Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-21-2014, 07:29 AM   #1

Looking to add bedroom ac

In July we purchased a new to us Damon Day break 34ss and the dw would like to add a second ac in the bedroom. Thor has told me that the rv is pre wired for the second ac (120 v)
I'm sure that this is something that I could do myself if I choose to but as we are approaching or busy season at work ( goes in spurts ). I'll probably pay someone to do it. So my question is what would be a good second ac unit and what might I expect to pay for the unit.if you have done this yourself is there anything I should know. Like what parts did not come with the ac. Also this will be a ductless as
middleman210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-21-2014, 08:05 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
A friend of mine use Campworld, Price was around $500 plus the AC cost.

Here is how one fellow did it.......
http://janeandjohn.org/pages/roofAC.html

more info with some other pricing

http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/ind...?topic=45685.0
cc8375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 08:15 AM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by middleman210 View Post
In July we purchased a new to us Damon Day break 34ss and the dw would like to add a second ac in the bedroom. Thor has told me that the rv is pre wired for the second ac (120 v)
I'm sure that this is something that I could do myself if I choose to but as we are approaching or busy season at work ( goes in spurts ). I'll probably pay someone to do it. So my question is what would be a good second ac unit and what might I expect to pay for the unit.if you have done this yourself is there anything I should know. Like what parts did not come with the ac. Also this will be a ductless as
Somewhere you have two switches that control use of front, rear or both A'cond's, usually located near breaker panel. If you are 30 amp you will only be able to use one at a time unless on generator. To be sure wired for it - just remove trim around bedroom ceiling vent and there should be a 110 wire. While cover is off look for duct connections. You probably can install ducted version for about same money. If comfortable doing 110 wiring you can add a 15amp shore cord just for second A'cond. Most parks have 15 30 and 50 amp outlets. I'm over 70 and installed one by myself in less than eight hours. You WILL need help getting it on roof - otherwise a one man job.
Suzie & Chuck USNR USAF USCGA Challenger Owners Club 2015 37KT Challenger, Demco Commander tow bar, Ready Brake, Sewer Solutions, Safe-T-Plus 41-230, 5-Star tune, towing 2017 Ford Edge FWD 3.6L V-6 four down & 385 FastTrack kayak in the basement.
Summer - Creede, CO Winter - Okeechobee, FL
ctpres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 08:26 AM   #4

I added a second unit to my XLR Toyhauler. I let my RV repair guy do it, primarily because of my concern about lifting the unit up to the roof, and then moving the unit across the roof to the install location. Like you, my trailer was pre-wired for a 2nd AC. The choices I had were size (I picked 13, 500, smaller than the 15,000 btu unit that came with my trailer), color (I took what he had in stock because it was cheaper), did I want it connected to the duct work (no), did I want a heat strip (yes), and did I want a thermostat (I use the controls on the unit).

My dealer had ordered a trailer load of AC units earlier in the year so he was selling them at a special price. Install was ~$250.

The 2nd AC was essential to cooling off the trailer after we stopped during the summer months. I also take comfort in having a back up to the main unit.

The only negative is that the heat strip has minimal effect.

This pic shows the 2nd unit:
andy29847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 10:13 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctpres View Post
Somewhere you have two switches that control use of front, rear or both A'cond's, usually located near breaker panel. If you are 30 amp you will only be able to use one at a time unless on generator. To be sure wired for it - just remove trim around bedroom ceiling vent and there should be a 110 wire. While cover is off look for duct connections. You probably can install ducted version for about same money. If comfortable doing 110 wiring you can add a 15amp shore cord just for second A'cond. Most parks have 15 30 and 50 amp outlets. I'm over 70 and installed one by myself in less than eight hours. You WILL need help getting it on roof - otherwise a one man job.

I'm an electrician so the electrical end is not a problem the main problem is time as January is a busy time for us February three April is slow but we leave in February for fla. And dw would like it by then. So trying to pick a weekend to get to it before we leave might be a problem we shall see
Old 12-21-2014, 10:15 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy29847 View Post
I added a second unit to my XLR Toyhauler. I let my RV repair guy do it, primarily because of my concern about lifting the unit up to the roof, and then moving the unit across the roof to the install location. Like you, my trailer was pre-wired for a 2nd AC. The choices I had were size (I picked 13, 500, smaller than the 15,000 btu unit that came with my trailer), color (I took what he had in stock because it was cheaper), did I want it connected to the duct work (no), did I want a heat strip (yes), and did I want a thermostat (I use the controls on the unit).

My dealer had ordered a trailer load of AC units earlier in the year so he was selling them at a special price. Install was ~$250.

The 2nd AC was essential to cooling off the trailer after we stopped during the summer months. I also take comfort in having a back up to the main unit.

The only negative is that the heat strip has minimal effect.

This pic shows the 2nd unit:

Thanks for the input the reason we want to do this is the same as you found that things were ok this year but just ok thought the second ac would help with the normal July and August heat we have here in MD.
Old 12-21-2014, 05:36 PM   #7
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
If you want to make it simple, and since it's prewired, I would go with an A/c unit that has the controls built into it, rather than trying to connect a thermostat or connect it to the OEM thermostat.

The only issue would be getting it on the roof. Once it's on, set the seal, connect the wires, center the unit and bolt it down.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote