Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-08-2017, 01:28 PM   #1

LP vs Gas vs Diesel generator

We are shopping for a B+ in the 25' - 28' foot range and the fuel type of the generator is giving me fits. I envision a good bit of genny use as we have an 85# dog that needs to stay cool while we go shopping, swimming, and such.

I like the idea of diesel power for the vehicle; torque, mileage, engine life. Most of the diesel rigs have LP generators though. LP is not an efficient fuel for an engine. What approx. run time could be expected when powering the A/C? LP is also a pain to get filled and I want to do it as little as possible. I have seen diesel gennies occasionally but they add weight to the chassis and $$ to the price.

Am I destined to have a Ford gas engine? I think I answered my own question!

Thanks for reading and replying!
TimeAweigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-08-2017, 01:37 PM   #2

Unless you do a LOT of driving, like 50k++ miles per year, you will never get the additional outlay for the diesel chassis back.

If you are talking about a diesel B vs a gas C you are also talking about a big difference in interior space and layouts.

In the VAST majority of situations it's pretty hard to beat a Ford V10 chassis for a mid to larger size unit.
Old 06-08-2017, 01:55 PM   #3

I'll second Murf2U. I too thought I should get a diesel coach but after looking at what they are costing, said forget it. Our V10 pretty much will out run a diesel up a hill, mainly because most DP weight quite a bit more than gas. A 30' Class A DP we were looking at had aprox 600 ft torque and weighted in at around 29K-lbs. Our 3 valve V10 is rated at around 400+ ft torque and weighs 17,500. And difference in price was around $30K. Granted the noise is more for a gas engine, but not crazy and it will tow 8000 lbs. Getting to the question of generators though. I've seen in the past diesel generators are really noisy and are a lot more compacted. If they are using LP though, I'm thinking because it burn much cleaner, maintenance would be a lot easier. Not having to change the oil as much, no carb to deal with etc. Our Onan gas has been trouble free from the get go. Really doesn't use that much gas either. And can be service by myself.
Old 06-08-2017, 03:48 PM   #4

Sorry I went the other way and will never switch back. I love my quite diesel. It sips diesel and I cannot tell when it is running. I can have it on and be sitting over top of it and hold a conversation without yelling. Sorry guys I went with a little older unit with very low mileage and in mint condition just so I get the diesel gen.
badturks5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 03:55 PM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I've had all three types even a propane one in a DP and I will NEVER have another propane unit. Far noisier than a liquid cooled diesel and burn far more fuel than the diesel one.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 04:51 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeAweigh View Post
...Most of the diesel rigs have LP generators though. LP is not an efficient fuel for an engine...
My experience is the opposite...most diesel coaches have diesel generators...why put an LP gen in a diesel coach? Many DPs are now all electric, no LP even in the rig.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 05:30 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat320 View Post
My experience is the opposite...most diesel coaches have diesel generators...why put an LP gen in a diesel coach? Many DPs are now all electric, no LP even in the rig.
He is talking about Class B+ 23 ft, Mercedes powered MHs, not diesel pushers.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 06:15 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by badturks5 View Post
Sorry I went the other way and will never switch back.

As twinboat mentioned already, the OP is talking about a "B+ in the 25' - 28' range" NOT a 40' DP.
Old 06-08-2017, 06:21 PM   #9

I've got a 6K gas genie at the house. An Onan 2800 LP in our Class B. Now aA 3.6KW Onan LP in the View Profile. The Onans are way quieter because they are 'boxed.' Double enclosed in the View the Onan 'box' built into a cubby in the side of the RV.

All generators used in RVs must meet the Forest Service requirements for sound levels. They are all measured at the same at distance. The difference is that a diesel has a lower (to my ear) a more annoying tone and vibration compared to an LP.

The Onan choice in a Class C: the LP is a 3.6KW vs 3.2KW diesel. So, consider how much wattage you need as the first requirement and not what fuel you prefer. You can never have too many watts.

LP is lighter and way less expensive. (= more KW/$$$$)

If you intend to use the genny for MANY HOURS a day. But remember in almost all diesel gennie/RV setups, the genie's fuel is limited to the top 2/3 of the fuel tank so you have fuel to drive home. LP, does it all but probably more suited for the average RV owners who use the genny sporadically. Which is what 99% of RVers do. Usually, you have other LP appliances: water heater, fridge, stove, furnace.... so 99.9% of the time you are going to carry LP.

Gas & diesel units are high maintenance compared to clean burning LP units. Diesels stink. LP not so much. Neither LP, gas or diesel are 'easy' to work on, so that should figure in to your plans.

I've never had a problem finding LP. There's a fill station at nearly every CG and truck stop. Or, a local LP facility if you want.

As to diesel or gas coach.... you will get 30-50% better fuel economy out of a diesel coach of the same size and weight. There's no free lunch... diesel cost more but you use less as a rule.

I've no clue what a "B+" is..... they are either Bs (built in a van chassis) or a C (built on a chassis cab).
Old Crows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 07:45 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Gens, same fuel as RV, gas or diesel especially if you want long run times. Propane Gen would be a deal killer for me.

LEN
Old 06-09-2017, 07:58 AM   #11

I have a LP onan genny in mine and yes it does use more fuel it seems but one plus is the carb never gets gummed up and is always ready to fire up. And the engine oil stays as clean as when you first put it in. So I guess there is draw backs from all . It's just personal preference
Poohbear7278 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 08:14 AM   #12

Thanks for all the responses!

Gasoline it will be for the future motor buggy.

Fair skies and tailwinds for your weekend!
TimeAweigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 09:00 AM   #13

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by OLYLEN View Post
Gens, same fuel as RV, gas or diesel especially if you want long run times. Propane Gen would be a deal killer for me.

LEN
Same for me ...gen must run same fuel as the rv.
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, gas, generator