Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-01-2023, 10:42 AM   #1

Long Time RVer's thoughts wanted on the wanderBOX RV

Have you seen the wanderBOX RV? (In person or video.) I can't get it out of my mind! I'm in the RV market and I love what I see. But, I'm too inexperienced with RVs to reasonably apply common sense, logic, and reason when I have stars in my eyes like this. I'm hoping some serious RVers will chime in.

I'm interested in the wanderBOX Outpost 29 4x4 model with the Shafer Trail Floorplan. It's everything I want. (Tour videos of the 35' model on YouTube.)

My details:

- Just me and my dog.
- Rural, off-grid boondocking for longer periods of time than a normal RV allows with the usual amounts of solar, fresh water capacity, and toilet system.
- I don't need to tow anything and I don't go off-roading for sport. I just like the ability to get to secluded places without worrying about mud, ruts, grooves, dips, hills, rocks, and whatever else rarely used dirt trails may throw at me. (I've lived in cities for way too long, folks. I'm a country kid needing to get back to my mountain roots.)

What I love about the wanderBOX:

- The 29' model is perfect for me. The 35' model is too big.

- My minimum requirement for fresh water capacity is 50 gallons. It would be my first modification in any RV I buy. This wanderBOX model has 133 gallon insulated, heated high-capacity fresh water tank. (Yes, water is heavy. But you don't have to fill it completely full all the time. But having the capacity to have that much water when you do go off-grid for awhile is everything.)

- 2800 watt solar with Mastervolt dual 4500 watt inverter/chargers and anywhere from 12-36 kWh lithium ion iron phosphate battery system (Mastervolt). Why all this power? For the...

- ... washer/dryer combo, trash compactor (wouldn't get, but it allows for dealing with trash better on longer off-grid stays), the full size residential refrigerator, A/C, MaxxAir Fans, induction cooktop, microwave (wouldn't get), awning, lighting and even a dishwasher (wouldn't get). It even has an incinerating toilet which is the other required modification I would make to any RV anyway. It's the first thing I planned and budgeted for.)

- The chassis is a Ford F-600 XLT, 6.7L diesel 330 HP/825 torque engine, 10-speed automatic transmission, 4x4, hydraulic
brakes, 66 gallon fuel capacity, 22,000 lb GVWR

* I'm not mechanically inclined so I don't know the pros and cons of this chassis set up. I do like the 66 gallon fuel tank. Increasing the size of my RVs fuel tank was another modification I was seriously considering.

First, let's deal with the elephants in the room first. Yes, it's expensive and yes, it's a bit overkill for an RV newbie like me. I know these things. The help I'm asking for isn't in regards to money, with the exception of wondering how much a rig like this would be to maintain well. (And who could work on it?!) I'm definitely interested in what people think of this RV, but I'm interested in getting past the eye candy element of this RV. (Usually not a problem for me.) What are the things I need to remember, consider, know about, look into, etc., The pros are evident. What are the cons?

- Given the weight of this vehicle and all the features, I'm wondering about storage capacity for my own cargo. Anything I'm not considering that I need to with this?

- Are there any glaring red flags with any of this that I'm not experienced enough to see?

- Which of all the options would you recommend getting or avoiding? Are there any standard items that you think are impractical or problematic? (Power steps, etc.,) Any modifications or add-ons that aren't available that you would highly recommend?

- I'm not a mechanic. But, I would have it checked and maintained regularly. Any advice, warnings or suggestions in this area?

- Any thoughts on insurance? (Full coverage, leaving nothing uncovered.) Anything from with who to which policies, clauses, events, or types of damage to make sure are included?

Basically, anything that comes to mind - good or bad - would be appreciated.
Jack Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-01-2023, 05:01 PM   #2

Buy a 4WD pick up and a pick up camper. You won't have all your must haves as far as capacities, but used and purchasing wisely you could get them for 10% of what that costs. RVs, boon docking seem like dreams to a lot of people. After a few months some find it's not for them, but to get out of it is really expensive. If it turns out you really like it you've got time under your belt to know what are the real must haves are.
Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2023, 10:36 AM   #3

Thanks for the suggestion. But, while I have time before I buy, I'm letting myself consider every option I come across that I like, regardless of circumstances. I'm just looking at the RVs themselves.

