Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-19-2019, 02:42 PM   #15

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Another thing you can try is wearing some support stockings - you don't need to spend the money for medical grade stuff though, just get something like Leggs Sheer Energy Active Support pantyhose - they have enough support to help with cramping, and they'll also reduce your chances of getting blood clots!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-19-2019, 02:44 PM   #16

I either pull over and walk my dog or put my feet on dash.
Old 04-19-2019, 02:52 PM   #17

I take warm water with 1/4 tee spoon of sea salt ,it works for me
Laly9343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 05:19 PM   #18

When my legs did that it was a potassium issue. The suggestions my doctor gave me worked. But they don't' work in 10 minutes. Drink tonic water, it has quinine in it. It took me a while to adjust to the flavor. Eat bananas, raisins and/or tomatoes.

Getting old is not for the weak...
born2travel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 05:33 PM   #19

As one who spent a night in the ER and 3 days in the hospital last week for DVT which resulted in Bi-lateral Pulmonary Embolisms(blood clots in each lung) and Pneumonia in each lung. Stop every 90 minutes or so and get out and move. I thought I was in good shape, I run 4-5 days a week and reasonaly active although this winter I was a little less active. But this late winter/early spring made two reasonably long trips (1,100 mile one way, thought my ham string was tight beind my knee so I keep moving my leg as I drove, probably should have been more cognizant of the pain. Any way I continue to rehab, up to walking 1.5-25 miles a day, was using supplemental O2 for several days, taking blood thinners for 6-12 months and compression socks. Don't ignore signs of things out of the ordinary, eat healthy, stay hydrated, move and take plenty of breaks. It will still be awhile before I can venture too far.
painterbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 05:34 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRUSA14 View Post
Nothing is quite like it was when we were younger.

I too had severe cramps when younger that was always blamed as caused by leg growth. I wonder if my late bout of cramps are due to a leg shrinkage phase? I asked my doctor about eating bananas, and he replied that if I did had a potassium deficiency, that I should take supplements because a person could not eat enough bananas to make any difference.

I would advise readjusting your seat position every 1/2 hour and hourly stops with stretching out.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 05:47 PM   #21

I usually wear compression tights when driving long distances. Helps.
Jake21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 06:02 PM   #22

Tiffin Owners Club
I used to have a lot of leg cramps, especially in my left leg. My Dr (who happens to be my eldest son), recommended V-8 and tonic (like gin & tonic, but no gin). Not mixed together, but separate. I drink one can of V-8 per day (not the big ones, I think 6-8 oz?) mid-morning. Then I mix a bit of OJ and a bit of lemonade in a 32-oz yeti cup, then fill it up with ice with diet tonic. When it is empty, I fill it again. Tastes great.

I have been almost cramp-free for the last 3 years. The V-8 has potassium and the tonic has quinine. Both of these are supposed to be preventative of cramps. Hope this helps.

Regards.

Chuck

PS - when drinking that much tonic, I HAVE to stop pretty often to walk back to the john. Might be part of it......
Old 04-19-2019, 06:35 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryB View Post
I'm writing to see is any one has dealt with (or has a solution for) leg cramps on long drives. I'm only good for a couple of hours (even just sitting in a plane or at a desk) before my legs start to get antsy. It's sort of like the start of a RLS episode (which I suffer from too).

Other than pulling over and walking around for a bit, are there any tips or remedies that I can use so I can get a few more hours of driving in before needed to stop for the night?
Skip the pills!!

Eat a banana every day.

Drink Tonic water it contains Quinnie just not in the strength used in pills that are to prevent and treat malaria. I personally like the taste.

Stay hydrated and the easy way is to drink a liter of water starting when you get up. I drink as I am making coffee, then will finish by about 10 am at the latest.
17 Oaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 07:44 PM   #24

have no idea if you do or don't, but cut way back on alcohol
Old 04-19-2019, 07:58 PM   #25

I adjust the seat to lean a bit forward to relief the pressure on the back of my legs and make sure I'm low enough to have my feet flat on the floor with thighs just a bit above parallel from my hips. Seems to keep circulation good in the lower extremity. Going to have to partake in some of the liquid concoctions.
red300zx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 08:34 PM   #26

A banana is ok.. but you will get over twice as much potasium in a potato. Have some hash browns or cottage fries with you breakfast.
Old 04-19-2019, 08:49 PM   #27

Heck if potatoes have twice as much potassium as bananas that sounds like a good bet, but you know you can eat them raw, I do. My wife thinks it's weird but then she thinks that orange jello and milk is weird too (it tastes like a creamsicle). I also think that low calcium can cause leg cramps. Get milk.

I used to get leg cramps when I drove long distances and then cruise control became my friend, no more leg cramps. You didn't say if you were using cruise, if not try it, it lets you move your legs around.
arcaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 09:19 PM   #28

I concur with pickle juice. Organic of course. There is actually a product called Pickle Juice specifically for leg cramps. Also mustard and Himalayan or sea salt.

Do you use cruise control? Frees up the right leg for awhile. In seat leg exercises. A tennis ball or equivalent to put under a cheek or leg for a minute or two. A small travel pillow or rolled up towel to put under the side of one leg or the other or behind the back. A seat support to promote better posture. Morning stretches and exercises.

It may be best to limit yourself to 1 1/2 hours at a time followed by a 20-30 minute period to do some stretches and move around. Try to keep it at bay rather than let it get bad. Have you discussed this with your Dr or looked into getting some physical therapy?
RVPioneer is offline   Reply With Quote