Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-12-2007, 12:51 PM   #1

Man, Have I been out of it. Is tis stuff around everywhere now? Am looking at a new coach and it has a 360 Cummins which uses this new fuel. What happens if I use regular diesel fuel?
Thanks
David
Cayman Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-12-2007, 12:51 PM   #2

Man, Have I been out of it. Is tis stuff around everywhere now? Am looking at a new coach and it has a 360 Cummins which uses this new fuel. What happens if I use regular diesel fuel?
Thanks
David
Cayman Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 12:58 PM   #3

Don't worry, you are not going to be able to find regular (Old) fuel unless you go to Mexico.
JerryForwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 01:27 PM   #4

TO; Cayman Dave,

Haven't seen any stations that have old fuel since February. Old pumps used to have labels on them. Do not use in 2007 engines, but they're gone now.

My 2002 runs fine and I don't see any difference in performance or mpg.

Hope this info helps

Thanks==== Aime==
Old 10-13-2007, 05:11 AM   #5

Dave, first a little clarification on your question... Low Sulfer Diesel (LSD) has 500ppm of sulfer. This is actually the 'old' fuel. The new fuel is Ultra Low Sulfer Diesel (ULSD) which has 15ppm sulfer. ULSD MUST be used in the new engines with diesel particulate filter systems. These engines have been manufactured since 1/1/07. Most model year 2007 coaches actually have the non-particulate filter systems in them, as their engines were manufactured prior to 1/1/07, so they are OK to use LSD or ULSD. I am pretty sure any 2008 model year coach has the new system in it, and it requires exclusively the use of ULSD.

Both fuels are still sold, though my experience is that most pumps are labeled ULSD. I have seen some LSD pumps this year, though, in my travels. All pumps must be ULSD by December 1, 2010. My bet is 95% will be ULSD by 2008.

P.S. My experience has been that a station will have either ULSD or LSD exclusively. Not seen both at the same station yet.

ULSD is recommended for use in all diesel engines.

So if you purchase a 2008 coach with a 2007 engine, you MUST use ULSD as the higher sulfer levels will foul the disel particulate filter system and not meet the new emission standard.

If you have a pre-2007 engine (which is what I have) you can burn either ULSD or LSD with no consequences.

Hope this helps. It's a confusing topic.
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 09:23 AM   #6

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JerryForwood:
Don't worry, you are not going to be able to find regular (Old) fuel unless you go to Mexico. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just finished a 2000 mile trip and found that FJ in KY had only three lanes of USLD and balance all were LSD. Thus one does have to be alert if you need ULSD.
Old 10-13-2007, 09:40 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Fuel stations with a low volume of diesel sales will likely still have LSD rather than ULSD. That's because they cannot claim they have ULSD at the pump until they have refilled their existing LSD tanks with ULSD a certain number of times (I think it is 3), so that the mix of fuel in the tanks is predominantly ULSD. High volume stations generally meet the requirement within a few weeks, but seasonal places (e.g. Alaska stations) or small towns with few diesel customers might take a long time to sell enough fuel to use the ULSD label. The fuel they receive from their distributor will be ULSD, but they can't label the pump as ULSD until they meet the requirements.

Mexico does not have a ULSD requirement, so be careful. I suspect that some/many stations near the border are OK, but others???
Gary RVRoamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 04:18 PM   #8

I just got back from trip from Wisconsin to Oregon on to the Canadian rockies and back through Canada on the trans Canada highway. My 2008 View with 2007 Mercedes v6 diesel requires ULSD. I had a hard time finding ULSD in the western states. Some stations said their tanks had ULSD but they had not changed the signs on the pumps. I did not trust them and searched out stations with pumps labeled ULSD. I was told by Forum members from Canada not to worry about Canadian stations as they have all switched to ULSD. Some of the stations in Canada did not have pumps labeled ULSD but station managers said they had switched. Another thing to watch for with the new diesels is oil. My view requires a Mercedes spec. of 295.51, very hard to find Europe spec oil. My local Dodge Sprinter dealer said they got a notice to open the spec to 295.5 ie Mobil 0w40 which you can find. I used this on my 10,000 mile oil change. Not sure the difference but my Sprinter manual says to only use one qt 295.5 if you have to add oil. A little confusing. Dealer said I was covered as far as warranty as my vin brought up on their computer Mobil 0w40 he said oil spec has to do with ash content.
Pete