I know it's unlikely that anyone here has a wanderBOX RV. They're pretty new and expensive. But, because the folks here have different levels of experience, and RV for different reasons, I started this thread to get people's thoughts on this RV in general. There are no right or wrong answers.

What do you see as the pros and cons?
What do you love and what concerns you?
Are you familiar with the chassis?
Whatever the thoughts folks have when seeing it would be appreciated.

That's why I mentioned the expense of it being the elephant in the room. We're all concerned about spending smart. But, I want to look beyond that at this point and just see the RV and all the specs for what they, what they offer, and get experienced RVer's thoughts on this RV as a whole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argosy View Post
Buy a 4WD pick up and a pick up camper. You won't have all your must haves as far as capacities, but used and purchasing wisely you could get them for 10% of what that costs. RVs, boon docking seem like dreams to a lot of people. After a few months some find it's not for them, but to get out of it is really expensive. If it turns out you really like it you've got time under your belt to know what are the real must haves are.
Old 05-02-2023, 12:25 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Parker View Post
Thanks for the suggestion. But, while I have time before I buy, I'm letting myself consider every option I come across that I like, regardless of circumstances. I'm just looking at the RVs themselves.

I know it's unlikely that anyone here has a wanderBOX RV. They're pretty new and expensive. But, because the folks here have different levels of experience, and RV for different reasons, I started this thread to get people's thoughts on this RV in general. There are no right or wrong answers.

What do you see as the pros and cons?
What do you love and what concerns you?
Are you familiar with the chassis?
Whatever the thoughts folks have when seeing it would be appreciated.

That's why I mentioned the expense of it being the elephant in the room. We're all concerned about spending smart. But, I want to look beyond that at this point and just see the RV and all the specs for what they, what they offer, and get experienced RVer's thoughts on this RV as a whole.
Jack, I've been following your posts with interest and applaud your efforts to get feedback, especially about the Wanderbox. When I first went to their website via the link you provided, I was somewhat concerned by the "photos" of their products. APPARENTLY, they are not actual photos and almost everything I saw looked more like CGI produced "renderings". Do you KNOW if they have actually built any? For that kind of expenditure, I would certainly want to inspect one in person, but YMMV. I do hope you can find the RV of your dreams, and enjoy living off the grid once you retire.
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2023, 12:48 PM   #5

Thanks for the encouragement. I know sometimes folks see asking a lot of questions and posting a lot as a pain, but when it comes to RVs and being a first time buyer, it's necessary. I've come to the conclusion that buying an RV is the most difficult shopping experience there is. Far more stressful than buying a house, land, or any other vehicle. I've also learned that there's no such thing as "the best" or a "perfect" RV and that they all have problems no matter how much you spend on them. (Which is another area I've researched... customer service. This says a lot about what you can expect from the brand/maker of the RV you buy.)

As for the wanderBOX, yes, they are in production. I first learned about them on YouTube. Here's a full tour of their original model, the And here is the quick

I'm seriously impressed. Like I said, I'd go with the new 29 foot model. The one drawback to that is that national parks limit RVs to 25' or less, which is why that was one of my original criteria... until I saw the wanderBox.

Would seriously appreciate people's thoughts on this RV on whatever stands out (good or bad) about it to them. I know it's hard for folks to not default right to the expense, but I want to know about the RV at this point. Not the expense or value for the price yet. And it's not a sure thing for me at all. I"m also looking at other smaller Class Cs and Bs.

