Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-25-2019, 04:59 AM   #43

Well, just in case it’s been overlooked, a daily multivitamin is a good thing, IMHO.
pbpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-25-2019, 05:06 AM   #44
YC1

Shoes off so laces are not restricting flow.

I have a 4x4 block of wood with a slant on the face. This block of wood is for my left foot. I can rest it on top or the front. And I can press against it to stretch a bit a lift my butt off the seat. I use a small pillow on each side to keep me centered in that huge captains chair.

I wish the captains chair was more like a sports car seat so it would hold me tighter from right to left.

With cruise control I can move my left leg and foot around and give it some stretches.

Adding a ventilated seat cushion keeps my sit down cool.

Stopping every two hours for just a couple of minutes really helps most though.

YC1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 05:06 AM   #45

Fairlife chocolate milk works great for leg cramps. Many long distance bicycle riders use it.
tranquility is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 06:01 AM   #46

Ford Super Duty Owner
Rexhall Owners Group
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryB View Post
Thanks for the tip on the potassium. I'll look at getting some OTC supplements. Can't hurt.

On the water - yes. That's a good ideal too - and then I will need to stop every couple of hours for that... - and get in some walking.
if you are taking a diuretic Rx ask your doc to check your various levels, potassium and calcium etc... otherwise follow the advice posted so far. Do not just add a supplement until you know what diuretic you are using and why. You can accidentally upset the balance the med is trying to achieve.

If you're diabetic dehydration is very possible. I deal with this now since my hip replacement in Jan '18 something about the stress of being under an extra 90-min as the doc had a very rough time fitting a prosthesis into my femur.

It could even be your driver's chair. Add any device you find that can massage your lower back and bottom to encourage circulation.

If your legs swell get a few pair of compression socks they help with circulation. Repeatedly pushing until you are in even mild discomfort beyond stiffness is probably a good thing to try and avoid.

Sorry don't mean to sound alarmist just it really may be something potentially serious if it happens all the time.

learn how to tap dance to disco beats while you drive?
Old 04-25-2019, 06:06 AM   #47

Ford Super Duty Owner
Rexhall Owners Group
wanted to find a page detailing that bananas are not the end all as a source of potassium. Here is s nice list to help with variety...to me avocados are the world's magic fruit. Yummy...

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition...sium#section11
Old 04-25-2019, 06:26 AM   #48

Ford Super Duty Owner
Rexhall Owners Group
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryB View Post

BTW - I take a prescription (Ropinirole) at night for RLS. But this cramping while siting for long stretches is something different (maybe related) - I don't know.
That is actually a low does med sometimes used for Parkinson's. Wife took it for a week...she had, ummm, interesting reaction to it that were extremely vivid dreams where she acted out what she was doing in the dreams. Nice it's helping you.

Btw, if you have to get up a few timea a night to relieve your bladder consider adding Saw Palmetto (i use the standardized extract versions 3x daily) it seems helpful to lots of men and is very safe to take. Same with milk thistle silymarin is the extract version which apparently does all the work) to support your liver. Both actually do help. I don't buy into fad "cures" these aren't cures but can help manage a couple significant issues us guys can experience.

ok soapbox is now in the fire pit!
Old 04-25-2019, 10:37 AM   #49

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenautoone View Post
Lots and lots of water.....
but then don't you have to stop every 2 hours to pee?
Blog: bailey18.com
AllanK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 02:29 PM   #50

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanK View Post
but then don't you have to stop every 2 hours to pee?
No. You have to stop every half hour.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 07:26 PM   #51

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Can't say that this this is a viable solution for anybody but we used to have a Class A gasser and I had a horrible time driving it. I do need a new knee and one new hip as well. But when I would start to drive the rig, within an hour my hip hurt, my knee hurt, my leg hurt etc. I would be constantly moving around trying to find a comfortable position and even when I found one it would only last for a short while. I almost hated driving it. Last year we got rid of it and bought a new DP. Can't say what exactly the difference in the seat is but I can drive all day long now with now issues at all. It is firmer, wider and doesn't have the rolled up sides like so many seats do now so it isn't pushing on my hip. But it is remarkable. It's like all the problems just went away and I'm back to really enjoying the drive again. If I ever change coaches again I'm taking the drivers seat with me...........
MoHo Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 12:55 AM   #52

Frequent stops to stretch!
eddndee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 01:27 AM   #53

Ford Super Duty Owner
Most of the advice here is good, particularly the caution about the possibility of DVT. You definitely don't want to risk that.

I too have issues once in a while with Restless Leg Syndrome. After mentioning this to my healthcare provider he prescribed a medication, Ropinirole (Requip). It worked from the very first pill I took.

You might ask your doctor if it might be appropriate for you.
akeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 08:58 AM   #54

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
This may be an extreme measure, but adding hand controls could give your legs a rest.

Former owner of a Morgan powered Bennington
knightstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 02:50 PM   #55

Being an ex OTR trucker. I am very familiar with the leg cramp thing. Drink lots of bottled water at room temp or cool. not iced cold. Eat a large banana along with breakfast. and another one during the day if you like banana's also, most important! Whenever you stop for a P-break, I bend over and touch my toes three or four times in a row. You can feel the subluxations in your spine popping...I'm 62 and still do this daily even though I don't drive tractor trailer any longer.
Grafton Guns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 02:57 PM   #56

Leg cramps

Many friends told me potassium. I tried that - no luck, same with dill pickles or mustard. Asked the Dr and he ran some blood work. Seems my problem was magnesium. He recommended to start some and increase til body said OK.
That worked about 20 yrs ago. Blood work checks out fine with what I am taking. I only take what my Dr advises when looking at my blood work. Yes, to much of something your body doesn't need can hurt you.
Happy Travels!!
tomur2 is offline   Reply With Quote