Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-23-2017, 09:56 AM   #1

Looking for input - Winn mini - barn roof snow fell on cab over

Over the winter the barn roof failed due to excessive snow and displaced the top of the RV roof above the over cab bed. The roof is bowed down about 6" in the center. There are no breaks or cracks in the roof membrane and water is not entering, the crank open window is still above the low point which is toward the front of the vent. From the ground you barely tell the roof is bowed down, and inside you can barely tell. The sides of the cab over are still vertical and do not show and deflection inward.

It appears the roof now has the memory of the droop as it is not showing any interest in returning to normal flat status. When you place a 2x4 across the cab from drivers side to passenger side the center of roof is easily 6" low in the center.

So the question is, is this repair worth completing? My biggest concern is trying to get the wood structiure to bend the other way. I had planned to simply position a long 2x10 across the roof on the outside, add a short 2x6 on the inside under the vent hole, then use a C clamp to pull the 2 beams together. that should provide the force to reduce the bow, but I am reaching out for your ideas on how to keep that original flat position once the clamps are removed.

I also thought of adding side clamps to each side of the cab over and then placing a tall 2x4 column on the floor of the rv and under the low point and jacking that up from inside to "pop" the roof sagging bubble out, but with it being wood instead of composite, the bubble or bow I am afraid is not going to simply "pop" back to normal.

I am very handy with tools and very creative, but have never taken the skins off to see internal frame structure inside of the front cabover sleeper. I am new to MH and assistance would like be great. If this was metal I would just pound it out, bondo, feather and paint.

The rig is an older 1996 Winnabego Mini 24 in otherwise excellent condition.

Any links showing the internal structure would be helpful too. I have looked and have not found the perfect image yet detailing the structure.

Thanks
Moab is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-23-2017, 11:50 AM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club

Are you sure the cabover area has wooden rafters? I'd remove the headliner to inspect the structure of the roof. That way you're not damaging the roof covering. If it's got metal, you may be able to use a jack to lift it back into proper shape. From inside, you may be able to lift it into place and place sister rafters, wood or metal, along the cracked or sagging rafters. If you try to remove the broken rafters, you may damage the roof surface. Better to just sister them if possible.

Once back in proper profile, you'll have to inspect the roof for cracks or places water might enter. Dicor self-leveling caulk or Eternabond tape can help seal any issues in the roof exterior.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 12:00 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Check with Winnebago. They are VERY helpful. From what I read the roof structure is rigid foam with steel rafters.
eieioh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 12:26 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Look at the image below. There may be one metal cross rafter where the section over the cab begins. The roof is a 3/16" plywood panel with fiberglass laminated on its top and another 3/16" plywood panel with the ceiling finish laminated on its bottom, glued to large styrofoam panels in between. It is pressure bonded at the factory in its original slightly curved shape. You might try parking it in the sun and see if it partially returns to the original shape without doing anything else.

Minni-Winnie Structure
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 12:53 PM   #5

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by powercat_ras View Post
Look at the image below. There may be one metal cross rafter where the section over the cab begins. The roof is a 3/16" plywood panel with fiberglass laminated on its top and another 3/16" plywood panel with the ceiling finish laminated on its bottom, glued to large styrofoam panels in between. It is pressure bonded at the factory in its original slightly curved shape. You might try parking it in the sun and see if it partially returns to the original shape without doing anything else.

Minni-Winnie Structure
I assume the link is the structure for a 2017 RV. The OP has a 1996. It might be the same, but that's a large assumption.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 05:24 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Looking for input - Winn mini - barn roof snow fell on cab over

Winnebago support will provide schematics / structural diagrams for free. Just email off the website and ask. You can then confirm the material. I had them send some from a 1991 Winnebago before having my current 2008 Winnebago View.

Tags
roof