Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-23-2011, 04:30 PM   #1

Looking for Onan Expert?

Got an Onan 5K BGM Spec G. that didn’t run when I bought the RV. Cleaned carb and got it started. Now I am not sure how the long spring for the governor rod connects at the governor actuator arm. The service manual is not real clear. It is clear how it hooks to the carb linkage but I can't get it to run right if I hook it up per the manual at this end. The throttle and governor will flutter or oscillate and won’t stay steady and causes the genset to run rough. It’s hard to explain if you’re not familiar with it but the spring hooks into the grommet on the carb linkage. The governor actuator rod goes into the grommet and kind of floats. The spring pulls back on the linkage toward shut-off and the governor pushes on it to maintain 1800 RPM. But it runs rough when I hook it up this way. Now... If I hook the spring to the rod instead of the grommet it pulls the rod tight against the back of the grommet on the linkage and it runs smother with no flutter. So I'm thinking I have it hooked up wrong back at the governor actuator rod. If someone had a clear picture or diagram on this it would really help. I hope someone understood my description here? Thanks

AzCactusRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-23-2011, 04:35 PM   #2

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Not an expert but I believe it's supposed to be on the spring first to allow for the flutter so when your energy draw changes the governor compensates at a steady rate not just revving to full throttle. Have you called Onan directly? When I had questions tech support was easy to work with.
4Knights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 04:44 PM   #3
a k

Newmar Owners Club
You might want to plug something into it to load it up because they will float under no load. Maybe a 500 watt light. It won't hurt the light if it is low might blow it out if it's too high.
a k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 09:21 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Knights
Not an expert but I believe it's supposed to be on the spring first to allow for the flutter so when your energy draw changes the governor compensates at a steady rate not just revving to full throttle. Have you called Onan directly? When I had questions tech support was easy to work with.
Yea, they sent me to the parts counter. Said there techs are busy earning $100 an hour. Guess I'm in the wrong business? I think the flutter is excessive because it shakes pretty bad and acts like it is running on one cylinder. This is why I wonder if I have the spring hooked up to the wrong place at the actuator arm?
Old 02-23-2011, 09:27 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by a k
You might want to plug something into it to load it up because they will float under no load. Maybe a 500 watt light. It won't hurt the light if it is low might blow it out if it's too high.
I'll give that a try tomorrow. I can maybe come up with a 100 watt bulb or two? I can try the ac as well.
Old 02-24-2011, 05:11 PM   #6

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I have an Onan Service manual I can email you PDF version I sent you my Email via PM send me your email and I'll send you what I have, I can't post the manual here can't figure out how to do it. Size issues
Ron
4Knights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 06:47 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Knights
I have an Onan Service manual I can email you PDF version I sent you my Email via PM send me your email and I'll send you what I have, I can't post the manual here can't figure out how to do it. Size issues
Ron
Got it! I dropped the GenSet down and was able to get a camera shot of the actuator arm. You can see the v-groove at the end where the spring goes and you can see where I have it in the wrong place. Got it hooked up and it started running smooth! Thanks for everyones help on this.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3045728678.png
Views:	92
Size:	762.1 KB
ID:	8515