Also, I'd like to learn what people think/know about the chassis: Ford F-600 XLT, 6.7L diesel 330 HP/825 torque engine, 10-speed automatic transmission, 4x4, hydraulic brakes, 66 gallon fuel capacity, 22,000 lb GVWR

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgray View Post
Jack, I've been following your posts with interest and applaud your efforts to get feedback, especially about the Wanderbox. When I first went to their website via the link you provided, I was somewhat concerned by the "photos" of their products. APPARENTLY, they are not actual photos and almost everything I saw looked more like CGI produced "renderings". Do you KNOW if they have actually built any? For that kind of expenditure, I would certainly want to inspect one in person, but YMMV. I do hope you can find the RV of your dreams, and enjoy living off the grid once you retire.
Old 05-02-2023, 01:04 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Looked at the "Box", and it seems like a minimalist class super "C", with a high price. Does not look very fuel-efficient up top of the cab.
I'd like to see one after it runs thru a swarm of grasshoppers like I did recently.
All I had to do was wash the windshield. I killed a BUNCH.
To each his own............

Mike in Colorado
2004 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37c, 8.1 gasser, (Jezebel) Ultra RV ECM / TCM, plugs wires, and rear track bar, PPE deep Tx pan w/ temp gage, Bilstein's, Sailun's & Sumo's all round, pushed by a 2002 Grand Caravan, on a Master Tow Dolly OR a WR-250 on a rail.
Flyer15015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2023, 11:31 AM   #7

Thanks Flyer. These are the kinds of thoughts and opinions I'm hoping more people have the time to help with. For someone like me, it's invaluable and taken seriously.

The minimalist style is fine by me. I'm that way anyway. Just give me what I need and leave the frilly eye-candy out of it. Given the options, I'd a lot of things out. I don't need a fridge that big, a dishwasher, a trash compactor, the extra passenger benches behind the cab, the pull out stand up table, etc., The space where those passenger benches are is wasted space for me and I'd rather that four feet was removed so I could have the RV at 25' instead of 29'.

I can't speak about the grasshoppers but I do plan to ask them about the MPG due to the design. If it's in the single digits, it's an automatic No Way for me. But, I want an intelligent list of questions to ask them before I call.

More than anything, I'm hoping someone knows a bit about the chassis and engine. Is it reliable? Worth the money? Easy/Difficult to fix or find someone who could work on it? Is it overkill? Will it under-perform for all the weight? Will it leave much for the OCCC (which I still need to call and find out what that number is).

It's not on the top of my list, but it's on my list... for now. Other RVs are not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyer15015 View Post
Looked at the "Box", and it seems like a minimalist class super "C", with a high price. Does not look very fuel-efficient up top of the cab.
I'd like to see one after it runs thru a swarm of grasshoppers like I did recently.
All I had to do was wash the windshield. I killed a BUNCH.
To each his own............

Mike in Colorado
Old 05-03-2023, 04:23 PM   #8

Quote:
Thanks Flyer...... I do plan to ask them about the MPG due to the design. If it's in the single digits, it's an automatic No Way for me. .......
I'm sure there may be some rare exceptions, but I think you'll find that "most", if not all, Class A chassis can't do better than 8 MPG. I also think "most" Class C chassis don't get into meaningful double digits, so that leaves the Class B units, especially those on the Sprinter diesel chassis, which are not known for serious off-road travel.

As you've learned, RVing is all about compromise
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2023, 06:26 PM   #9

I think the wanderBOX 29' model would technically be classified as a C, but they don't classify it on their site that I remember. Still, I suspect you're right about the MPG.

My conclusion about this RV is that, as much as I love the things I love about it, overall it's just overkill for me. If I wanted a bugout vehicle though, this would be in the running! Besides, there's still going to be a wait time between ordering and receiving. The difficult thing about my RV need is that, when I need it, I will need it. I can't wait months, a year, or up to three years to get one.

I've pretty much done all the online research I can without getting to see any in person. That said, I think the right RV for me is going to be the Winnebago EKKO. It's about 95%+ of what I'm wanting and the things that aren't right, are easily modified with a couple of major projects that I would have done professionally. Since getting a van and having it built out to my exact specifications no longer fits my timeframe either, the EKKO looks to be it. The pros won out over the cons and I'm not mad about my decision. It sits real good with me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgray View Post
I'm sure there may be some rare exceptions, but I think you'll find that "most", if not all, Class A chassis can't do better than 8 MPG. I also think "most" Class C chassis don't get into meaningful double digits, so that leaves the Class B units, especially those on the Sprinter diesel chassis, which are not known for serious off-road travel.

