Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-07-2021, 09:27 AM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
Looking like I'll need a new awning

Staying in Maggie Valley for the month and its been raining every day. Last night it rained heavily all night and this morning my awning was sagging and wouldn't drain off. Got a pole and pushed it up to get the water off. The rear shock which depresses when water weighted wouldn't extend and the awning wouldn't retract. Went up the rear ladder to take a look and saw a sizable bubble in the awning at the middle rear edge of the bubble which i assumed was water filled. Got my ladder out and put a small 1" slit in the underside of the awning. Water slowly ran out for 15 min or so. Awning now retracts as it should.

Seems like the awning upper and lower material delamated and let water in-between. I'll see how it does over the next few days with more rain expected.

This awning replacement is looking like something for the pros to replace. I have replaced all my slide toppers with stone vos but this looks involved. I will youtube it and if any of you have DIY'd it all suggestions appreciated. TIA
and 2012 Ford Fusion hybrid
bruce91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-07-2021, 11:40 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce91 View Post
Staying in Maggie Valley for the month and its been raining every day. Last night it rained heavily all night and this morning my awning was sagging and wouldn't drain off. Got a pole and pushed it up to get the water off. The rear shock which depresses when water weighted wouldn't extend and the awning wouldn't retract. Went up the rear ladder to take a look and saw a sizable bubble in the awning at the middle rear edge of the bubble which i assumed was water filled. Got my ladder out and put a small 1" slit in the underside of the awning. Water slowly ran out for 15 min or so. Awning now retracts as it should.

Seems like the awning upper and lower material delamated and let water in-between. I'll see how it does over the next few days with more rain expected.

This awning replacement is looking like something for the pros to replace. I have replaced all my slide toppers with stone vos but this looks involved. I will youtube it and if any of you have DIY'd it all suggestions appreciated. TIA
Sounds like all you need is the fabric. Get good stuff. Marine vinyl is the best. Have had the Mexican canvas shops make several for our fellows in Mazatlan.

If you have replaced your own slide toppers, replacing the awning fabric is the same. You will just need 3 guys and two ladders. It sounds like you have the electric one like I have that dumps water out the back side under a heavy load. The manual ones were easy because you could let the tube hang all the way down to do the bottom. Not sure if there is a way to disconnect the arms so you can get the roller tube down where you can work on it at arm level.

If you do it, let us know how it works.

PS: I've done them, but I needed a slide topper on mine, had it to the Winnebago factory service center for other stuff, so I had them just go ahead and install it. $75 labor. Paid $300 for the fabric, which was probably too much but for $75 I am not messing with it.
amosnandy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 01:05 PM   #3

amosnandy, as somebody who made their living doing almost anything to a motor vehicle that can be done, I think $75 to replace the fabric of a slide topper is reasonable. Most good shops around here are going to cost you well north of a C note every hour, so $75 is probably about a half hour. Where did you get the fabric for your topper? Unless you have a huge slide $300 seems a bit high, I'll admit I shop the internet,so that could be normal for sticks and bricks. I need to replace both of my slide toppers, and I am considering the canopy on the awning as well. I've noticed pinholes looking up in the daylight. I'm more worried about the doing toppers than the awning, they look more complicated.
RealNiceTent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 01:47 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealNiceTent View Post
amosnandy, as somebody who made their living doing almost anything to a motor vehicle that can be done, I think $75 to replace the fabric of a slide topper is reasonable. Most good shops around here are going to cost you well north of a C note every hour, so $75 is probably about a half hour. Where did you get the fabric for your topper? Unless you have a huge slide $300 seems a bit high, I'll admit I shop the internet,so that could be normal for sticks and bricks. I need to replace both of my slide toppers, and I am considering the canopy on the awning as well. I've noticed pinholes looking up in the daylight. I'm more worried about the doing toppers than the awning, they look more complicated.
I had Winnebago order the fabric. It's good grade vinyl. Yup. The coach was done with everything but when the fabric came in. Said it would be Monday sometime before it was done.

Two guys came in on Saturday to finish a few projects. The tech that delivered it to me said they had 15 minutes to spare, so they slipped it on. Two guys that do them all the time with the right equipment. My son and I could have done it, but we would take 1/2 day and look like monkeys.

It was a 16' slide and I could have Marine vinyl ones made in Mexico and installed for $200 or less, but I needed it fixed and was at the factory so had them do it.
amosnandy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 03:03 PM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealNiceTent View Post
I need to replace both of my slide toppers, and I am considering the canopy on the awning as well. I've noticed pinholes looking up in the daylight. I'm more worried about the doing toppers than the awning, they look more complicated.
I replaced all 3 of my slide toppers a few years ago with stone vos coachgard fabric <http://stonevos.com/index.php/about-us/>. Couldn't be happier with the quality of the material and their stiching thread. My friend who helped me with the install commented on the quality, he is a master sail maker.

The toppers are an easy install with a helper. watch a few youtube videos.
and 2012 Ford Fusion hybrid
bruce91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 07:39 AM   #6

There are usually directions on awning makers websight to replace fabrics and if there are retract springs the number of preload turns.
I think I seen multi brand info on Stone Voss as well.
153stars is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 09:29 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce91 View Post

Can't help you with the awning issue, but I was wondering where you are staying in Maggie valley and how you like it. We've stayed at Pride a few times.
Old 10-08-2021, 10:20 AM   #8
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Stone Vos is your friend!
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 11:26 AM   #9

I replaced my 18 ft manual awning fabric all by myself, and I would have had a pro do it, except they were months out. I think it would have been $160 or so, and next time I'll probably pay someone to do it. That said, it was a challenge and I enjoyed doing it, just to see if I could.

One of the biggest challenges was putting it into the upper rail. I put a pulley on the rear, and used that with some clothesline to pull it, while standing on a ladder and feeding it into the rail on the front end. I laid the rolled fabric along a lounge chair that was flat, and that helped me pull it up and feed it into the rail. I used a heavy rubber coated spring clamp on the fabric, tied to the clothesline. Once I got it about halfway, the rest was easy.

By the way, there should be a screw or two on either end into the the fabric bead, through the upper rail. It took me a while to figure that out... I just had one screw on the front end. I also used a short ladder with a thick towel over it in the middle of the tube, to help me support it as I was removing and replacing the rear arm.

There are many YouTube videos how to do it, and I combined certain techniques from about three of them. I only removed and replaced the tube rear end cap, and it was fairly easy to pop rivet back on, then retention. It was about 14 turns to detention it, so I retentioned it at 14 turns with a vice grip, then put it into the arm.

I bought mine from Shadepro, and it was very reasonably priced, and shipped very quickly. By the way I just checked, and it's still $200 for the fabric with free shipping (4-ply 15 oz) and $369 installed.

Attachment 345878
tap4154 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 11:40 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
RV Trip Wizard
We ordered a replacement awning from ShadePro a couple of months ago for our 2004 itasca. Replacing it was really straightforward and simple but is much, much simpler with two or more people doing the work.

I found specific instructions for replacing our manual awning on YouTube and it was spot on.

AveryF is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning