Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-17-2007, 03:34 AM   #1

I am about to buy a coach the runs this low sulfur fuel. I have not lived in the US for the last several years. Is this fuel easy to come by?
What about Canada and Mexico?
Regards
David
Cayman Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-17-2007, 03:34 AM   #2

I am about to buy a coach the runs this low sulfur fuel. I have not lived in the US for the last several years. Is this fuel easy to come by?
What about Canada and Mexico?
Regards
David
Old 10-17-2007, 04:25 AM   #3
Community Moderator

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
David;

I believe all diesel fuel in the US is now Ultra Low Sulfur (15 ppm). I works well in the older engines too. The refiners add a lubricity additive to make up for the drop in sulfur. Sorry I can't answer your question about Canada.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Adopted by a great couple, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 07:17 AM   #4

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Petro:
David;

I believe all diesel fuel in the US is now Ultra Low Sulfur (15 ppm). I works well in the older engines too. The refiners add a lubricity additive to make up for the drop in sulfur. Sorry I can't answer your question about Canada.

Don </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is definitely not true. There are many stations that sell only LSD and not ULSD. There is the rule that 85% of the diesel produced is ULSD but it is not evenly distributed. Particularly the east coast of the US has a lot of LSD. In my opinion the owners of the new ULSD engines have a problem at present. They will have to do research to find which stations have ULSD and plan their fillups accordingly. The 85% rule is hard to correlate with the number of LSD only stations I find and it is surprising. It could even be that the diesel companies are not complying with the rule.
Cummins 6.7 ISB, Allison 2100 6 Speed
J Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 08:27 AM   #5

Well,
Went to Cummins web site and they don't list the ISC with 360 HP, they do list it with 330 HP. No information about whether it is ULSD or ULD fuel, so much for the manufacture. I called the coach manufacture but got voice mail. This is a 2008 unit, which I probably will not buy if it is a ULSD engine, who need the hassel. So if anyone knows I'd appreciate the information.
Thanks a million for the information.
David
Old 10-17-2007, 08:46 AM   #6
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
All 2008 coaches with 2007 engines/chassis will require ULSD, unless the coach manufacturer had some 2006 engine/chassis left over and all diesel engines manufactured from 01/01/2007 will require ULSD, so it's a moot point.

There may be a few 2008 coaches with 2006 engines/chassis left, but you would have to call around to find one.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 08:50 AM   #7

Dirk, I am betting that they built the last of the 2006 engines into 2007 model year coaches, to keep it 'cleaner'. So my bet is that all 2008 coaches have the new engine setup.
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 09:01 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Newmar did indeed have some leftover chassis. Don't know about other coach builders.

My post from Sept 4;

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Posted September 04, 2007 03:10 PM
I spoke to Larry Mullet at Newmar this morning, and here is the latest update.

There are just a few Ventana chassis left with the old LSD engines. He stated they could be sold at any moment.

There are approximately 50 Kountry Star chassis available with the old LSD engines.

All other chassis/models are being built with the new ULSD engines.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Old 10-17-2007, 10:48 AM   #9

Jay,
I thank that you may have some misinformation.
I just got off the phone with Cummins Diesel. If a gas station only has one diesel pump it must by law, as off Jan.1 07, pump ULSD. If they have two pumps they can sell to "farm equipment" only. Which means you cannot put it in your RV tank.
David
Old 10-17-2007, 11:09 AM   #10

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Cayman Dave:
Jay,
I thank that you may have some misinformation.
I just got off the phone with Cummins Diesel. If a gas station only has one diesel pump it must by law, as off Jan.1 07, pump ULSD. If they have two pumps they can sell to "farm equipment" only. Which means you cannot put it in your RV tank.
David </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I can't tell who you are responding to, but my post if from personal experience. I have not found ULDS on the east coast, mid-Atlantic states and I am finding it is somewhat more than half of the stations in the southwest. I am now in OKC. The official statements don't bear up in practice. I am driving a diesel pusher and buying the fuel so it doesn't get any more real than that.
Cummins 6.7 ISB, Allison 2100 6 Speed
J Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 11:34 AM   #11

Jim,
I am responding to your post. I then talked to Cummins and told you what they told me. The law as of the first of 07 said that if there is only one pump then it has to be ULDS fuel. I cannot imagine the problem that will be arising if this fuel isn't completely avaliable to all coach owners.
As for all the new coach owners they have no choice in the engine or fuel it will use.
David
Old 10-17-2007, 11:54 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Jim, In 2007 I have been from Florida to New York and from the East Coast to Wyoming/Colorado. All I have found is ULSD fuel.

Dave, If you remain concerned consider going here to the Flying J web site. I use the J almost exclusively when traveling. Get their RV Real Value Card. You'll get the cash price - 1 cent per gallon (even when using a CC). The J web site has the location of all their stores. I print the list and am good to go.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 12:29 PM   #13

It's all most impossible to not find ULSD. The refineries were responsible to produce ULSD starting June 1, 2006 and be up to 80% of production by October 15th. They exceeded the target by going over 90% by that date and in April of this year hit all most 3 million gallons per day. Thus, the total available production of LSD is something less than 10% of production. The EPA did find a problem in labeling during on site inspections recently. 30% of pumps were labeled LSD but 90% of them were ULSD. The have sent warnings of fines of up to $32,000/day if the offenders don't get the labeling properly done. I just finished an across country trip MT to SC via MI/IN/OH and found only one stop where LSD was a major player and that was a FJ in KY that had 3 pumps of ULSD and balance LSD.
Old 10-17-2007, 12:41 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">30% of pumps were labeled LSD but 90% of them were ULSD. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's about what I have found.