As you've learned, RVing is all about compromise
Old 05-04-2023, 06:23 AM   #10

One bit of advice:

You have stated more than once that you are "not mechanically inclined ". Based upon how you have said you are going to use whatever RV you purchase, you need to become at least somewhat mechanically inclined. At the very least, you need to understand all of the systems and how they interact so that you have the knowledge to deal effectively with any repair shops.
bentjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2023, 08:32 AM   #11

I couldn't agree more. I'm good at figuring out how to fix things but I'm not mechanically inclined. Actually, that's the main thing that scares me about getting the wanderBOX. It looks like a beast of an engine and, if I needed repairs in the middle of being off-grid somewhere, then I'd be 100% helpless. I love what the wanderBOX offers, but common sense, logic, and reason have to rule over heart on this one.

I did mention in a couple of other posts (not that I expect anyone to read everything I've written), that whatever rig I get, I will definitely be taking the time to learn everything I can about it. Not just YouTube videos either. I want to hire a good mechanic to:

- Show me around the engine and the chassis and explain what's what.
- Show me what common things could go wrong and what the signs are that they have.
- Explain what spare parts, tools, and gadgets might be smart to keep on hand in a pinch.
- Show me the things I can safely fix myself.

I refuse to be helpless when it comes to the the thing I rely on to live in and get around with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentjm View Post
One bit of advice:

You have stated more than once that you are "not mechanically inclined ". Based upon how you have said you are going to use whatever RV you purchase, you need to become at least somewhat mechanically inclined. At the very least, you need to understand all of the systems and how they interact so that you have the knowledge to deal effectively with any repair shops.
Old 05-04-2023, 08:52 AM   #12
Community Moderator

A 10cf dc fridge is NOT a full size residential fridge. You have said you don’t need a fridge that big, however, without pulling a vehicle behind you to go to town in, you would need to break camp to go buy food when you run out.

The other negative I see with cab over class C RV’s is the difficulty in needing to go up and down a ladder to get in bed, and the fact that there isn’t headspace enough to sit up in bed.
As I get older, this would be very uncomfortable, especially for the 3 nightly trips to the bathroom.

If you are mostly boondocking why is 35ft too big? Boondocking means there are no space restrictions usually.
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2023, 10:05 AM   #13
Community Moderator

Quote:
I do plan to ask them about the MPG due to the design. If it's in the single digits, it's an automatic No Way for me.

I don’t think it would get single digits, but even if it does, know this……. Diesel fuel will be your cheapest expense in the grand scheme of things. Don’t even worry about mpg if you stay minimum 1-2 weeks at each stop.

We drive about 200 miles between stops (ends up being 3-4 hours drive time), and even at 8 mpg that’s only about $200 per month out of our $3000 monthly expenditures.
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2023, 10:33 AM   #14

Looking at your profile, I see you are from Minnesota. My question is, where do you plan on camping. By your post it sounds like you are interested in "Rural, off-grid boondocking for longer periods of time..."

I can certainly understand, pretty much, every State Park and National Forest type camping has options for camping with not hook-ups. But it sounds like what you are looking for is public land. Unless you plan on heading to some of the Western states, there just isn't very much opportunity for this type of camping, pretty much, everything East of the Mississippi River has no true boon docking anywhere. That's doesn't mean you can't park in someone's barn lot, or in their private woods, but you better work out a deal with them first before doing so.

Maybe Minnesota has opportunity for more public land Boon Docking than I an aware of. Still, if this is your dream, I think you are in for some real surprises when you find out, this type of camping is pretty much non-existent any more, except in BLM land and mostly in the Western States.

Have you had opportunity to actually go and see and visit some of these locations you are planning on