel, when and the mpg I had. I can track where I've been this way also, for future trips.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 10:14 PM   #24

Grand Design Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrapped View Post
Go to THOR owners website enter your vin, it will give you access to all of your owners manuals and a personal log book where you can pick what ,when and at what intervals you choose and they will send you email when appropriate. You will a,so find all of your schematics, water,sewer,12 /120 volt wiring everything you'll ever need.

I didn’t know about the reminder emails but I did download the manuals and schematics to my cloud storage and also put on my kindle.

Thanks for the tip!!
Old 02-21-2021, 12:25 AM   #25

Skyline Owners Group
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nildecaf View Post
I'm with you re physical hard copies (did IT for 30 yrs so I learned a thing or dozen about how digital records can be lost). I'm inherently lazy, so rather than keeping a separate log I bought a 1in. 3 ring binder and plastic single sheet sleeves. I keep my copy of each maintenance activity in one sleeve in reverse chronological order (newest on top). Has benefit of providing detailed record of who did exactly what, when and for how much. The top page has my registration and insurance info and I keep the binder in the cabinet above the driver's seat.
I've done this with every vehicle I have ever owned since around 1996. Buyers LOVE to see them when you sell! I take pictures of them when I buy them and they become the cover for the record book and make great ad photos when it comes time to list them for sale.
Terrapin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 06:24 AM   #26

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I use a 2 prong approach. I bought a hard back note book from the dollar store and I use it to record repair and maintenance. Examples might be:

Symptom: Wipers only work on high speed
Diagnosis: Wiper module bad
Repair: Replace wiper module. Bought from UltraRv $125.77

Spring 2021 repair list:
  • Fix door rattle
  • Kitchen cabinet door opens going down the road
  • Sliding door sometimes become unlatched while traveling

I created a spreadsheet I keep on my phone and backup it up periodically to my desktop that is then backed up to carbonite. I might lose some information if my phone fails but never very much. Attached is the spreadsheet. I calculate the amount of fuel used by the generator and back it out of the MH fuel usage.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Mileage log.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	419.9 KB
ID:	318757  
Old 02-21-2021, 06:41 AM   #27

Small spiral note book. Fuel fill up that includes date, mileage, MPG, place and price. Any repair, maintenance etc goes in right with fill ups. Anyone can doctor up a excel spread sheet. Hand writing and ink changes so up well.

I sold my last motorhome because of the log book. I have been looking at Prevost and not a single one has had any repair logs. I think these dealers throw this stuff away. Who knows why?
dadej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 08:17 AM   #28

Please pull away from the fuel island before filling out your log. Thank You.
NevadaNick is offline   Reply With Quote